DreamBox vs SkyStar

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
Has anybody got any views on which is the best setup ...... DreamBox 7000s with an image, (I know you all have your preferences!!), or SkyStar with ProgDVB ??

I've got all the necessary equipment, PC with XP, LCD Hi-Def Screens and I'm currently using an old faithful Humax FI-CI with a superb Toroidal dish with 6 LNBs on it, (will go to 8 with the new set up).

mick32

Reaction score
My Location
Newcastle
Well personally i think its down to personal preference i chose a skystar2 and use alt dvb and have no trouble...one mans poison is another mans,,,whats the word..rofl

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Skystar2 is great for the money, but a dreambox will undoubtedly give you a lot more options.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, agree with prof, and would add that you are comparing chalk and cheese, I have both, I play around occasionally with the Skystar, but use the Dreambox for my viewing.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
Yes, agree with prof, and would add that you are comparing chalk and cheese, I have both, I play around occasionally with the Skystar, but use the Dreambox for my viewing.
Snap.

If you can't decide, add fifty quid to the price of your Dreambox, and have both! Great backup in case your image goes doo-doo just before the match!

STICK

messerschmitt

Reaction score
I have both, totally agree with the guy's above, dreambox is fantastic for general use, skystar for £50 can't go wrong.

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
I prefer Skystar2 just to watch news channels while working on the computer but to watch movie or other programs its better on a TV and Receiver.

MacAddict

Reaction score
I assume that if your machine is not far from your tv, you can still use it for viewing, with a good graphic card.

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
I use a 22" Samsung wide screen LCD with a DVI interface as both TV & monitor. The high resolution and digital interface gives me photo like image when I play mpegs and I assume that the quality will be the same with the SkyStar and also when streaming from the DreamBox ....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Which bank did you rob? O-Ha

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, me too, but a permie. I think that they got more out of me than I got out of them though...:rolleyes: