DVD Burners For Dreambox files

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Hi All
Could we have a list of dvd burner packages that will burn dreambox files.

Currently i have read that Nero reloaded reads ts files. Downloading at the moment so will report back. Has anyone used a decent one that dont take hours to burn and what files do you send to the burner.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm trying to find out some more about VideoReDo at the mo.

I doesn't perform the actual burn, but allegedly, it does everything else in preparation.

It's available as a free trial, but I want to know more b4 I instal it.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
I'm trying to find out some more about VideoReDo at the mo.

I doesn't perform the actual burn, but allegedly, it does everything else in preparation.

It's available as a free trial, but I want to know more b4 I instal it.

Have a load of software at the moment (free). Which one do you use at the moment. The nero 6 wont recognise the video file .mpv will do audio one ok. Will have a look at the one you are trying to find out about.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I've tried a whole cocktail of programs, but couldn't get a good enough quality output file, so gave up.

My HDD is now choking to death, so I've started just burning the .mpg and .ts files to DVD-r to clear some space.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
I've tried a whole cocktail of programs, but couldn't get a good enough quality output file, so gave up.

My HDD is now choking to death, so I've started just burning the .mpg and .ts files to DVD-r to clear some space.

Exactly the same here. Loads of movies to get rid of. My internal dvd burner wont recognise the files ie .ts .mpv .mpg

121fred

Reaction score
My Location
Tasmania Australia
Hi lads
You can do the converting editing and burning easily on a Mac. FTP the .TS files to mac, use MPEG Streamclip to convert to virtually any file type you like, I convert to Quicktime. You can do basic edits in Streamclip or fancier edits in iMovie for 4:3 or Final cut for 16:9. Burn using iMovie or Toast (makes menus easily). Takes a little time for conversions but works perfectly every time and produces exact replica quality copies. I have tried on PC using PVA strumento etc but it is no where near as easy or as good quality. I know this is little use if you only have a PC but you may be able to get access to a friends or Hire one to do all your DVD's etc.

Cheers 121fred

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
121fred said:
You can do the converting editing and burning easily on a Mac. FTP the .TS files to mac, use MPEG Streamclip to convert to virtually any file type you like, I convert to Quicktime.

Exactly the way I do it with my Mac and it works.

Remember - you have to install the Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component to allow conversion to Quicktime.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
121fred said:
Hi lads
You can do the converting editing and burning easily on a Mac. FTP the .TS files to mac, use MPEG Streamclip to convert to virtually any file type you like, I convert to Quicktime. You can do basic edits in Streamclip or fancier edits in iMovie for 4:3 or Final cut for 16:9. Burn using iMovie or Toast (makes menus easily). Takes a little time for conversions but works perfectly every time and produces exact replica quality copies. I have tried on PC using PVA strumento etc but it is no where near as easy or as good quality. I know this is little use if you only have a PC but you may be able to get access to a friends or Hire one to do all your DVD's etc.

Cheers 121fred

Nice one, but im not about to change my lappie. Only got it before x mas.
But nice reply thanks.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
john_graydon said:
Hi All
Could we have a list of dvd burner packages that will burn dreambox files.

Currently i have read that Nero reloaded reads ts files. Downloading at the moment so will report back. Has anyone used a decent one that dont take hours to burn and what files do you send to the burner.
John
It took a while before it was a seamless routine but I put things on DVD like this:
They are either .ts files from DB hdd or captures from hauppauge DEC2000T off terrestrial.
• web browser ftp://192.168.0.24
• Create folder MOVIE TITLE on ext drive of PC to store all files for that MOVIE in.
• find movie on hdd and download just the .ts files to folder MOVIE TITLE
• load all .ts files into PVAStrumento (in right order)
• demux to make .mpv and .mpa files in the same folder
• load .mpv file into Mpeg2Schnitt. .mpa file loads automatically
• mark the bits I dont want to keep (usually top and tail but may be ads off ITV) Skip Mpeg2Schnitt if you are happy with the thing as it is.
• output edited files .mpv and .mpa into same folder (include "cut" in file name)
• Open TMPGEnc
• If I dont want to remove logo or subtitles, just use tools to remux to make a new .mpg file in the same folder. This .mpg file is DVD compliant and the same quality as the version on DVD hdd.
• If it's got a logo and/or subtitles in black strip, then I use the masking facility to send upper and lower black strips totally to black. Then export to new .mpg file. Because this takes time, I dont do it unless I have to, i.e. if logo is in pic, leave it.
• Author a DVD using Ulead MF. Make an iso. Name it & put in same folder.
• Either wait till I have a batch of movies or burn the isos using DVD Decrypter which is so good.
• End product is a DVD that is as good as transmitted.

