Dreambox?

madman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok been into satellite since 89
over this time ive owned several analogue(still using nokia 1700)
and several digital recievers

Last year i decided to upgrade my digital reciever from a Humax

I sold this and bought a Fortec however constant problems arose with this reciever which resulted in the supplier swapping it for a Manhattan 6900 which was great however a fault has occurred with it constantly going into boot mode for several hours before coming out of it even though it was updated firmware wise to the new firmware that supposed to prevent this it happened.

Now my good supplier says i could either swap it for a technomate 8000 hd ready and pay £30 extra or i could pay upto £100 and swap it for a Dreambox Dm7000s.

I liked the dreambox when it came out but several problems were being reported etc at that time and i had just bought my fortec etc, however with this opportunity presenting its self i have until tomorrow night to let him know which one.

Here where the problem is there is not that much info on the technomate and the dreambox apart from either deutsch sites or manufacturer sites(which i hate)

I am into the net and do have a wireless network around the house so this is a advantage for the dreambox etc

So im after honest opions on the both.

Also at the moment my manhattan decodes channels via the ucas etc but i do believe that the dreambox does by using software etc so does that mean i could sell my cardwriter and cards etc any help appreciated.

and was the db effected by the april 1st penta 1.10/11 problem etc

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Madman, Welcome to the forum.

Haven't used either of the boxes you mention, but certainly there is much information about with regard to the Dreambox, unfortunately it can be contradictory.

We have a couple of Dreambox drivers on the forum and they love their boxes, the idea is certainly superb, particularly if like you, the owner runs a small network. The only thing that would concern me about the Dreambox, would be the apparent lack of manufacturer support.

The Technomate is also praised as a value for money product and I must confess to having heard few negative reports.

madman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome and the reply im sure i`ll enjoy it here and make some kind of contribution etc.

Im trying my best to work out the dreambox and technomate

It`s easier for someone like me with knowledge to understand it all, but to be honest what im reading isnt making much sense not in as i dont understand but has in like you say it contradicts, ive heard loads of positive reviews about them both but at the same time i hear constant negative reviews, so i thought i`ll ask for users opions rather than rely on manufacturers etc who only want to sell you their product.

I didnt know about the dreambox not coming without any support - but it does come with a guarentee doesnt it? if not wouldnt this be breaking some european law? as ive read a few reviews about the psu failing in the dreambox etc.

The technomate says its got a super sensitive tuner but how sensitive as far as im aware there is no evidence to back this up etc.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is not a total lack of support from Dream, but they have benn known to be very slow in response to problems and bearing in mind the complex nature of the product, good support can be crucial to enjoy the full benefits of the product.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I would go for the Technomate, some say that the DB is still a work in progress. If you are techy it might be more fun, in a pull your hair out type of way. Yesterday I was offered a TM with inbuilt magic cam for 650euro but as I am just back from holls in Spain cash is a bit thight any other time and I would have taken it.

scrap

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ive had a dreambox since they first came out they were abit buggy for a while.
but now most of the software is spot on especilly sf image 13/8/03
if ya get a db you be glad you did.
scrap

cypher

Reaction score
I'm just about to buy a reciever(actualy the whole setup), i'm no expert on recievers.I like the open endedness of this unit. I install intergrated communication systems and when a new product is launched you will always have bugs, they will be worked out in time, we normally find work arounds untill then.Good support is the key to making a product a success.

My question is - Is the unit easy to configue to get me started, and i can move on when i become more experienced and new firmware becomes available?