bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
darkbox rev2007 Reciever + old pace sky box
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Help please I am probably missing something obvious here but I am new to multiple sats . basically I am trying to set up for astra 1 and others ,not to bothered which for the moment . but I have one sky lnb mounted of centre of my ,"I think 60 cm dish" this is locked on astra 1 ok with about 70% on strength and quality ,I am monitoring the lnb with my old pace receiver.however no matter where along the front of the dish I mount the second " universal lnb" all I can find is a second astra1 , eventually I intend connecting up via 2 way disqe unit to my new" to me" Samsung dsr 9500 receiver, then using the loop through coax link to connect my old pace box for channel 4 and 5 via second scart lead .

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi mate, your post is a touch confusing. Are you sure you are not getting your Astras mixed up.

As I read it, you have you have your dish focussed on 19.2E and you want to add a second LNB on to pick up 28.2E, is this correct?

For the 2nd LNB to pick up 28.2E looking at the dish face, it has to be positioned to the left of the focus and a little higher that the focal one. The 2nd LNB should also be pointing at the same place as the main one, i.e towards the centre.

Note, it is not possible to pick up the same satellite with two LNBs on the same dish, it is physically impossible, it must be a different satellite that you are picking up. (edit, this is utter tosh, please see below:) )

Also put 28E on the 1st port of the Diseqc as Sky boxes do not have Diseqc capability. The Sky box is only needed for ch5, ch4 is FTA and be got on any digital sat receiver.

Robbo:)

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Robbo, you'd be surprised that it is indeed possible to pick the same satellite with 2 LNBs on the same dish; try with 19e.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well yes you can, but not if you are pointing at the centre of the dish.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
bigtee said:
Robbo, you'd be surprised that it is indeed possible to pick the same satellite with 2 LNBs on the same dish; try with 19e.

:-lol

Thanks for that bigtee.:-rofl2

I stand corrected, I will give it a try sometime.

That is what I love about this hobby, you learn new things all the time.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
I actually stumbled on it during a (so far futile and perhaps impossible) attempt to add 26e to the Raven multi set-up. The conclusion I'm coming to is that perhaps while 26e is possible on its own on a 90 dish, it is not possible in a multi set-up.

PS sorry for the digression (off topic)!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, you need all you can get for the weaker transponders on 26E. But it would be possible if the 26E LNB were at the focus. So in theory also possible to have 28.2E on there also, but not pointing at the dish centre?

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kent, UK
Funny, I do have 28e now - 'temporarily' until I get 26e as it is set up i.e. with 13e at focus.

I did think about using 26e as centre/focus but I'm worried about all the sats that I currently have West of it (esp 7e, 13e, 16e & 19e).

(Thread well and truly hijacked now!)

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
the pace box seems to see every point on the dish as the same sat id
now I have connected the rig to my samsung dsr 9500 "see my original post re is it any good" and downloaded channel list ,I now seem to have astra 2 ? if this is the case, the problem is obviously the pace box not seeing other sats properly ? would it be better to use a monobloc for hot bird and astra one and then use the universal lnb for another sat
sorry about the can of worms that I seem to have opened
thanks all

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could certainly use a monobloc for Astra and Hotbird, then another for Astra 28.2 for your Pace Sky digibox. It really depends on what you want to achieve.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you have not already got a monoblock, don't get one, it only complicates matters, as it contains a Diseqc switch already. Besides two separate LNBs have more adjustment flexibility, imprortant since your dish is only 60cm.

We like opening cans of worms:-rofl2

:)

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Is my assumption correct in that the pace box see's all sats the same id, if so then how do i know which sat id I am looking at , do newer sky digi boxes see the correct sat id ?
thanks all

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I don't know about your model of Sky digibox, but mine has different numbers coming up depending if it is Astra 19E or 28E, I never connected to a dish pointed anywhere else.

What most of us do, without a professional meter is to do a scan of one of the transponders using an ordinary sat receiver and see what channels appear. Then cross reference with what is listed on lyngsat or kingofsat.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok ta ,initially I was trying to get 3 lnb's mounted, but thinking longer term as I am not happy with my 2 ex sky lnb's "supposedly universal " I may go down the mono bloc route the mono bloc lnb would then at least be a known quantity ! what then is the best way to incorperate the monoblock / diseqc into my mounted working genuine uiversal lnb with 2 way diseqc to get astra 1, hotbird and one other sat.luckily the dish is easilly got at from flat roof
also could somebody give me a pointer on how to get channel 5 via my samsung box

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you are really that hell bent on using a monoblock, you need a 4-way Diseqc. You might as well get a TWINmonoblock and connect both outputs to the 1st two ports on the switch, and then use one of the other switch ports for the 3rd LNB.

You can also use a single monoblock and solder a wire between the 1st 2 ports. There are other posts on the forum detailing this.

Only a receiver that is NDS capable can be used to watch channel 5, together with a Sky FTV card.

until that is, it goes FTA. On the FReesat website it just says soon or similar.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
How do I find if my receiver is NDS capable , my Samsung has 2 card slots and I do have a sky ftv card .Samsung support is non existant for my model of receiver .if I only want to watch one sat a once ,can I not get by with a single monoblock and my 2 way diseqc ?
also
you given me a clue as to my original prob re only finding one sat ,possibly a problem caused by the fact that my outer lnb's were not pointing into centre of dish?

thanks for your input

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
bwizz said:
How do I find if my receiver is NDS capable , my Samsung has 2 card slots and I do have a sky ftv card .Samsung support is non existant for my model of receiver .if I only want to watch one sat a once ,can I not get by with a single monoblock and my 2 way diseqc ?
also
you given me a clue as to my original prob re only finding one sat ,possibly a problem caused by the fact that my outer lnb's were not pointing into centre of dish?

thanks for your input

If you want three sats going to one receiver using a monoblock, one of the methods I previously mentioned has to be used. However if you want the monoblock for one receiver and the 28E for another, then it is obviously straight forward and you dont need a Diseqc switch.

I don't know your box, but it is not one of those that I recognise as bieng able to read a Sky card, stick one in it, it will soon tell you.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Ok thanks your info has given me some idea were i'm at .my box does not seem to read the sky card, not sure I should commit myself to this Samsung box as its on trial at moment ,I can't find any recent info about its potential , also has fiddly menu's .I may get a more modern type before I proceed,any recommendations
Brian

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It depends how much you want to spend.

The TM3000 series are capable of reading a Sky card, I don't what they are like otherwise though.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Samsung? overall up to date spec what should I go for any model ?
Ta