Duff LNB?

tk358

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SL65 80cm single LDM
My Location
Surrey, UK
Greetings, Gents.

Another newbie! I spent most of yesterday trying to set up a SL65 with an 80cm dish. The SL65 works well as I was able to test it on a Sky dish that was already set up.

Took me a while to work out that I had to find out the offsets for the dish to get a particular satellite from my Long and Lat position. But I wasn't able to pick up anything at all anywhere.

I tested the coax (proper foil shielded) to make sure that there was no earthing. I connected the sattelite beeper - got nothing.

Signal Intensity never got about 40% and Signal Qulaity didn't get above 14% on any satellite setting, even when slowly adjusting the dish to find any satellite.

So any ideas? Is there a way to test an LNB? Or am I mising something?

Cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Providing the LNB and connections are good, then you are probably pointing in the wrong direction, or too high. For most of the popular satellites, the dish face is not too far off the vertical.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Also if you have tested the box previously on 28.2 East and it worked, that means that your channel is set to an SR and FEC probably 22000 and FEC 5/6 or 27500 2/3 both of which are not very common on other satellites.
I suspect it is most likely you are not pointing in the correct direction and that is all, 28.2 degrees East of South may not be where you think it is.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
It's not the LNB, it's definately a dish alignment problem as I had the same problems when I first got a portable kit from Lidl, I thought there was something up with the LNB too, but it's just a case of fiddling until you find something. Personally I found using an analogue box on the satellites still carrying analogue channels made things easier as you can literally wave the dish about until you get a picture on the screen!!! :)

tk358

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SL65 80cm single LDM
My Location
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the input guys. I will continue to fiddle tomorrow :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
tk358 said:
Thanks for the input guys. I will continue to fiddle tomorrow :)

Once you get to know it you'll find you can literally stick a dish up with only a little adjustment needed, I often amaze myself when I stick up my little portable dish and it's almost bang on what I wanted to watch, althought I never have managed to get Hotburd yet... :D

Just keep trying and you'll become a natural at pointing dishes... :D