* Now & Next Info
* Signal Quality Meter
* Owner ID
* Auto Set-up Tuning System
* Over-Air Software Download Facility
* 999 Channel Storage
* W:235 x H:38 x D:136 mm

tuct20.jpg

Why 999 channel storage when it will struggle to fill in 100?

Also wondered why TV set manufactories make their tellies capable of storing 100 channels when you will only use at most 10 of them(BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4, CH5, VCR, SAT, Console, DTT)?

David

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Split this from the main thread David, as that is for information on new boxes only.

To answer your question, there may be more than ten avalable on cable systems, but I agre that it does seem overkill for TVs

I would guess that it is possible eventually, that the DTT receivers may have to cope with more than 100 channels.

BG101

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
East Midlands
I use around 15 on my TV sets and VCRs / DVD recorder, some of these are cable channels. Even if all the analogue channels were FTA (i.e. without the sync inversion) there would still be less than 100. Plus a lot of TVs and VCRs don't have VHF/hyperband tuners so are only capable of receiving a theoretical maximum of 49 (48) channels anyway! DTT may well reach more than 100 after analogue switch-off - this will free up a minimum of 5 frequencies for use with digital multiplexes, more if relays are not used. Due to better immunity to co-channel interference, more frequencies will probably be available in many areas - probably allowing another 15 MPXs bringing channel capacity to nearer 200. I doubt if this will ever be utilized though knowing the very slow takeoff of multichannel TV services when compared to other countries - namely the USA where many cities have between 16 and 30 ANALOGUE channels.

Regards

BG