Dutch Canal Digitaal - need help!

tvsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Digital 1200 M CI with fixed dish
My Location
uk
Hi Everybody,

I'm new here and need a little help - I'm trying to find a way to view the Dutch Canal Digitaal package to help with my learning the Dutch language. I have a digital receiver with a S*ca cam but that is about as far as I have got, I see various posts here about this but they tend to go over my head a bit as I'm new to all this. Is there somebody who could spare a few minutes to explain what I need in the way of a cards etc and how I go about this, either here or by email? - thanks in advance.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
tvsatman said:
Hi Everybody,

I'm new here and need a little help - I'm trying to find a way to view the Dutch Canal Digitaal package to help with my learning the Dutch language. I have a digital receiver with a S*ca cam but that is about as far as I have got, I see various posts here about this but they tend to go over my head a bit as I'm new to all this. Is there somebody who could spare a few minutes to explain what I need in the way of a cards etc and how I go about this, either here or by email? - thanks in advance.

You can buy the official ftv cards in Holland from a dealer,usually cost about 85 euros,maybe a bit less,but you need an address in Holland.
There is one channel that is fta,its called BVN,whitch is a mix of Dutch and Belguim programmes.

tvsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
dave branson said:
You can buy the official ftv cards in Holland from a dealer,usually cost about 85 euros,maybe a bit less,but you need an address in Holland.
There is one channel that is fta,its called BVN,whitch is a mix of Dutch and Belguim programmes.

Thanks Dave, but unfortunately I don't have a contact in Holland for an address and the cost of getting a card via a UK dealer is more than I can afford, that is why I was looking for some other means . . .

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
tvsatman said:
Thanks Dave, but unfortunately I don't have a contact in Holland for an address and the cost of getting a card via a UK dealer is more than I can afford, that is why I was looking for some other means . . .

Try this website, www.sat4all.com its in Dutch but you can post in English,
as 99% of the Dutch speak English,I am sure there will be someone who will help you with supplying a card.

tvsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
. . . thanks again but what about all the posts in these forums I see discussing programming various types of cards to receive Canal Digitaal, is that no longer possible?

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
tvsatman said:
. . . thanks again but what about all the posts in these forums I see discussing programming various types of cards to receive Canal Digitaal, is that no longer possible?

If you look under "Te Koop Gavraaged"somebody is asking for an English FTV
card for channel4/5,as they cost 20 pounds in the UK perhaps you could do a swap.
The FTV channels ie ned1/2/3 sbs,rtl4/5 are encrypted differently fro CANAL+
subscription channels,i have been using an ASTON cam with a FTV card here in Italy for 4 years without any problem,you just have to renew the card each year.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
tvsatman said:
Canal Digitaal is available in 2 flavors : Irdeto2 and Seca2. Hence there are 2 types of official cards. Note the word "official". You need an official CD card, either Irdeto2 or seca2, depending on your receiver (seca2 in your case).
these codes have not been hacked yet, so there's no other way to receive them for the moment.
You should be able to receive ned1, 2 & 3, as these are FTA for the moment, but this will not last forever. RTL4 is still encoded in irdeto1, so this might also be a possibility. And then there is 'clear tv' and 'l1mburg', 2 other dutch language channels, which are both FTA, like BVN.

tvsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
JTA said:
Canal Digitaal is available in 2 flavors : Irdeto2 and S*ca2. Hence there are 2 types of official cards. Note the word "official". You need an official CD card, either Irdeto2 or S*ca2, depending on your receiver (S*ca2 in your case).
these codes have not been hacked yet, so there's no other way to receive them for the moment.
You should be able to receive ned1, 2 & 3, as these are FTA for the moment, but this will not last forever. RTL4 is still encoded in irdeto1, so this might also be a possibility. And then there is 'clear tv' and 'l1mburg', 2 other dutch language channels, which are both FTA, like BVN.

Thanks JTA for the info, it's much appreciated. Strangely enough this morning I did notice that Ned 1, 2 & 3 were in the clear, I was hoping this was going to be permanent. I would like to be able to view RTL 4/5 and SBS and Net 5 also but I guess I will have to go the legitimate route somehow. As far as I can see assuming I can a get a Dutch address to register it to I then need to buy a card that costs around 85 Euros, then subscribe to the basic package. I will look into this further now I know there is no "hack" option.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
CD stopped using Irdeto2 as of 31st of May as far as I know. Ned 1-3 will not remain FTA for long is suspect. You do not need to subscribe to any packege to get Ned1-3, rts4&5, sbs6 etc. You do need to register your card though. Interestingly you can (re)activate cards on CD's website these days.

tvsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
cjgall said:
CD stopped using Irdeto2 as of 31st of May as far as I know. Ned 1-3 will not remain FTA for long is suspect. You do not need to subscribe to any packege to get Ned1-3, rts4&5, sbs6 etc. You do need to register your card though. Interestingly you can (re)activate cards on CD's website these days.

Thanks for the above info - it look as though I may have found a contact in Holland who is willing to help me get a card, although it seems he is not very clued up on this sort of thing so I need to give precise instructions as to what I require. I have looked at the Canal Digitaal website and there is something called a "SET TOP BOX-pakket" which seems to be the most basic package, I'm a little confused because you say I don't need this to recieve the basic channels, I only need a card and to have it registered?.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
if you want the dutch channels then your gonna need a dutch adress or know someone that has one. the set top packet is the basic dutch channels ned1,2,3,rtl4,5,sbs6,yorin,tmf,net5 the cost is 29.95 euros per year.when you apply via canal digitaal you get the first month ALL the channels free.(c+rood,blauw,geel,spice platinum,tcm,nickelodeon etc) there is also the cost of the card + a one time administration cost to canal digitaal.

