Dreambox with wireless-ethernet bridge?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Slap me down if this is unreasonable, but could this be made to work?

I have to admit that I've not ploughed my way through all the goodies in this section, or RTFM, but that's simply because I'd like to see if this is feasible before I invest the time and effort.

I've got my 10/100 cat5-wired LAN in one part of the house, and the usual telly/home entertainment stuff in the lounge, and was considering building a 'media-centre' PC with wireless connection into my LAN. This would live beside the telly and provide satellite (mainly) and other media to my TV/home cinema amp etc.

But then I'm thinking Dreambox! Ethernet-based software/firmware updates from my existing LAN and media-file transfer/streaming as well!?!

Why re-invent the wheel, even though Micro$oft seem hell bent on doing just that?

My networking and Linux skills are OK, but I don't know much about wireless.

Anyone done it or see any insurmountable problems? Think I'd go for 11g over b 'cos it seems daft not to.

Comments? Deafening silence? Histerical laughter?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that it is possible and seen to remember seeing a post regarding wireless connection of the DB using a wireless access point and bridging, more than that I cannot remember.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I prefer to just slap you down :D for the simple reason thatt I haven't got a clue about what you are talking about...

But I will find out in th4 German sites if there is anything about this.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, you guys better bloomin' bail me out over the next few weeks.... I just bought the DM7000s from HM-Sat.de!

Think I'm gonna be spendin' a lotta time in this section!

Will be shaving my head b4 it arrives (to save the pain later....).

Picking up one of these babys soon too. Just to add to the confusion!

http://wvvw.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=432

Got to expand my LAN capacity first, so I can add my WAP.

Wife wasn't happy, so I had to buy her some stoopid garden furniture to stay married!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Couldn't get the poduct link to work BG, which product is it?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
rolfw said:
Couldn't get the poduct link to work BG, which product is it?
I edit my links to make them dead (wvvw).

It's the WET11, though they also make the WET54G (11.g as opposed to 11.:cool:
but it's a bit more pricey.

They just plug in with no drivers! Recommended for STB's!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Well, the minute you have the thing working with LAN I expect a full report including screenshots so I can add this to my idiot guide. It has to be written so that even I can understand how, who, why and what! Let me know when you are ready for it!
Make no mistake about the seriousness of this, failure to comply will have serious implication on your reproductive equipment*

TG

*You might gonna have to use some sort of LAN for that as well as a direct link would not be possible anymore O-Ha

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
T_G said:
Well, the minute you have the thing working with LAN I expect a full report including screenshots so I can add this to my idiot guide. It has to be written so that even I can understand how, who, why and what! Let me know when you are ready for it!
Make no mistake about the seriousness of this, failure to comply will have serious implication on your reproductive equipment*

TG

*You might gonna have to use some sort of LAN for that as well as a direct link would not be possible anymore O-Ha
No probs, though you are welcome to my reproductive equipment as it stopped working years ago (...my CD burner that is...).

Don't worry, if I get it working, you wont need screenshots. You be able to hear me from Germany!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BGonaSTICK said:
No probs, though you are welcome to my reproductive equipment as it stopped working years ago (...my CD burner that is...).

Hehehe you got me there!! I am closing though the specific subject relating to your reproductive parts before we are going to get deleted by Rolf, but I learned my lesson: Will be a bit more accurate next time concerning the exact location of any of your personal equipment that will be removed chemically (or alternatively mechanically with the help of a blunt object such as an Amstrad Digibox) in case of non-cooperation with regards to the continuing development of the Dreambox Idiot Guide!

PS: What did you say??? Eh???? What??????

rednose

Reaction score
....the asus wl-300 for 11 mps or for video streaming the asus wl-330g (54mps)

MacAddict

Reaction score
I am a fan of Netgear and have one as my adsl wireless router. I too may go down the the ethernet bridge for the dreambox . ask if you need any help.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thanks.

Have now got both the WAP working, and the bridge installed on a seperate PC to test the 54G link, and all is working well. I'm accessing my ADSL link wirelessly now!

Should just be a case of plugging the bridge into the Dreambox. Everything is now configured in the WAP and the Bridge with 128bit WEP.

Can't wait for my DB to arrive. Should be here Friday. Wot a big kid I am!

Now I just gotta swap out my old 4-port Intel hub for an 8-port job (so I can plug all my PC's back in!), swap my LNB for a new twin job (got the Invacom 0.3 again, as am V. impressed with this single version), so I can run my SS2 and my DB at the same time, and replace the coax into my lounge with some decent digital stuff.

