DVB-T Receivers and Adaptors - Latest Info

N

net1

Nokia sets Q3 release date for 110T

Nokia has announced it intends to release a new 110T model in its Mediamaster series of set-top-boxes in the third quarter of this year.

The 110T is designed to be a smaller, more portable box that could be used in holiday homes, caravans or boats; or as a second box in the home. The box sports a slim silver case and a small remote with a total of seventeen buttons. Although precise details on the expected feature set for the box aren't available, the launch release, teletext and channel favourite lists will be included in the software. It will also run an updated version of Nokia's NaviBars navigation system.

Jukka Tittu, Nokia Home's General Manager for Sales and Marketing, said:

"Wrapped in an compact and elegant silver-colored package, the Nokia Mediamaster 110T makes it effortless and economical for consumers to begin enjoying subscription-free digital television and radio. With its low power consumption, the Nokia Mediamaster 110T is ideal as a receiver for the kitchen, bedroom or even a vacation home, caravan or boat."

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Echostar T-101 FTA
Digital Terrestrial Receiver / TV Adaptor

Independent tests by DTG Testing Limited, a subsidiary of the Digital Television Group, have verified that the signal sensitivity is -86dBm, which is probably the best in the industry.

Multi-Function Remote Control
Easy-to-Use Graphical User Interface
Comprehensive On-Screen Help
MixvueTM Full-Screen Picture and Menu
Electronic Programme Guide
Automatic Setup and Tuning
Two SCART Connectors (TV, VCR)
RF Loop-through
4:3 and 16:9 Aspect Ratios
MHEG 5 Interactive Services / Digital Text
DVB Subtitling
Storage of up to 250 channels
18 Timers (8 for VCR, 10 for Reminders)
MPEG2/DVB Compliant (Reg. 2811)
Software Updates via Aerial
LED Status Indication
Size 230 x 125 x 40 mm (WxDxH)
Low Power Consumption (Approx. 7.25 Watts)

N

net1

Humax has revealed that the top end of its new range of LCD IDTVs - a 32-inch version scheduled to launch in September - will feature two Freeview tuners (in addition to an analogue tuner) as well as 15-minute TSR (Time Shift Recording). The twin digital tuners will support a PIP (picture in picture) feature, but will notably enable a VCR recorder to record one digital channel while watching another, or, indeed, enable Humax's single-tuner PVR product, the 8000-T, to do the same, leaving a spare Freeview feed to be sent elsewhere (fairly easily done given that this new flat-screen TV set has four SCART connectors).

The TSR feature is the 'pause' function which readers with PVRs will be familiar with, according to which you can stop what you're watching when the phone rings, and then resume where you left off when you put the phone down - in this case, however, it's solid-state memory that's being used to store the digital video, not a hard drive, and because of this it's only able to cope with a 15-minute 'hold'. Clever little feature, though.

The first receiver in the new Humax range, the 17-inch 16:9 LB17E (which doesn't incorporate these advanced features) will be available from John Lewis in the first week of April, says Humax's commercial director Dale Heathcote. The recommended retail price for the new TV has yet to be set.

N

net1

Thomson has unveiled an advanced IP set-top box designed to deliver rich home audio and video entertainment to consumers,.

The IP1001 - revealed at Hanover's CeBIT Exposition - is based on the company's recently-announced advanced compression video delivery platform that enables telcos to deliver high-quality audio and video content through existing IP networks such as DSL.

The STB supports current and next generation video codecs including MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2, Windows Media 9 Series, and MPEG-4 Part 10 (JVT).

The development enables telcos to deliver a complete home entertainment experience to consumers, including hundreds of television channels, digital audio, web browsing, gaming and e-mail directly into the living room. The technology was designed to be flexible so operators can upgrade the software and applications directly from the network. Thomson worked closely with Intel to create the platform, which incorporates a 733 MHz Celeron processor that provides flexible network connectivity.

The company has also announced the introduction of a new Digital Video Recorder (DVR) that is expected to be launched in the UK terrestrial market via major retailers.

theslydog

Reaction score
My Location
moon
In Australia they have a Zinwell that runs well and cheap.
ZDT-700FTA or ZDT-700I (Irdeto embedded) has also been rebadged as Mediastar.
Does get a little hot but seems to go fine.
Dont know if there is a UK version but has multilanguages so should be.
It runs off a 12v plugback.

Features:
Digital Reception covers VHF & UHF band
Wide screen 16:9 and normal 4:3 Aspect Ratio
S-VHS and composite video output
AC-3 Digital Audio via SPDIF
Picture in Graphic (PIG) support
Teletext/Bit Map subtitle
Signal level & quality indicator
Parental control
RS232 Software Upgradeable
2 Groups of Favorite Channels
Quick/Auto/Manual Channel Scanning
Electronic Program Guide and Information Plate
Closed Caption Hot Key
PLL Remodulator covers the whole UHF & VHF Band
Video Connectivity including S-Video (Y/C) and composite
Multi-Language OSD
3-D effect OSD and User Friendly Color Key Operation

SetTBoxFront_300.jpg

SetTBoxback_300.jpg

K

kevshellward

Do's any one now where i can get the hex-file's for my nokia 9850t so i can get some more chanels

Wynne

Reaction score
In January this year I bought a Philips DTR 1500 free view receiver. I returned the first unit to the supplier after the digital audio output failed (it initially worked). The replacement unit worked for a while but then the digital audio output failed again. It failed after being left in standby or low power mode (after being in standby for 5 minutes it briefly drops into low power mode). The output did not reappear if the unit was switched off and back on again. I found it was possible to recover the digital output by going into the aerial alignment set up and switching the sound bleeper on. I emailed Philips to alert them to the problem but in the three months since they have contacted me just once to ask for the software version (which is 0032).

