DreamBox

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From the makers of the Magic Module, see this article Tweakers.Net

This box would appear to be the Hobbyists dream.

IN Dutch.
Dream Multimedia heeft een satellietontvanger ontwikkeld die op Linux draait. Het kleine kastje, genaamd DreamBox, is niet alleen geschikt voor satellietontvangst maar kan ook gewoon op de kabel worden aangesloten. Je kan er, naast TV kijken, nog een hoop andere dingen mee doen: er zit een 100Mbit Ethernet interface, een USB aansluiting en een Compact Flash card slot in. De Dreambox draait op een 250 MHz IBM PowerPC processor en kan maximaal 256MB aan RAM bevatten. Met de geïntegreerde IDE controller kun je er zelf nog een 3,5" harddisk inzetten. Er zullen twee varianten van de DreamBox op de markt verschijnen: de DreamBox 7000 zal 499 euro gaan kosten en aan het eind van dit jaar verkrijgbaar zijn, van de low-budget versie, de DreamBox 5000, zijn nog geen nadere gegevens bekend.

If any of our Low Countries Members would be kind enough to translate, I'd be obliged, as I found it difficult to find an online translator.

The box would appear to be an open source Linux unit, with fast processor and the ability once programmed to act as an All/Freecam, plus the ability to add a standard hard disk. It has an ethernet and serial port, so should be capable of control and easy programming via computer. I would be interested to find out whether the ethernet port would facilitate network video, got to say that would be very impressive.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Heres my translation attempt:

"Dream Multimedia has one satellietontvanger well-informed who worn Linux run time. The tiny wardrobe , named DreamBox , is not solely suitable until satellietontvangst solely pitcher too wonted worn the hawser turn associate. Yours pitcher yonder , next to TV watch , yet one pile other things with take : yonder sit one 100Mbit Ether interface , one USB junction and one Compact Flash card snap within. The Dreambox run time worn one MHz IBM PowerPC processor and pitcher maximum 256MB upon RAM understand. With the integrated IDE supervision can yours yonder themselves yet one harddisk strike up. Yonder will two variant with the DreamBox on the market come out : the DreamBox 7000 will 499 European currency travel cost and the offset with this year to be had of one's , with the low - budget version , the DreamBox 5000, one's yet not one draw near data well-known."

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: LOL, that made as much sense as my ex-wife s*t*a*r*m*a*n.

But i think you can probably get the gist that this thing has bundles of potential.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
thanks for the insult rolfw :)
but the box would seem to be coming out in 2 versions. the cheaper version may not have a hard drive but i am probably wrong :p its a nice colour though. some of the forum replies mention divx player. it seems to be a cross between a pc and a satellite receiver. i think :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, I think that's right, if you imagine the benefits of one of the DVBs cards in a computer and then turn it around so that the DVB card has all of the facilities, you've got the Dreambox. If it will fulfill promises.......well who knows.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I cannot think of any great benifits actually of having my satellite receiver card in my pc. lets hope the dreambox is not as buggy as the drivers for my card are. If i could go back in time i would have just bought a humax receiver me thinks O-Ha

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I totally agree, my PentaVision and CI interface is sat in a box, totally unused..........But to have the flexibility of a freecam but with easy computer access and more, its got to be good.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Those automated translation tools are ok but you still can't beat a good old-fashioned human brain...

"Dream multimedia has developed a satellite receiver which runs on Linux. The small box, named DreamBox, is not only suitable for satellite reception but can also be connected to cable. You can do more with it than just watch TV: it has a 100Mbit Ethernet interface, a USB port, and a CompactFlash card slot. The DreamBox runs with a 250Mhz IBM PowerPC processor and can contain a maximum of 256MB RAM. With its integrated IDE controller you can even install a 3.5" harddisk. There will be two variants of the Dreambox marketed: de Dreambox 7000 will cost €499 and be available end of the year; but there are no further details known yet of the low-budget Dreambox 5000."

2old

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like something I'd like to own 2old.

This seems to be the spec that is doing the rounds, originally posted by Aussie.

