Dual LNB question

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi

Having managed to source a second digibox on E-bay I thought I would change my LNB to a dual output this weekend.

While doing the upgrade I knocked my dish so had to reinstall it - not a tricky job as I have one of those cheap sat finders. I then went and checked both of the feeds on the two TV's and they were fine. However, I then took out the sat finder and instantly the quality reading for the new digibox dropped below a level acceptable for BBC reception. I put the sat meter back in the loop and it works again.

I do not really understand what in the meter is likely to be improving the quality enough. Can anyone give me an explanation and preferably explain what I can do to ensure the quality reading without having to permanently leave my sat finder in the loop?

My set-up is a basic cheap LNB (I have an invacom TWH-031 onm order - this is just one a friend had lying around) an 88 cm dish and the digibox which has this problem is a grundig GDS 310 (there is also a TiVo and philips videosender in the chain!)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Possibly too much signal from the dish, the meter is then attennuating it to an acceptable level.

Could be that your connector to the LNB is not good, does the meter improve the quality when inserted at the receiver end?

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Rolf - thanks

RE the connection - this was also my 1st thought so I have already checked it extensively. I am pretty sure that it now has a really good fit so I expect that is not the answer.

RE the signal strength. This is a possibility. At present the signal strength on the digibox shows 100% with Signal quality at 60% with the satfinder in the loop and 40% with it out of the loop. There is also a signal booster on the same cable.

The current working setup is

LNB -> satfinder -> signal booster -> receiver

1/. Would the satfinder reduce the signal strength even though it is in front of the booster in the chain?
2/. Is it likely that taking the booster out of the chain (and, of course, the sat finder!) help?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You shouldn't need the booster Mesaka, they are only used to counter very long cable runs, it is almost certainly the cause of your problem.

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It was the booster! I took it out of the loop and its working perfectly. Thanks for your help.