Dreambox - Should I, Shouldn't I

markse

Reaction score
My Location
Tjörn, Sweden
Hi All,
After reading most of the threads here I am thinking of buying a Drembox but I would like a little advice first, please....

1) Which one? 9000,9020 or the 9080 ?
2) If I get the 9000 can I install my own hard drive?
3) Are they easy to set up and use?
4) Do I need a computer with Linux installed, or is XP ok ?

I live in Sweden. At the moment I have two seperate sat. boxes. One for c***x (blue tit. card, works fine).
The other a samsung for v**sat (which no longer works with my f**card, no thanks to the N.*.S. system, still able to view a few channels).
Would I be able to view extra channels?

As always many thanks for your help and answers

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
markse said:
Hi All,
1) Which one? 9000,9020 or the 9080 ?
2) If I get the 9000 can I install my own hard drive?
3) Are they easy to set up and use?
4) Do I need a computer with Linux installed, or is XP ok ?

1) Don't see these boxes on official website - don't think they have been released yet. Present boxes 7000s, 5620 and 500.
2) The 7000 will allow you to install your own hard drive - make sure it is on that is on the approved list (on the official website). Other don't have that option.
3) A little computer knowledge and the correct connections (Internet broadband would help) you should be up and running in a short time.
4) No, you don't need Linux, a PC or Mac will do so long as you can ftp to the box.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
[
Hi
I have one ordered myself and should have it Mon or tue. I think the model numbers you were lookina at are the the old Nokia ones. The 7000 one Ver 4 is the latest and you can buy a hard drive for it later, Go to the dream web and you will find a bit about them there, You will need to know your way around a computer as well. Im just getting mine as a challenge, so will be posting a lot to get it up and working. looking throught threads the last few weeks and trying to pick up here and there but you really need to have it in front of you.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I'm also thinking of getting one (DM 500S) and after reading about it in What Sat I'm even more convinced this could be the machine for me, but after reading about some member's problems I just don't know.
It say's at the end of this report (What Sat) that almost anything can be done with this receiver.
For example can it give my wife all the Russian channels on Hotbird & Sirius, and as for me all the Prem footy to keep me happy.
Just what will it pick up ?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Generally speaking, anything where the plain keys are known, so pretty similar to a DVB card. Makes sense really, as it's just another computer!

To find out what that is, just browse a recent s*ftcam.key file in notepad.

markse

Reaction score
My Location
Tjörn, Sweden
Many thanks for your words of wisdom.
I don't think I should have a problem programming the Dreambox, lol (*sitting here with his fingers crossed*).
I have a great PC with a very quick broadband connection.
At the moment I have a dish with two heads (Sirus & Thor) which limits the programs I can watch, but I'll think I shall invest in a new dish with four heads (Sirus, Thor, Astra & Hotbird) - are the files easy to find for these channels? What c*rds or c*ms would I require?
Once again cheers for everything

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
I can add to positive statements about dreambox. It's a quite fast learning curve and if there are any negative statements about it then they prob come from people who didnt know what they were buying i.e. someone who doesnt know how to configure IP or ftp etc. You have to be PC or Mac literate to benefit from the smart work done by the firmware modders. But if you think you can switch it on and see every channel in Europe clear, think again.

In the spirit of the board, Ive been learning to drive my 7000S, since I got it a week ago, reading heavily here and there in Engl and Germn. I'm running a mod image (ruDream) and I can see the box on screen (blue button) where I am supposed to choose an emu, but it is blank. I have loaded folders - keys and secce but I guess I'm missing something else. It will save me a day if someone can tell me what I miss.
I have got it to partially decode using a 6in1 in a reflashed irdeto (4.7 to fun 5.1) but I regard this as just a learning step on the way to soft emuing.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
I'm running a mod image (ruDream) and I can see the box on screen (blue button) where I am supposed to choose an emu, but it is blank.

Are you using a Peter Pan image?

If you are try...

Mainmenu > setup > Manager addons > Download Plugins > Emus > NewCamd 5.19

The box should restart and the blue button will be active and you can find your way from the options listed.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
Are you using a Peter Pan image?

If you are try...

Mainmenu > setup > Manger addons > Download Plugins > Emus > NewCamd 5.19

The box should restart and the blue button will be active and you can find your way from the options listed.

gameboy
Thnx for that tip.
I shall give it a whirl this evng.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I heard the Dreambox tuner isn't very sensitive.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
MacAddict said:
I have heared so too, but not noticed anything.

I have read one posting on a forum somewhere from someone who said his new DB had an insensitive tuner. It might be a one-off or it might be generally true. I think we don't know.
I know that my dBox1 has a more sensitive tuner than my stupidly bought Force 1122. Now I have a DB7000S as well, I will do some parallel checks on dBox1 versus DB7000S and post the results.
I will do the following:
I will tune to a strong station with dBox1 and then progressively cover the 90cm dish with a wet towel till the signal just drops out. I will then back off till I get the signal back, just. I will then tune to same channel with DB7000 and see what happens.

