Dutch TV Astra 1G in Glasgow HELP

dutchie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none!
My Location
Glasgow
I was at a friend's house yesterday who got some obscure satelite system installed for £60 which was able to pick up BVN TV (dutch tv) which is available on ASTRA1g satellite. I live in Glasgow and would love to be able to watch dutch tv at home. I have searched this forum and internet for info but can not find any usefull info (or stuff I can understand :confused) My questions:

1. can anyone recommend an installer in Glasgow, <Scotland....(yes I have checked the forum, no luck) who can install a system (dish and box) to enable me to receive ASTRA channels?
2. I understand that other dutch stations (local tv stations) are available on ASTRA too, but BVN is ASTRA1g, does that mean that I would NOT be able to receive others on ASTRA if my dish was set up for ASTRAg?
3. does anyone have top tips for receivng dutch channels in Glasgow WITHOUT a monthly subscription via a Dutch address? (ie via freeviews)
4. I know lydl and aldi sometimes sell complete satelite systems, can anyone recommened cheap systems (less than £50) available in shops or online?
as you can tell, am new to this and its all most confusing and would appreciate your help.
Dutchie in Glasgow

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, dutchie,

You should not have too much of a problem installing the dish yourself. The signals from Astra 1 at 19.2E are pretty strong in the UK.

If you go to lyngsat.com you will see that there are a few satellites at 19.2E, you will be able to get all of them.

If you go to flysat.com, there is a FTA section and it will tell you all the dutch channels that are available on the various satellites.

Down here in the south a 60cm dish is the minimum reqired to get a signal from Astra1 without suffering pixelation when it's raining hard. So up there in Glasgow a slightly bigger dish would be better.

As for systems, you can really take you pick, if you only want FTA stuff. For £50, you are cutting it right to the bone if you buy new (if you can even find one). So I would say, whatever you can find within your price range would do the job. Maplin and Lidl are probably your best bet for that price range. Maplin sometimes do B-grade recevers for about £20. Alternatively you may be able to get something from ebay, or the classified section on here.

Robbo:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The dutch regional services are next door on Astra 1E located at 23.5E. They are transmitted at high power and in the clear. Theres about 8 of them :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
dutchie said:
I was at a friend's house yesterday who got some obscure satelite system installed for £60 which was able to pick up BVN TV (dutch tv) which is available on ASTRA1g satellite. I live in Glasgow and would love to be able to watch dutch tv at home. I have searched this forum and internet for info but can not find any usefull info (or stuff I can understand :confused) My questions:

1. can anyone recommend an installer in Glasgow, <Scotland....(yes I have checked the forum, no luck) who can install a system (dish and box) to enable me to receive ASTRA channels?
2. I understand that other dutch stations (local tv stations) are available on ASTRA too, but BVN is ASTRA1g, does that mean that I would NOT be able to receive others on ASTRA if my dish was set up for ASTRAg?
3. does anyone have top tips for receivng dutch channels in Glasgow WITHOUT a monthly subscription via a Dutch address? (ie via freeviews)
4. I know lydl and aldi sometimes sell complete satelite systems, can anyone recommened cheap systems (less than £50) available in shops or online?
as you can tell, am new to this and its all most confusing and would appreciate your help.
Dutchie in Glasgow

I am able to watch BVN channel also on Hot Bird 13E.
It is a nice channel, but with a lot of chit chat and somehow can be boring after few hours of watching.
The package on Astra 19.2E have a lot more channels, almost all encrypted.
_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/canaldigitaal19.html
Without a subscription, I doubt if you will be able to enjoy anything else apart from BVN and the FTA radio channels.
So my recommendation is to invest in a box which has a CAM with the right encryption instead of FTA receiver and to consider buying a 12 months subscription from one of the shops in the internet.
I think that there are several options with different price tags.
The difference in price may not be the big, but without the cam you won't have the flexibility in the future and you will end up regretting buying an FTA receiver.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m motorised qualitv decoder manhatten blind search decoder echostar 3600ip
My Location
glasgow
Welcome to the forum dutchie.Kanel comms in the south side of Glasgow is an option as is Glasgow satellite centre in Finnieston.As a new start I agree with analoguesat and go with 23.5.You should get a semi decent set up and install for approximately £200.Try for an stb with diseqc as that would let you go motorised once you get hooked on the amount of channels you can watch.good luck.

dutchie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none!
My Location
Glasgow
thank you for your answers.:

So my recommendation is to invest in a box which has a CAM with the right encryption instead of FTA receiver and to consider buying a 12 months subscription from one of the shops in the internet.

WHERE can i find such a thing on the internet?
sorry, as I said I AM a NEWBIE

:confused

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
dutchie said:
thank you for your answers.:

WHERE can i find such a thing on the internet?
sorry, as I said I AM a NEWBIE

:confused

Exactly.
For a subscription card for Canal Digitaal, check our site sponsors websites.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/index.php?page=sponsors

I have seen the following in a certain website:
The basic sub costs GBP £ 265.00 (Seca encryption) 12 months with these channels:
Animal Planet, BBC Prime, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, Eurosport, Jetix, MTV 2, MTV Base, MTV Hits, MTV Music, MTV NL, National Geographic, Nederland 1, Nederland 2, Nederland 3, Net 5, Nickelodeon, RNN7, RTL 4, RTL 5, RTL 7, RTL 8, SBS 6, TMF, Veronica, VH 1, VH 1 Classic. Plus radio stations: 3FM, Donna, Klara, Radio 2 (Netherlands), Radio 4, Studio Brussel, Q-Music, VRT Radio 1, VRT Radio 2

The Top option costs GBP £ 588.00
If the price is too high, then use Google. You might find something cheaper.
Try also websites in the Netherland, they are bound to be less expensive.
You can also ask other members who have a sub to give info from where they bought it.