Dutch canal+ mystery

mohyi

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hey guys i am having a problem with the dutch canal+ on Astra 19'2, during the day the reception is great i can receive it and view it perfectly but at night...the signal deteriorates and keeps fluctuating ....and i can't watch anything..is anyone experiencing the same problem???? pls let me know it is driving me crazy

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Where are you mohyi, what equipment are you using and does it happen with anything else on that satellite?

mohyi

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am in Egypt , i know the AStra 19'2 reception is weak in here but i do receive all other channels no problem.... i have a nokia 9200 i am using a force LNB with a 4 db noise that is all the info i know about my equiopment , i am a novice in this digital satellite think...so i appreciate any help and thanks for your interest in this issue..Mohyi

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
And I have exactly the reverse problem on the horizontally polarized tranponders of Nilesat. From my location in the Netherlands, I only get a usable signal in late evening, and at certain times of the year.

I believe the problem is that the atmosphere contains more moisture at certain times. The more moisture, the greater the absorption of the microwave signal. Similarly with respect to dust particles.

Maybe a bigger dish, or lower-noise LNB will help, but since you're well outside the official footprint of the sat it's not guaranteed to help much. There are a few other tweaks you can try too:
- realign dish. If my dish is even 0.2 degrees off Nilesat, I get nothing at all. The bigger your dish, the more accurate must be its positioning
- consider a Gregorian type dish (they are 10% better for the size).
- if yours is a mesh dish, try a solid instead. They are typically 10% better than mesh. This is because of two things. First, the mesh presents a somewhat uneven surface to the incoming wavefront, resulting in more scattering away from the LNB. Second, large mesh dishes are often segmented which means they are not perfectly parabolic - again resulting in more scattering.
- get rid of any excess coax cable and make it a single unbroken length between LNB and receiver. Every in-line conector results in some signal loss. Make sure the cable is good quality satellite-grade cable, and that it has no breaks/lesions where water might have ingressed. Make sure the coax is not longer than about 25m. If it is, you may need an inline signal amplifier to counter signal loss across the length of the cable.
- try a different make of receiver (the ability of the tuner to pick up weak signals varies from receiver to receiver)
- move house/country

2old