DVD 5.1 Help

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
I have just bought a stand alone Pioneer 565-DVD Player. Is says it has built in 5.1 decoder. What AMP Speakers will do the job. Do I need a 5.1 Decoder with speakers or just a normal ampo and speakers. Here are all the detaits about the machine.

The main details are

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=4708&taxonomy_id=45-64

The back of the machine is like this

Please can you give me the chaepest soloutin to get the 5.1 DTS. Thank you.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Individual remote powered speakers, and short runs of phono cable

Hope you have a small living room, with electrical sockets in all corners

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
You also need a sub-woofer. 5.1 = left & right front, centre speaker (voice), 2 x rear speakers (thats the 5) and the s/woofer which is the .1. Just in case you needed to know that, Shahid.

If you want full multi-channel playback you may need to connect to either the optical or the coax digital output of the palyer.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
What part has the phono sockets on the speaker sets is it te subwoofer?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Sorry? Not clear on what you are asking.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
You need an amp with inputs for each of the DVD players 6 analogue output channels, i.e. an amp (Receiver) that supports Dolby Pro Logic. You then connect each of the DVD players analogue outputs to the Receivers analogue input. You will also need 2 front, 2 read, 1 centre and 1 sub-woofer speaker. When connecting in this manner you will be using the Dolby Digital (DD) decoder built into the DVD player to decode the DD audio stream, the signal is then passed on to the Receiver as siz analogue channels.

Alternatively you can attach your DVD player to a Receiver using a single cable, either optical or coaxial. In this case you will need a reciever that has its own built in DD decoder (and DTS for best sound quality). IF you are planning on taking this route and need to buy a Receiver then buy one with as many idigital inputs as you can afford, proferably both coaxial and optical. At least one digital output on the Receiver could also be useful.

The fist option is the cheapest. The second more flexible.