dual output monoblock 2 stb's and now i want freesat

netjunkie

Reaction score
Hi there good people.
i can see similar questions to this but here goes. It would be great to get your advice as to which direction i should go in:

I currently have an 80cm dish with a dual output monoblock for astra and hotbird. I have 2 stbs (relook 200s and technomate 1000d).

I now want freesat. I will want to record in the future but will need to save up for a humax. I don't really like the thought of the other stb's that require external usb/esata drives.

I can't find a universal clamp and mount to hold the extra lnb needed for freesat so am looking to by an iss 80cm dish and lnb multi mount bracket from wizard. this can fit my existing monoblock and the new lnb needed for freesat.

Now i'm confused. do i drop my monoblock and get 3 new dual output lnbs and 2x 4.1 diseqc switches? or keep the monoblock along with the extra lnb and somehow feed them into diseqc switches?

The thing is I don't know how diseqc switches work when you have dual or quad out put lnbs and or monoblocks. i have only ever used a 2.1 diseqc switch when i had to single output lnbs in my old setup.

Please help and please do ask me questions for clarification as i don't really know what i'm talking about but hopefully you can see what i think i want to acheive.

Many thanks and merry crimbo!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Option: LNb multi-bracket with 2 x twin LNBs for 19e and 13e and a twin for 28e.

2 x 2 way DiSEqC switches for your two receivers (13e & 19e) and run two new feeds from the LNb @ 28e for humax freesat.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, I would advise that you get three new twin LNBs as you may have problems getting the monoblock to work with a Diseqc switch. Or two twins and a quad, you could use the two spare o/ps of the quad for a Humax HDR.

Triax do a multiblock for Triax dishes that would do the job you want no problem if you were going to get a new dish.

netjunkie

Reaction score
thanks - wow that was quick!

i will keep the 2 stb's that only have 1 sat feed input each. so how do i get 3 lnbs to the 2 stb's? 2x 4.1 diseqc switches?

then what happens when i get my humax recorder?
i will want to keep the other 2 stb's in the hope that things stop being so dark in the future ;-)
so do i feed 2 cables to the humax from the quad 28.2 lnb and then 1 feed each via the diseqc switches to my current stbs?
thanks again guys,
netjunkie

ps why triax and not iss?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
ok, if you want the two current receivers to view 28e as well then 4 way swiches req. You could fit a quad for 28e, send two runs down to the humax and other two feeds to the switches.

Two main receivers will have reception of 13e, 19e and 28e. The humax will just see 28e.

netjunkie

Reaction score
thanks so much again for all your help and making think aloud (not pleasant i know ;-)) I think this will be the way i go. thank you.

Just to finish off is it possible to make my dual output monoblock go through a diseqc switch? then i could be a real cheapo and just get a switch and make a little arm for the an extra lnb?

is this possible. again thank you so much for your help.
Merry christmas,
netjunkie :)

jphili

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twin monoblock and twin LNB on 80cm transparant dish rigged for twin reception from HB Astra 1 and 2 + TopField TF 7700 HDPVR + TwinHan VisionDTV
My Location
BE
netjunkie said:
Just to finish off is it possible to make my dual output monoblock go through a diseqc switch? then i could be a real cheapo and just get a switch and make a little arm for the an extra lnb?

is this possible. again thank you so much for your help.
Merry christmas,
netjunkie :)

It is possible, but each output of the monoblock needs to go through two inputs of the diseqc switch (A+B inputs). So you'll need a little bit more gear to split a single output and be able to connect it to the two inputs. There are T-pieces available that allow you to do this and that's what's running on my system without any issues for the moment.

Bbigfoot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400irc
80cm Dish
Invacom 0.3 LNB
ToH 3.3 5.7.

P4 Xp home
3.2 pro.
My Location
Tyne Wear
Hi netjunkie,

The best Idea if you have a (Diablo 2.3) Cam, and a (Cas 3 ) Programmer
is to move your 80cm Dish to (1w..Intelsat and 0.8w) and (5e Siruis).
Your Monoblock will pickup both 1w and 5e, 6% apart just as 19e and 13e.

On 1w and 0.8w you will open over 400 channels (At this time) with the
diablo Cam, more than 50 Film channels, and
50 Sports Channels (90% English Comm).

Setup a new dish, look for an old S*y zone 1 dish (35cm) loads
at any Sat Installers Shops.
Use the 2 STBs, 1 for Thor 0.8w and 5e, and the other for 28e.
The thing with Freesat is, you will have all the channel in both
you STBoxes. I just bought a (Passion +) at Maplins (£159), and it
was pree loaded with Freesat, 155 channel in All, channels like QVC,
JML, Reality Channels, but mostly Shoping Channels.
The Plus (+) in the Passion + is so you can plug in an External HDD, thats
what I did (£39) at Maplins. That enables you to record to Hard Drive
through the Passion +, then plug HDD into PC and burn to DVD Disk, or
just view your recording using the Passion +s remote, Another Thing
with the Passion + being a HD Box, you can record any of the 10 HD Channels
open on Thor in High Def, and burn to Disk in DVD in HD.

BF...

netjunkie

Reaction score
Bbigfoot said:
Hi netjunkie,

The best Idea if you have a (Diablo 2.3) Cam, and a (Cas 3 ) Programmer
is to move your 80cm Dish to (1w..Intelsat and 0.8w) and (5e Siruis).
Your Monoblock will pickup both 1w and 5e, 6% apart just as 19e and 13e.

On 1w and 0.8w you will open over 400 channels (At this time) with the
diablo Cam, more than 50 Film channels, and
50 Sports Channels (90% English Comm).

Setup a new dish, look for an old S*y zone 1 dish (35cm) loads
at any Sat Installers Shops.
Use the 2 STBs, 1 for Thor 0.8w and 5e, and the other for 28e.
The thing with Freesat is, you will have all the channel in both
you STBoxes. I just bought a (Passion +) at Maplins (£159), and it
was pree loaded with Freesat, 155 channel in All, channels like QVC,
JML, Reality Channels, but mostly Shoping Channels.
The Plus (+) in the Passion + is so you can plug in an External HDD, thats
what I did (£39) at Maplins. That enables you to record to Hard Drive
through the Passion +, then plug HDD into PC and burn to DVD Disk, or
just view your recording using the Passion +s remote, Another Thing
with the Passion + being a HD Box, you can record any of the 10 HD Channels
open on Thor in High Def, and burn to Disk in DVD in HD.

BF...

Thank you all. I don't think i can move my dish as there are building in the way (the dish is mounted on the garden wall - not on the roof) but perhaps i'll check. my wife also likes the Spanish channels tele madrid, tve etc don't know if they are on 1w?

how do you find those boxes that use external hard-drives to record? any skipping etc? good quality? my tv cabinet can't fit much more in it ;-).

thanks again for the mono block and diseqc info. if i do switch to 1w i will need to fit another dish but really don't want to. just don't have the space outside and don't want to put the dish where are i can't get to it.

Thanks so much again to all as you have definately given me the info i need to make the right choises.
Hope you had a good christmas.
happy new year,
netjunkie