Dual LNB problem - HELP!!!

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm fixed dish, dual LNB's, Echostar 616
My Location
Essex, UK
I am totally new to digital satellite so please forgive my ignorance. I am UK based and have recently obtained an Echostar DSB 616 (made specially for the Polish market) and a subscription to Cyfrowy Polsat (Hotbird 13E) so that I can receive Polish channels for my wife. To get more use from the system, I have a second LNB tuned into Astra on 28.2E, both LNB's running through a DiseqC 2.0, 2x1 switch. I have tuned in all the Hotbird channels, including the ones we have paid for, but no matter what I do, I cannot receive any signal from Astra on the receiver although it is receiving a strong signal at the LNB. At first I thought maybe there was a problem because the DSB 616 is made for Poland, but I am assured that the set up I have is quite common both here in the UK and in Poland. I have tried every possible permutation on the Receiver set up menu including swapping ports, but that just results in losing Hotbird as well. The only thing left to try is the DiseqC switch but before I get the ladders out AGAIN!!, in the freezing cold, I just wondered if switching faults are common with DiseqC switches and does this problem sound as though that is what it is? Or does anybody have any other possible causes?. HELP PLEASE, this is driving me mad!!
Thanks.'O'-red :-comp

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
Hi, no need to apologise for your ignorance of sat stuff, I have just recently returned to the scene and have forgot everything I knew in the past....
you mention diseqc 1.4, do you mean you have a 1 into 4 switch or you are using diseqc 1.4 signal?.... I'm sure the diseqc switchs use diseqc 1.0 or 1.1!.
Is the dish setup new?, you could be looking a the wrong thing, your getting signal, though not picture, wrong sat?
best thing to do while up the ladder is to just pop a f-conn joiner in place of the diseqc switch, so it act as 1 direct lnb source (try both).
Hopefully someone will post more solutions.

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
stealthpirate said:
Hi, no need to apologise for your ignorance of sat stuff, I have just recently returned to the scene and have forgot everything I knew in the past....
you mention diseqc 1.4, do you mean you have a 1 into 4 switch or you are using diseqc 1.4 signal?.... I'm sure the diseqc switchs use diseqc 1.0 or 1.1!.
Is the dish setup new?, you could be looking a the wrong thing, your getting signal, though not picture, wrong sat?
best thing to do while up the ladder is to just pop a f-conn joiner in place of the diseqc switch, so it act as 1 direct lnb source (try both).
Hopefully someone will post more solutions.

Oops, I have just looked at the box and it is a DiSEqC 2.0, 2x1 :-doh! . What threw me is that on the receiver setup menu, the only option given is DiSEqC 1.4 but I have been assured that I have the correct switch. The set up is all new apart from the dish which is the same one I used for my old analogue receiver. I am certain that the second LNB is pointing at Astra. I really hate going up ladders, especially at this time of the year so I am not keen on going down that route unless I know for sure that the switch is playing up.:rolleyes:

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
The Diseqc2 switch is backwards compatible with your receiver's Diseqc commands, just use Diseqc 1.0 to switch between LNB's. Don't know your receiver's menu, should be in there somewhere.

Are you sure you mean Astra 28.2E? That's a long way from Hotbird, especially on a 60cm dish. 19E about the limit for receiving two birds.

Llew

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
Llew said:
The Diseqc2 switch is backwards compatible with your receiver's Diseqc commands, just use Diseqc 1.0 to switch between LNB's. Don't know your receiver's menu, should be in there somewhere.

Are you sure you mean Astra 28.2E? That's a long way from Hotbird, especially on a 60cm dish. 19E about the limit for receiving two birds.

Llew

Thanks for that, I will have a look. It's an 80cm dish by the way, not 60cm.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Sorry, specs need cleaning. Shold be possible then with right bracket.

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
I have been playing about with frequencies and have got a signal on Astra now. However the problem is I cannot get it to receive in the part of the band I want (the BBC1, 2, 3, 4, ITV 1, 2, 3, channels etc) every time I change the frequency to the part of the band I want it to search, I lose the signal. All I have been able to download are a load of scrambled Italian Sky channels, Belgacom and other scrambled foreign channels. Anyone got any ideas whats going on now please?.

Neil Paxton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
I have recently installed a dual LNB set up and have been having a lot of trouble receiving Astra 2 on 28.2E. The other LNB is on Hotbird and all is OK there and has been from day 1. After a LOT of messing about, I have now got a signal on Astra. However the problem is I cannot get it to receive in the part of the band I want (the BBC1, 2, 3, 4, ITV 1, 2, 3, channels etc) every time I change the frequency to the part of the band I want it to search, I lose the signal. All I have been able to download so far are a load of scrambled Italian Sky channels, Belgacom and other scrambled foreign channels. Anyone got any ideas whats going on please?.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You say you are getting a signal, how do you know it is Astra 2, have you watched any of the channels, or are you just relying on the signal strength reading? You could easily be looking at Astra1 if that is the case.