Drinker set himself on fire while drinking 96 proof vodka



A Japanese man set himself on fire when he tried to light a cigarette while drinking 96 proof Polish vodka.

It happened as the 35-year-old sipped vodka in a bar in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, reports Mainichi Shimbun.

The vodka caught fire and the man made matters worse by dropping the glass and spilling the burning drink over himself.

He suffered burns to his arms and the accident prompted Tokyo fire officials to urge Japan's liquor association to warn drinkers of the dangers of hard liquors.

Fire department officials said under the Fire Service Law, any drink of 60 proof or over is designated as a dangerous material.

"When you are under the influence of alcohol your ability to make decisions quickly is hampered, so we expect this kind of incident to happen again," a spokesman said.