DVBPortal with s2_emu and MCE 2005

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 receiver, 88cm Triax dish, Moteck 2100A motor, Vista MCE x86 (1TB), Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T, lots of X10 etc
My Location
Hull, UK
I got my new system installed this week with help from tigertimtim.
It took me a few hours to work out how to get ProgDVB 4.62.6 working with Skystar2 4.30 and SS2DiSEqC19, but I got there in the end.
Adding S2 emu 1.19 into the mix was very easy, and works a treat.

I want to be able to view my Sat channels via MCE 2005 and hence DVBPortal seems to be the only way to go at the moment since they have a nice MCE Plugin.

DVBPortal was no so forgiving however. I can't get s2emu to work. I have read Stan Drew's comments from ht tp://www.satel lites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=10046 to no avail.

Does anybody here use DVBPortal with s2 emu on MCE 2005? If so could you offer some advice for a struggling noob?

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 receiver, 88cm Triax dish, Moteck 2100A motor, Vista MCE x86 (1TB), Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T, lots of X10 etc
My Location
Hull, UK
Apologies. I DO have s2 emu working for Multivision channels.

I'm obviously still struggling with how the .key files work, which ones I need, and where to put them.

Am I right in thinking that for s2 emu, I just need:

Softcam.key
seca2.cfg
s2_Mt_0064.bin
s2_hash_0064.bin
s2_Mt_0065.bin
s2_hash_0065.bin
s2_Mt_0070.bin
s2_hash_0070.bin

Do I need mrkeys.txt and all the other guff that comes in *those* zipfiles?

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
I only use S2EMU.dll and SoftCam.key and the ini file with mine ,just 3 files for me,it depends upon what you are decrypting.

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hull, UK
OK, I've since sorted it all out.
For anyone interested, I am now running DVBPortal on my MCE 2005 PC, with s2emu and vplug using the DVBPortal MCE plugin.
I can now change channel, view and record sat channels using my MCE remote within MCE with my Skystar2.
Very happy bunny.:-sugar

Merry Xmas everyone.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will give a few visitors hope :D

How do you find the stability and useability of DVBPortal?

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hull, UK
DVBPortal seems as stable as any of the others. I have Skyview, ProgDVB, and DVBViewer running too.
Only read about sat since Monday, and got my dish installed on Wednesday. It's Saturday now, so it's been quite a curve.
I think I prefer the interface of ProgDVB, but I need to use MCE or the wife won't be able to cope, so it has to be DVBPortal (I know I could use Skyavc.ax with Skyview as an asx stream, but it's not as cool). The DiSEqC 1.2 support of DVBPortal is not great. The channel change doesn't trigger the Mibi's SS2Diseqc utility so it's a manual job. I'm stuck using Hotbird within MCE at the moment, but watch this space...
I'm now looking for a better way to autoupdate my .key files. If I can't find one, I may have to script one. I'm *gobsmacked* nobody has a good way of doing this.
I'm also still trying to figure out which channels are good, and which are naff. It's a big old sky up there!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, there are one or two nice Auto Update utilities, but I'm not going to spill the beans, or they'll stop flippin' working! :D

Can you drive the motor correctly from the SS2diseqc gui?

If so, do you have the correct satellites (ini's) sub-folder installed and if so have you tried the whole lot in a subfolder of DVBPortal called /plugins?

STICK

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hull, UK
Yeah, I can drive the dish by the SS2diseqc tool's gui, but not automagically by changing channel. I tried putting the sat folder in the plugins dir, but still no good. You're not suggesting you have it working are you? If you do, further beans need spilling.

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hull, UK
Sorted the autoupdate now with a scheduled GetRight job btw.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, that's the sort of thing. There are a couple of custom grabbers, but it's not rocket science ;)

It's the location that's hard to tie down for any decent period of time, so you need to be in a secret club :-googly LOL

The DiSEqC plugin works in most, but not all viewers and I guess that this ain't one of them :(

Well done. You've picked up a heap of stuff in double-quick time. My crystal ball has you buying a Dreambox before Easter :D

Begtets

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hull, UK
<flamesuit>
Why on earth would I want a dreambox? Sounds like a tivo for dvb to me.
I had fun modding the tivo, but nothing comes close to MCE.
</flamesuit>

I'll go and read up on dreamboxes though just in case ;-)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Begtets said:
I'll go and read up on dreamboxes though just in case ;-)

Ha! Slippery slope! :D