Dual box system?

joshjess

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a digibox pointed at 28.5 to receive SKY programming, I would like to know if there is a manufacturer that can supply a receiver for both SKY and European channels such on Hot Bird and that has a PVR built-in? Can anyone help.

If not what is the best way to receive both without costing too much! or could I buy a European PVR receiver, and loop the SKY digibox through the PVR so I can record SKY programmes.

Thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, but unfortunately the two are not compatible, if you wish to use a PVR for Sky, you will need the dedicated Sky+ box, but this will not functiuon properly on non-Sky satellites. Not sure how many PVRs will accept an external input, but I think that I may move this to the PVR forum and see what comes up. :)

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Its not possible to have a PVR receiver record program's from a Sky box, not on the one currently available.

You can record BBC and other FTA stuff from Sky on a PVR though.

What I have done is use the loop through on a PVR satellite box to connect my Sky box, my dish is motorized. Bear in mind that the Sky box cannot control the motor though, this is done by the PVR box. I sometimes get a 'No satellite signal' error on the Sky box but switching it off and then back on fixes this.

For recording none FTA stuff on Sky I use a VCR and the Sky EPG. The VCR switches on and off automtically so there is no need to program it with the start and end times. You could also do the same with a set top DVD recorder or a set top hard disk recorder although that would be an expensive option.