This reminds me, if anyone is wondering whether their dish is fully illuminated by sat beam or whether trees have grown etc, then this is almost the time of year for a twice a year check. During first 10 days of Oct, the Sun does directly along Clarke belt as viewed from UK. So if you are lucky to get a sunny day, and your dish is completely out of shadow from (say) 10 am till 4 pm, then you will receive everything from Turksat E to Hispasat W. Otherwise note the shadows and do some 3 dimensional coordinate geometry on the surface of a sphere to decide whether you see e.g. 1W. Or ask me.

I wish everyone on the forum a terrific week end.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
What if your towel dries out a bit between tests, or you need to have a shower during receiver swap? ;)

Have a good one.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
What if your towel dries out a bit between tests, or you need to have a shower during receiver swap? ;)

Have a good one.

Now then . . .
I'm in NW; nothing dries out these days.

re tip from Gameboy re PP and addons

Flashed with PP.
The menu item
manager addons is inactive and does nothing
Reflashed to ruDream
manager addons works there and I can either try with all_in_one file in tmp or try downloading from web.
Result is same for both
size is too big to install
and I get told to remove some addons or choose another carrier (?)

I cant be first to hit this one.
How to get round it?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
Flashed with PP.
The menu item
manager addons is inactive and does nothing
Reflashed to ruDream
manager addons works there and I can either try with all_in_one file in tmp or try downloading from web.
Result is same for both
size is too big to install
and I get told to remove some addons or choose another carrier (?)

Maybe you have some legacy items left by another image. You shouldn't need to flash on startup in version 1.08 but have you tried that?
Remember you will lose the Sat positions, etc. back up the image to your PC before you try this.

Other suggestion is more drastic - null modem - new base image - upgrade to PP. That should clear out any extras that may be causing the problem.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
Maybe you have some legacy items left by another image. You shouldn't need to flash on startup in version 1.08 but have you tried that?
Remember you will lose the Sat positions, etc. back up the image to your PC before you try this.

Other suggestion is more drastic - null modem - new base image - upgrade to PP. That should clear out any extras that may be causing the problem.

Thnx Gameboy
I just tried an erase first before flashing instead of flashing on top of existing img and that has brought up the missing menus and also the blue button is now active.
Move on to next stage now. I guess I will have it going properly the day the last provider shuts the door on us . . . . .

I have noticed that null modem, despite being slow, is reliable. I had 2 failures using my LAN thru hub. Maybe cat5 xover is also safe.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
@haggard - If you have a hard disk in your DM7000S, you'll find the best, safest AND fastest method of flashing it is to use the 'root.cramfs' method.

Try some searches on Google (only if you have a HD).

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
@haggard - If you have a hard disk in your DM7000S, you'll find the best, safest AND fastest method of flashing it is to use the 'root.cramfs' method.

Try some searches on Google (only if you have a HD).

Thnx BGonaSTICK
Ive had the DB less than a week! and I will get & insert HD soon.
Given Unix base of Mac OSX, you'ld think that would be natural way to link to DB and do things like that. I was thinking of capturing to my Apple linked external 200GB anyway. What about a 1GB stick on USB for flashing? The DB runs cool without HD and I'd only put one in if it offered big advntge not otherwise achievable.
4 days on from delivery, I got evrything working and the clue was T_G mentioning the image he uses. Thnx T_G and also gameboy for pointing out the need to erase before loading new image and not just load on top.. Image mentioned was Hydra with Schaedelmeisters adds for 5600 and I went for nearest thing for 7000. D/L-ed Marys keys from blue button menu and it was alles klar. Well, not quite alles, but at least MV-8 by 3 pm. The other clue is doing what it says on the tin.

Seems to me the timebomb waiting is if ruDream team stop supporting and others follow and then e.g. the Marys D/L fails because the site is gone.
Time to start learning how to hack the f/w . . . . .

Anyway, highlight yestrdy was the look on Her Indoors' face half way thru 2nd half when the 2nd ManU goal was rightly diallowed and I called up the DB on its webpage by wifi from my G4 tit laptop and put message on screen:-
Hi J. Another Bud? or a cup of tea?

Hers indoorses need looking after when you're fidddling with boxes for hours on end. Its an advntge of serial cable, time enough to pamper her.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
My 7000s came with a 160 gig installed and it runs cool - it has the extra vent slots on the left hand side.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
My 7000s came with a 160 gig installed and it runs cool - it has the extra vent slots on the left hand side.

Yes, I've got the slots and a ser numb with 1st 2 digits greater than 39 and amber display, so its as new as it gets. It was a good price and I would want to make sure any HD is the quietest there is and doesnt rotate too fast. Can you hear yours gameboy? Im pleased to hear it runs cool with HD in.