DSTV - Pansat 68.5E

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
In Egypt - I'm picking up (and actually subscribing) to DSTV on 68.5 PAS 10

Simple question - can you pick up DSTV in UK - what sort of dish size are we talking? Presumably it would be easier to receive on Eutelsat 36E?

Ta

Richard

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Neither are easy here

The Ku band from 36 should be ignored for UK reception, you will be looking at a 6m antenna with 80% efficiency

The C band stuff on 68 East can be seen here with a 4.8m antenna (just) but since the satellite is really low down, the further West you are, the greater the chance of poor reception as there is more atmosphere to go through

Weigh up the cost of
a) about £6000 of equipment, and a professional installer,
:cool: Having somebody in the Middle East courier over video tapes on a daily/weekly basis, or
c) sticking around in Egypt

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Thought as much - the dish I'm using here to pick up PAS10 is big enough for the kids to swim in.

Thanks

Richard

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Funny you should mention swimming as one supplier in Spain a few years back made more money by sinking 3m solid dishes into peoples gardens for use as paddling pools.

richardkonig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
sky +
freeview
Foxtel (Aus)
ATI All-in-Wonder
Osprey
My Location
London
Channel Hopper said:
Neither are easy here

The Ku band from 36 should be ignored for UK reception, you will be looking at a 6m antenna with 80% efficiency

The C band stuff on 68 East can be seen here with a 4.8m antenna (just) but since the satellite is really low down, the further West you are, the greater the chance of poor reception as there is more atmosphere to go through

Weigh up the cost of
a) about £6000 of equipment, and a professional installer,
:cool: Having somebody in the Middle East courier over video tapes on a daily/weekly basis, or
c) sticking around in Egypt

Hi
I was recently asked to do some work for the streaming service of south african broadcaster M-net (www.kuduclub.com) which will require that I set up reception of DSTV somewhere accesable in Europe. The best location for me would be the UK (London) where I am based, but from this thread it seems that that may not be a very stable reception. I need a combination of good, cheap broadband and a good stable reception - providing space for a big dish should not be a problem. Is the answer just "No, it can't be done here"?. How much stronger would the signal be in France, Germany or Austria?
Thanks
Richard

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The issue is still one of elevation. London is more or less on the extreme of the footprint of this satellite. It can be received, but any location in main Europe is going to be better.

boot_sectorz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky X2, Beausat 2004 FTA Plus, Echostar LT-730, twinhan Vision Plus DVB Card. 90cm Nokia Dish, 1.8m Also Manhattan 9650 Analogue
My Location
Earth......... I hope!
Channel Hopper said:
The issue is still one of elevation. London is more or less on the extreme of the footprint of this satellite. It can be received, but any location in main Europe is going to be better.

I have been looking at an idea of getting some european SATs. Now if U can get Pas7/10 in UK. Does it mean I can also get some European SATs in Zambia. Say in the likes of Hot Bird or Astra? If it can be done, what do I need. How big should the dish be for example.
Thanx

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
boot_sectorz said:
I have been looking at an idea of getting some european SATs. Now if U can get Pas7/10 in UK. Does it mean I can also get some European SATs in Zambia. Say in the likes of Hot Bird or Astra? If it can be done, what do I need. How big should the dish be for example.
Thanx

No. Few of the European satellites have coverage areas that get very far into Africa on the European beams. There is some coverage into the countries on the north African coast but thats about it.

There is one possibility - Astra 2B has a Nigerian spot beam, though Ive never seen any reports of it being activated.

In Zambia, Id say forget it, and stick to the African beams, although
a guy used to get analogue Astra in Brazil with a 21m dish, so think of that sort of size for any reception!

boot_sectorz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky X2, Beausat 2004 FTA Plus, Echostar LT-730, twinhan Vision Plus DVB Card. 90cm Nokia Dish, 1.8m Also Manhattan 9650 Analogue
My Location
Earth......... I hope!
Actually, I hear in Johannisburg they got Astra 1 analogue channels using a 7m dish, check this thread: h**p://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=48429. Since JHB is way pass me, I think it could be got. Only problem is, if they used a 7m dish, what size can I use? I think the geography has advantaged me. Actually this could make it possible for more to see if actually theres a way to get some of these impossible to get signals.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
He might just be exceptionally lucky and get a strongish side lobe there....

(Look how the Astra 2D beams vary in strength across a few miles in Spain or Italy.)