Duuuh? Astra vs Astra2 - Topfield vs Skybox?

paul_pestille

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m motorised dish, twin LNBs, SkyFreesat & Topfield PVR5500
My Location
France
Hi Everyone
Some advice please - getting my Topfield to scan for channels on Astra shows no results, yet my Sky Freesat box picks up stuff no probs.....
On the otherhand, the Topfield finds plenty of stuff on Astra2.
Bearing in mind I sometimes want to record one channel (i.e. a FTA one) and view another (i.e. C4/5, not having a Sky+ subscription), its a pain in the neck having to swap satellites when all the necessary channels are on Astra2!
So, my question please is - should my Skybox pick up all its channels from Astra2 and not Astra? That way I could record via the Topfield and view via the Skybox, all on the same satellite...
thanks in advance!

Paul

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your Sky Freesat digibox will only work effectively on Astra 2, where all of the BBC, ITV and BSkyB channels are. You say that the Topfiled scans the channels on Astra 2, so i can't quite see what your problem is.

To be able to watch one channel and record another, you will need a twin LNB on your dish, to feed the Topfield and the Digibox, if you use the loopthrough from the Topfield to feed the Sky Digibox, you will get conflicts.

paul_pestille

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Hi Rolf
My problem is that when I get the Topfield to scan Astra2 (that the Skybox sources its channels from) it shows no channels - I have to move the dish a few degrees West to pickup the FTA channels. I have 2 LNBs - thats not the problem :)!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You need a TWIN lnb NOT two lnb's!

If you want to watch the same satellite on two different receivers you need a twin (or quad) output lnb.

Having 2 lnb's - one will be offset from the correct position and will give you the problems you describe.

paul_pestille

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
duuuh! indeed! - thanks!

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
classic,well spotted analoguesat