STICK

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
By the sound of it , you appear to have got off very lightly with a new set of garden furniture for the breadknife BG.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BGonaSTICK said:
Thanks.

Have now got both the WAP working, and the bridge installed on a seperate PC to test the 54G link, and all is working well. I'm accessing my ADSL link wirelessly now!Should just be a case of plugging the bridge into the Dreambox. Everything is now configured in the WAP and the Bridge with 128bit WEP.Can't wait for my DB to arrive. Should be here Friday. Wot a big kid I am!Now I just gotta swap out my old 4-port Intel hub for an 8-port job (so I can plug all my PC's back in!), swap my LNB for a new twin job (got the Invacom 0.3 again, as am V. impressed with this single version), so I can run my SS2 and my DB at the same time, and replace the coax into my lounge with some decent digital stuff.

STICK

Look Sticky mate, you are playing with fire here! I could not understand any of those things and letter combinations you are throwing around! So here is one for you: If you won't use NEACU * in the Dreambox Forum then IARGTGPO ** :D

* Normal English Anyone Can Understand
** I Am Really Going To Get Pissed Off

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
HaHa!

Look, it's simple, instead of pluging the Dreambox into a PC, I've pluged it into my network, to which in turn my PC's are attached. Instead of using a wire, I bought some fancy wireless sh1t, with one box at each end where there would normally have been a plug.

I've got to make it sound complicated, or the wife will go mad that I spent £115 on an invisible piece of wire!

Now where's that idiot guide gone...

Oh, and by the way, wot's that huge space inside your 5620? Is it somewhere to keep your sandwiches? O-Ha

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well as an end-note to my setup adventure, I can say that it's a total success.

For about £120 (or a lot less if you go for 11g, and/or go secondhand) you can link either your single PC or your wired network into your Dreambox from the other side of the house, and update remotely while letting it share your internet connection. You can also control it from your PC, and update it via FTP.

Simple setup, no fuss, no problem!

If NE1 is interested, I'll write it up for T_G to put into his FAQ.
Just let me have some fun with it for a few days first!

STICK

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BGonaSTICK said:
If NE1 is interested, I'll write it up for T_G to put into his FAQ.
Just let me have some fun with it for a few days first!

STICK
My middle name is NE1! You got 48 hours for the first draft :)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
I am a big fan of wires.

I have 4 cat 5's in each bedroom. 4 to the back of the TV and 12 (I think) to the back of the PC's.

Patch panel, 16 port switch, SMC wireless router and D-Link ADSL ethernet modem under the stairs.

I use the cat 5 for phone points in the bedroom and next to the PC.
I can patch a com port from PC to the dreambox for serial image updates.
I used to use one cat 5 to connect the season interface to a PC but dont need it now.

I was lucky enough to have the house empty for 2 weeks before we moved in. I used about a box and a half of cat 5 cable. Thats about 450m.

Yes I like wires. :D :D

I only use the wireless for surfin' the net with a laptop, at 11mbps its a bit slow for transfering files etc.
Not as bad as the bluetooth though, thats just for my mobile phone. :rolleyes:

MacAddict

Reaction score
BonceChops said:
I am a big fan of wires.

I have 4 cat 5's in each bedroom. 4 to the back of the TV and 12 (I think) to the back of the PC's.

Patch panel, 16 port switch, SMC wireless router and D-Link ADSL ethernet modem under the stairs.

I use the cat 5 for phone points in the bedroom and next to the PC.
I can patch a com port from PC to the dreambox for serial image updates.
I used to use one cat 5 to connect the season interface to a PC but dont need it now.

I was lucky enough to have the house empty for 2 weeks before we moved in. I used about a box and a half of cat 5 cable. Thats about 450m.

I only use the wireless for surfin' the net with a laptop, at 11mbps its a bit slow for transfering files etc.
Not as bad as the bluetooth though, thats just for my mobile phone. :rolleyes:

I bet you fried a few ethernet cards, having your network points next to your phone points :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BonceChops said:
Me too. Only did the wireless thing 'cos I was lazy, and 'cos I'm gonna buy my boy a laptop for chrimbo, and he'll want internet access in his room too.

Seeing as you're obviously a LANFAN, praps I could divert this thread a tad...

I need to expand my 10/100 4 port hub to an 8 port. If I use an 8 port switch instead of an 8 port hub, what effect (if any) would it have on performance/throughput?

Only reason I'm asking is that they seem to be cheaper and more readily available.

STICK