DVB-S PCI Card

Allen1066

Reaction score
I'm at the stage of buying a card now. But which one ? How does the SkyStar2 compare to the Nexus-S ? I like the idea of a hardware decoder to take some pressure off the CPU, but is it just as capable of software decrypting using Multidec ?

Cheers,

Allen

Ghost_inside2003

Reaction score
I would go for the SkyStar 2, it is the best piece of equipment I have ever seen in my entire miserable life.

I must clarify I have both, the nexus and the SkyStar 2. The advantage of the Nexus is that your CPU will be below the 2% of use while using the hardware mpeg decoder, but that is not a big deal if you have a good machine.

On the other hand, if you have an NVidia FX video card you can use the proper graph and codec to take advantage of the FX decoding capabilities
while using the SkyStar 2 (which is cheaper than the nexus), switching channels is a little faster with the SkyStar 2.

Good luck.

I

Allen1066

Reaction score
Ghost_inside2003 said:
On the other hand, if you have an NVidia FX video card you can use the proper graph and codec to take advantage of the FX decoding capabilities
I have the NVidia FX5200. Are you talking about using myTheatre, or some other software? It would seem sensible to use the graphics card's decoder if at all possible.

Thanks,

Allen

Ghost_inside2003

Reaction score
The FX5200 will do most of the decoding work, freeing the cpu of a great deal of processing, you just need the proper graph and the mpeg software decoder.

I use RitzDVB and DVB Dream and both work nicely.