DVB, HTPC and SkyBSB

Stew

Reaction score
I am just building an HTPC/ Media Server. Bye bye DVD, Video, CD, Minidisc et al, hello brave new world of Showshifter, Media player, 200 Gig disc and dual layer dvd writer. The BIG question still puzzling me is what to do about Sky..... I subscribe to the full package and, although have I have a nice Sony receiver, would love to replace it with a DVB card in the HTPC. So, can it be done? What do I need to buy? and how much will it cost?

Rgds
Stew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
'Fraid that this is where your masterplan comes unstuck. It can't be done.

Good job you've got a nice digibox already! :D

Stew

Reaction score
Thankx - I think? :confused
Is that because Sky don't allow the encryption to be done outside of a digibox? it can't be down to the CAM as they're standard aren't they?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
S*Y seem reluctant to allow NDeeS on a CAM. Probably because it will make it easier to compromise.

Digibox only I'm afraid.

iain1969

Reaction score
You could still record on to your pc using a tv or video input card joined to you digi box so all is not lost.

jelockwood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Planning to buy Microsoft MCE when it supports Sat cards
My Location
United Kingdom
Stew said:
Thankx - I think? :confused
Is that because Sky don't allow the encryption to be done outside of a digibox? it can't be down to the CAM as they're standard aren't they?

Until recently no third party CAMs could do the encryption scheme Sky uses. However the Dragon CAM can now supposedly do this (it still uses your standard Sky viewing card).