Another, and for me more irritating fault, is the channel status bar that is permanently displayed if you select a channel twice – i.e. if you are viewing BBC 1 and then select it again it leaves the channel ident bar up permanently. For most people it’s not a problem (pressing the menu button twice clears it). In my case it is controlled by a Philips DVDR80 DVD recorder which uses Guide plus. Recording two separate programmes on the same channel results in the second recording having a large blue bar permanently on it.

N

net1

Freeview receiver prices have experienced a sharp fall over the last two months, according to the latest survey.

We found that the average price for a set-top box able to receive the DTT service has fallen from £94 to £85 since February – equivalent to a drop of just under 10 per cent. This represents a substantial and unexpectedly large decrease, since prices only fell by 13 per cent over the previous 12-month period

The findings cover all Freeview set-top boxes. If one excludes so-called ‘combination’ devices (Freeview receivers containing a DVD player, a hard drive or VCR functionality), the average price of a basic box is now just £78, against £87 two months ago.

Martin_DTTV

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat with Humax HDR, Freeview with a couple of PVRs and the TV
My Location
Worcester
I have a Pace Twin and it is a great piece of kit

SiMoof

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova DVB-t pci
Cost: £79.99 (Same as Haupage Nova-t)
Hardware: PCI Card(TV Antenna input, Video In (S-video with composite adapter, remote control sensor), Remote control

I tired for three months to get software problems with this card ironed out. Good hardware but would not work with third party software and it's own software would often bomb out. No Text. Basic Scheduler. Setting up a timed record would work some times. Pause and instant record fine. Nice feature of showing signal strength. Replaced with Hauppauge, would reccomend the nova-t for stability)

Nick -D-vB

Reaction score
The NetGem I-Player is very similar to the DreamBox,

[ IBM Power PC running Linux ]

If we could only work out how to spoof the update hand-shake we could load the Dbox cardsharing tools.

Any ideas?

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
rolfw why do they all seem to just have r f loop why can they not have modulator built in as well as scart far more usefull , i tend to go for this type , elderly people dont understand scart lol

theslydog

Reaction score
My Location
moon
elderly people dont understand scart lol

Yeah, lol - how many times have I gone into an elderly persons house to do an install only to find a new plasma or lcd tv with the video, dvd or paytv connected through coax...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The females outnumber me at home and despite having my satellite set-up I very seldon get to watch anything as we only have two TV's each one guarded by a different female. So I bit the bullet and purchased a Freecom DVB-T Usb Stick. Looked reasonably priced at £35.00 but with VAT and and carriage came to £46.00. (doesn't it always)
However when I received the parcel it was about the size of a mobile phone box. Inside was mostly cardboard box and fresh air which I may have appreciated had I been two years old....
Inside the box was the USB stick approx 6cm long a stick on aeriel a credit card sized remote control cd rom and usb extender lead.
Inserted disk as instructed, plugged in and software installed, received message low signal. In fairness the Winter Hill transmitter is hidden behind a hill hence the reason for satellite tv many years ago. A quick trip to the loft found a thirty year old tv aerial which I mounted in the loft and pointed in general direction, switched on and whooo whoo 93 tv and radio stations to play with. My pc is a bit long in the tooth (3 1/2 years old) but it still managed (just ) to cope with live TV. The control skin is a tad small for someone of my age but everything seems to work fine, there is a full 7 day EPG wiich is very useful and despite the age of my PC the picture quality is excellent. In general terms I am pleased with my unusual purchase.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Strangely enough, had a play with another version at the weekend, digital and analogue, very neat. :)

Nick -D-vB

Reaction score
If you use these BDA drivers you can use the Freecom stick with you favorite sat software [like MyTheatre or ProgDVB]

_http://www.yuan.com.tw/en/support/driver/pd300mini.zip

or

_http://www.yakumo.de/downloads/drivers/DVB-T/Quickstick/Yakumo%20TV%20Viewer%208.11.05.zip

You could even get TopUpTV on it if you wanted.

8)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Thanks for that nick I would like to have a play when my pc is upgraded

dmm

Reaction score
has anyone noticed a difference in signal strength with a pci based dvb-t card as opposed to these freecoms ? - i have a freecom - excellent - but i also tried a pci based dvb-t card - one of the twinhans - signal strength about 40% less - can only get BBC (location Belfast) - but freecom picks up everything - is it something to do with being USB based as opposed to PCI based - ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I cannot claim any pci card experience but seeing as the latest USB ports run 40 times faster than the older spec USB ports I suspect that it is simply a case of more signal being available to the processor owing to that significant increase in speed