- Embedded Magic Cam
- 250 MHz IBM PowerPC Processor (350 Mips)
- Linux open source (most parts under the terms of GPL, accordingly expandable)
- Supports Linux Standard API (Direct-FB, Linux-FB, LIRC, ...)
- DVB Common-Interface Slot
- 2 x Smartcard-Reader
- Integrated Compact Flash Interface Slot
- MPEG2 Hardware decoding (fully DVB compliant)
- Support for MPEG4 decoding
- Common available NIMs (DVB-S, DVB-T, DVB-C)
- 100 MBit full duplex Ethernet Interface
- USB Port Keyboard, Pointing Devices, WebCams and other devices
- V.24/RS232 Interface
- Big-size LCD-Display
- Up to 256 MByte of RAM
- integrated IDE UDMA66 Master/Slave Interface
- Support for internal HDD in any capacity
- unlimited channel lists for TV/Radio
- channel-change time < 1 second
- full automatic service scan
- supports directly 6 bouquet-lists (indirect unlimited)
- supports EPG (electronic program guide)
- supports videotext (insertion)
- various applications such Web-Browser or Mail-clients
- supports multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC)
- fully adaptable OSD in many languages (skin-support)
- SPDI/F Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3 / DTS)
- 2 x Scart-interfaces (fully controlled by software)
- MINI-DIN connector for external IR (send/receive) and I2C for
extern Rotor devices
- intern send/receive IR (Vidoerecorder)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Originally posted by rolfw
Here's a link to some . menu screenshots

I got to get one of those machines. The 5000 version, is there any information on what it will miss? I have seen many speculations, telling it won't have a harddrive, can anyone confirm this?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think that the release is only a couple of weeks away, I believe also that the cheaper model won't have a hard drive, but can be easily upgraded with one. What really appeals to me is the ethernet connection, the prospect of havine the sat receiver as part of my home network is quite exciting (well in an anorak kind of way) :)

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Found this on the DreamBox forum (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/viewtopic.php?t=177)

die 5600er ist weiter abgespeckt:
nur ein 4 stelliges numerisches Display
kein usb
kein ethernet
kein IDE
kein CF-Reader
aber auch 350Mips PPC
2 x CI, 1 X SC-Reader

This translated to english, for all people that doesn't understand german:

The specs for 5600 :

-only 4 digit number display
-no USB
-no ethernet
-no IDE
-noCompactFlash reader
-350 MIPS PPC (as the DB 7000)
-2x Common Interfaces
-1x Smart Card -reader

Here you can preorder DB7000 for 499euro:
http://www.satego.com/index.php4?cat=shop&subcat=dreambox

they also list DB5600 for 399euro

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I would guess that it would be the higher spec model for me, if there is ethernet or USB, then at least you can record onto your PCs hard drive, add that to a DVD writer and you've your own movie industry ;)

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
Well I would guess that it would be the higher spec model for me, if there is ethernet or USB, then at least you can record onto your PCs hard drive, add that to a DVD writer and you've your own movie industry ;)

I think USB on the DB is great because of the option to use a usb keyboard and then by ethernet access internet to browse on the internet. I really hope they will include a webbrowser in the DreamBox

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
See HERE Dave, not released yet as far as I know, but must be soon.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
See HERE Dave, not released yet as far as I know, but must be soon.

Well, officially it is not released but a few people around germany has recieved dreamboxes with a final firmware.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Ive read somwhere that it could(or should) be setup (altered) to
decrypt incoming signals before they reached the reciever, or at least theres a chance of doing so. If so Murdocks farged.
Even not so ? if its compatable with my infa-red network
(setup for the kids pc to pc ) it will still do the trick. As for Hd model, £200 difference Just think of the amount of blank DVDs and large Hdisk you could buy for that. Dave.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Agree with you on the hard disk Dave, if it has a viable ethernet capability, then just pop two 80gb hard disks into one of the network PCs.

Re: your other point, I've heard this idea before, but with my limited knowledge of how the whole process works, I can't see that the predecryptrion would be possible. All of the data from the different channels on a single frequency are first encrypted, they are then multiplexed and Modulated for transmission. At the other end they are demodulated, demultiplexed and finally decrypted, but I can't see a way that they could be decrypted prior to de multiplexing and certainly not prior to demodulation.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
New set of pictures, including internal and rear panel HERE

9.jpg