Dreambox Streaming ( DM 7020-S )

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
3X DM800, 1X DM7020, 1.2Meter Gibi + Jaeger 1224 H-H Motor, 80CM Fixed Dish, TV Ports in every room - ZonedHost.com Administrator
My Location
U.K.
Hi is it possible to stream from the box over the network to a shoutcast dedicated server i think it is possible there must be a plugin around or someone could create a addon for me any hints would be great thanks

Footylad

reason being that wire trailing around the house to pc isn't easy would be better when it is goin from the wireless conenction on the box to the web as i think anyone would think so utilise the stuff the dreambox 7020-s i have has to offer

FOOTYLAD :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Streaming over your wireless connection can result in poor results in my experience, as 11g does not really have enough spare capacity. Reformatting of the stream would cause a significant delay and require some hefty processing, but it has been done IIRC. Search the forum for more.

STICK

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
3X DM800, 1X DM7020, 1.2Meter Gibi + Jaeger 1224 H-H Motor, 80CM Fixed Dish, TV Ports in every room - ZonedHost.com Administrator
My Location
U.K.
thanks mate

my whole house runs on wirless network i stream of a wirless pc at 250kb to my shoutcast streaming server not a problem. I no it will work as bandwith is the issue from the server and my server bandiwth is huge so not a problem there. Its getting the box to stream out onto the server any plugins ngrab stremaing i belive but is that just for vlc someone help me p.s shoutcast a a winamp bassed streaming application if you never knew

Thanks

Footylad :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm not an expert in this area, but I do use the VLC client on the PC to watch the stream directly from the dreambox via the web interface. I use an 11g connection, and it's marginal on bandwidth if the wireless connection is not at 100% sig. That is also due in part to both the bridge and the WAP suffering from being overwhealmed by the huge volume of data, a known problem with my specific (Linksys) hardware/firmware.

My knowledge beyond that is not much cop I'm afraid.

:-ohmy

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
BGonaSTICK said:
I'm not an expert in this area, but I do use the VLC client on the PC to watch the stream directly from the dreambox via the web interface. I use an 11g connection, and it's marginal on bandwidth if the wireless connection is not at 100% sig. That is also due in part to both the bridge and the WAP suffering from being overwhealmed by the huge volume of data, a known problem with my specific (Linksys) hardware/firmware.

My knowledge beyond that is not much cop I'm afraid.

:-ohmy

yer thanks for your help mate

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
DarkInLove said:
hello boys, you are open [edit] now!
differnet language i don't speeck have msn to guide me through ??

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
it can be done someone told me he does it but isn't letting me know at the mo as not a thcik in friends wise

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Yeah, i wrote somewhere about transcoding the dreambox output using VLC, and broadcasting it that way over the net. Tricky, and limited by the small ADSL upload bandwidth. Looking forward to my ADSL2 connection, and the increased upload speed and what I can do with that.

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
yazooo said:
Yeah, i wrote somewhere about transcoding the dreambox output using VLC, and broadcasting it that way over the net. Tricky, and limited by the small ADSL upload bandwidth. Looking forward to my ADSL2 connection, and the increased upload speed and what I can do with that.

you sound promosing can you at all help me my output bandwith will take a 210kb stream easilly as i do with coxial cable but don't really want to do that any more help will be highly apreciated

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
Right, well dont know if its what you need, but read this thread I started first. http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=53249

I basically figured how to stream from DB7020 using VLC, and then transcode the video and broadcast over my net connection. You're limited by upload bandwidth which is 256k for most ADSL, however I'm getting ADSL2 soon, where I will have 1.3Mbit upload, so looking forward to the increase, will really be able to put out a decent stream then. The only thing I haven't really solved is an easy method of changing channels, but it is doable. Once you've read that, you can try this in VLC, its got all the settings for a transcode:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,vb=192,scale=0.5,acodec=mp3,ab=64,fps=15,channels=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,url=:8154}}

Ok, from right to left, you have the video codec to transcode into, I found this one to best quality but you may wanna try divx.

Video bitrate, important number, you wanna maximise it obviously, but you cant go too high due to upload limitations.

Scale, reduce the resolution of the video, makes it a small window on the stream, can be maximised and still looks ok. Audio codec, mp3, not tried much else there.

Audio bitrate, 64k, pretty much the lowest acceptable.

Turning down the frames per second of the output to 15 gives alot smoother output.

Channels 1 cuts down the audio again, this is a pretty skimpy transcode, but I've found it watchable.

MMSH is the streaming protocol, so in windows media player, you could access the stream mms://your.ip:port.

Muxing type, asf is the only one compatible with those settings.

Finally the port you're going to broadcast on, 8154 here.

So for instance, plug all that into VLC, and you wont be able to see directly what you're outputting. If you open WMP, then goto mms://127.0.0.1:8154 you will see you're output. Good luck, anymore questions, maybe talk you through it.

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
this is great mate is it possible to stream it to my dedicated shoutcast server rather than my own provided widows media player stream apossed to the winamp player stream i am intending it to be on ??

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
p.s i wouldn't mind a talk through if poss READ ur pms from days ago should have some info to sort us out ;)

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
i'm a little confused what it is exactly you want to do? i'm not too familiar with shoutcast, but from what i know its an audio streaming solution by the guys behind winamp? so what are we trying to stream here exactly, and to what?

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
winamp isn't just audio now its audio and video streaming at high quality at mp4 quality i belive. That code that you sent me for mms streams i wonder weather will substitute into the shoutcast http:// stream and i can put in a password to stream to server as password is needed to conenct read your Personal Message's here at the forum and procied with contacting me further

Thanks

Footylad :D

footylad

Reaction score
Website
zonedhost.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
U.K.
any more for me people ??