TWAG

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
tvsatman said:
Thanks for the above info - it look as though I may have found a contact in Holland who is willing to help me get a card, although it seems he is not very clued up on this sort of thing so I need to give precise instructions as to what I require. I have looked at the Canal Digitaal website and there is something called a "SET TOP BOX-pakket" which seems to be the most basic package, I'm a little confused because you say I don't need this to recieve the basic channels, I only need a card and to have it registered?.

It is confusing because CanalDigitaal kind of imply that you need this package but you don't.

Option 1 (no settop box package)
- Purchase card (70-80 Euro's)
- Fill in for but do not cross any package
- Activate smart card (can be done online, menu: Service/Activatie
- Smartcard/Activatie Nieuwe Smartcard). The form must be returned within
a set number of days after intial activation (7, 14 or something like that).
- Each year you must reactivate the smart card.

Option 2 (With settop box package 29,95 per year)
- Same as above but yearly reactivation is automatic.
- The settop box package give insurance agains loss, theft or damage***.

You also need to pay a administration/registration charge for each option, I am not sure how much it is these days though.

In a nutshell, you contact should buy the card, fill in the form using his/her personal details and card number and then send it off. He/she should also send the card to you at the same time. When you receive the card go online and activate it as described above. If for some reason you miss the monthly update you can always rectivate the card online.

A few things I should mention. Canal Digitaal have just changed there OTA key update procedure. Some CAM's may not work without an update. The Aston 1.07 however does work with the latest software, earlier version (1.03 & 1.05) are not upgradable and may no longer work. Others I am not sure about. CanalDigitaal now offer a Mediaguard CAM for about 65 Euries which is guaranteed to work. Be aware though that the mediaguard CAM is region locked and will only work with the Dutch CanalDigitaal channels and doesn not add media highway EPG functions.

*** See: http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?p=227277#post227277

tvsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
cjgall said:
It is confusing because CanalDigitaal kind of imply that you need this package but you don't.

Option 1 (no settop box package)
- Purchase card (70-80 Euro's)
- Fill in for but do not cross any package
- Activate smart card (can be done online, menu: Service/Activatie
- Smartcard/Activatie Nieuwe Smartcard). The form must be returned within
a set number of days after intial activation (7, 14 or something like that).
- Each year you must reactivate the smart card.

Option 2 (With settop box package 29,95 per year)
- Same as above but yearly reactivation is automatic.
- The settop box package give insurance agains loss, theft or damage***.

You also need to pay a administration/registration charge for each option, I am not sure how much it is these days though.

In a nutshell, you contact should buy the card, fill in the form using his/her personal details and card number and then send it off. He/she should also send the card to you at the same time. When you receive the card go online and activate it as described above. If for some reason you miss the monthly update you can always rectivate the card online.

A few things I should mention. Canal Digitaal have just changed there OTA key update procedure. Some CAM's may not work without an update. The Aston 1.07 however does work with the latest software, earlier version (1.03 & 1.05) are not upgradable and may no longer work. Others I am not sure about. CanalDigitaal now offer a Mediaguard CAM for about 65 Euries which is guaranteed to work. Be aware though that the mediaguard CAM is region locked and will only work with the Dutch CanalDigitaal channels and doesn not add media highway EPG functions.

*** See: http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?p=227277#post227277

cjgall - many thanks for all the help and info.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
tvsatman said:

Nope - they disappeared behind secure scrambling a few weeks ago.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
cjgall said:
I suppose you mean Irdeto1. Irdeto2 is alive & kicking.
Yes, if you have a valid seca2/irdeto2 card which has missed an update, then you can reactivate this card using their website.
there is much discussion about what is required and what not. CD is not very clear on this point. They say you need a set-top package for 30 euro/year. Others say you just need to register your card. It seems unclear however if your card will be updated for more than a year if you do not take the set-top package.
My advice would be : take any card you can get, and pay the price. This way you will be certain that you get all the necessary updates.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
JTA said:
I suppose you mean Irdeto1. Irdeto2 is alive & kicking.

Yes, my mistake, I did mean Irdeto1.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
the deal is 30 euros a year with the set top package,renewable(ongoing) every year unless you request to cancel it.so as long as you make sure the person who you got the card from gets paid,then i dont see there being any problem with you watching the clog channels.

TWAG

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
May I add some comment?
It's true you don't have to pay the 29.95 euros per year to watch the basic package, but if you lose your card or if it's damaged, you have to buy an new one. When you do pay, then you will get a new one for free. So be carefull for not paying, there's a risk.
Another disturbing news here is that Canal Digitaal will be taken over by UPC, a company well known here in Holland by it's lack of service! That's why I advise you to pay. But of course, that's your own choice.

You say you want to learn the Dutch language. Is that because you have a Dutch girlfriend perhaps? I presume you have somehow bindings with the Netherlands; is there no-one who can provide you with a card or an adress?

Jakenl

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
JTA said:
You should be able to receive ned1, 2 & 3, as these are FTA for the moment,
are you sure, have they ever been FTA?

-cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
closetosoton said:
are you sure, have they ever been FTA?

-cts

Yes they were fta for 3 or 4 days a fortnight or so back.