Dreambox - Should I, Shouldn't I

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
Can you hear yours gameboy?

Just a bit, but not that I would notice - only if someone points it out.

The drive only runs during record and playback, if that helps. Most noise is apparent if you are scanning a recording and the drive is having to skip sectors.

If you want I can find out what drive they installed and let you know?

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
gameboy said:
My 7000s came with a 160 gig installed and it runs cool - it has the extra vent slots on the left hand side.
Any chance of a piccie (or a link), so I can duplicate them :)
My DM7000 is one of the ORIGINAL models, blue display, PSU fixes added etc, and runs warm with the HDD active, so its well out of warranty ;)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
djlemur said:
Any chance of a piccie (or a link), so I can duplicate them :)
My DM7000 is one of the ORIGINAL models, blue display, PSU fixes added etc, and runs warm with the HDD active, so its well out of warranty ;)

Look at
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/Bereiche/Produkte/gallerie7000.php
and click on top right image to enlarge
For crissake dont get any swarf on the PCB

gameboy said:
If you want I can find out what drive they installed and let you know?

Thnx, that would be helpful to know. Eventually, I will stash the box in my study along withj PC and Apples so noise is a partial issue. Remote conttrol will then be my laptop via wifi to LAN.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
It's a Seagate Ultra ATA U Series 9 ST3160022ACE

Web info here...

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/ata/st3160022a.html

Interesting that no mention of speed is included.

160 GB Seagate ST3160022ACE
USerie9, 5400U/Min. U-DMA100, 2MB Cache, max. Betr...

83Eu from first German dealer I looked at. So add that to the 280Eu I paid for D/B and it looks a nice total package.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
83Eu from first German dealer I looked at. So add that to the 280Eu I paid for D/B and it looks a nice total package.

You will also need an IDE HDD drive cable and HDD drive power cable as you are buy the DB and Drive. Plus a UK plug - you can cut off the euro plug and fit the UK one.

Ethernet cable (crossover if direct connected to PC or to flash) normal if using a hub. A null modem cable is also useful for those few times when only new flash will fix it.

Have fun.

gb2

Reaction score
haggard said:
160 GB Seagate ST3160022ACE
USerie9, 5400U/Min. U-DMA100, 2MB Cache, max. Betr...

where did you get the DB for 280eur?!?
thanks,

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gb2 said:
where did you get the DB for 280eur?!?
thanks,
Ah sorry for that. I tend to forget. I registered myself as a company and also for VAT so when buying from another Eu company it isnt charged (nor paid in UK either, unless I sell it on.) Its a legit Co. Her in doors is a TV director and does a lot of work around world. I need to archive all her stuff So the D/B is a godsend. Thats why she's a ManU fan. She left me once for 2 wks to go to Florida with RGiggs to make avideo of him - Home and Away. She came back and has hardly missed a game since. Do we all recall those heady days of C+N on D2mac when the codes would change 5 mins into the match - - - - I suspect the new generation dont know what it was like to live thru the 'war'.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
How about an easy suggestion - flash with a Hydra image.
I am using the B1 image at the moment. It is a beta but very stable. A new version is out - Lucian I think it is called. When I get time I will load it and try it out. Current reports say it is very good.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
BonceChops said:
...Lucian I think it is called...
I have it here, it does at least as well as Olympia on a "Complex" setup :)
It seems to have transferred the entire of /var onto the HDD, which alieviates that load on the small flash.

BTW, If anyone is interested, an easy way to find you lat/long (required for a gotox setup) is to enter your postcode into Streetmap.co.uk, then there is a tiny link at the bottom that says click here to convert coordinates...