After a while, it gets automatic and slick and you just do the key strokes and leave it till you remember (i.e. don't stand over it). One in 10 movie .ts are 'funny' and need special treatment. My DVD blanks cost 20p, I put them in transparent sleeves and keep them in a box near tv. Eventually I give them away to people close to me.
My 300GB hdd got half full and filling, so I had to intervene.
But its a nice feeling to have 60 unwatched movies on hdd, a large number on disk and suddenly the screen goes black for three weeks, apart from MV.

I have the full suite of Apple pro stuff for Mac (DVD Studio Pro 3, Motion Retail, Final Cut Pro) plus Bitvice, but until there is a decent mpeg editor or TS -> PS converter, I just use Mac for editing .dv files (from digi cameras) and authoring to DVD and also turning a room full of VHSs into DVD. It is possible the Apple stuff does what I want, but the manuals are thousands of pages long.

(Kit =
Sony Viao + 130GB ext
G4 tit + 160GB ext
G5 desktop with 200Gb int, but linked to 9TB Xserve by 1Gbps ethernet phwoooaar . . . . xfer 4GB in less than a minute)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
I will try this today Haggard, not going to work. Great to be self employed.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
john_graydon said:
I will try this today Haggard, not going to work. Great to be self employed.
Today was a day not to go to work . . . .
It reminds me of those mornings in Yorks as a lad, hammering the ice off the top of jug in order to pour water to wash face . . . . .

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
haggard said:
Today was a day not to go to work . . . .
It reminds me of those mornings in Yorks as a lad, hammering the ice off the top of jug in order to pour water to wash face . . . . .

As Rolf said to me ages ago, we can use those s*y cards to clear those windscreens now, not the M11 yet though...
BTW MF = movie factory 1 or 3.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Haggard
cant get the .mpv file into TMPGenc the .mpa one will go in to make an .mpg file. Would the settings be wrong in TMPG.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
john_graydon said:
Haggard
cant get the .mpv file into TMPGenc the .mpa one will go in to make an .mpg file. Would the settings be wrong in TMPG.

Instead of using 'browse' to get the mpv file (it doesnt always show up), try dragging the file into the place where the video file name should be. that usually works. then drag the mpa file into the audio slot.
It must be a bug.,
btw you know that the T in TMPG means tsunami.......?

I have ulead paid for mf2 and paid for mf3.
i use mf2 still, mf3 has silly addons

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
haggard said:
Instead of using 'browse' to get the mpv file (it doesnt always show up), try dragging the file into the place where the video file name should be. that usually works. then drag the mpa file into the audio slot.
It must be a bug.,
btw you know that the T in TMPG means tsunami.......?

I have ulead paid for mf2 and paid for mf3.
i use mf2 still, mf3 has silly addons

Well I certn`ly sorted my loads of movies on HD to record. Deleted them all by mistake today by ftp. Was updating for the hydra and deleted the control panel file and then everything went. Do you know what IHAD stands for????? I Had A Dreambox No Wonder....Agghraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
john_graydon said:
Well I certn`ly sorted my loads of movies on HD to record. Deleted them all by mistake today by ftp. Was updating for the hydra and deleted the control panel file and then everything went. Do you know what IHAD stands for????? I Had A Dreambox No Wonder....Agghraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
john you may have erased the directory files but not the movies.
you can retrieve them possibly by using mac DB dreamstreamx try dreamboxadmin reload movies. or any disk repair from pc to DB

or if you just trashed the CP, the movies are all still there untouched.
you trashed the flash, not hdd.

try web browser ftp://THE.IP.OF.DB and see what comes up.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
haggard said:
john you may have erased the directory files but not the movies.
you can retrieve them possibly by using mac DB dreamstreamx try dreamboxadmin reload movies. or any disk repair from pc to DB

or if you just trashed the CP, the movies are all still there untouched.
you trashed the flash, not hdd.

try web browser ftp://THE.IP.OF.DB and see what comes up.

The ip address cant be resolved comes up. Will google for something. Cant record either. No space comes up.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
john_graydon said:
The ip address cant be resolved comes up. Will google for something. Cant record either. No space comes up.
Looks like a grim reaper-reflash doesnt it . . . . . .
but the hdd should be unscathed . . . .
I have trashed my flash twice and the hdd was unaffected.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, I think haggard is right. There is no reason why your disk won't still contain the movies. Reflash, and then check the directory structure, starting from the root. Look for the /movies directory.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes, I think haggard is right. There is no reason why your disk won't still contain the movies. Reflash, and then check the directory structure, starting from the root. Look for the /movies directory.

Re flashed yesterday with FWP with basic image to flash and i even deleted images in multiboot and loaded fresh ones in again. Went into root then /hdd just all blank there. At top of screen Disk space //DiskGB// //DiskH // 12.23H up. Went into DCC and into tools then into send command. Reload recordings & got message to say success, but still nothing. The problem happened when i unzipped the folder for hydra control panel. Put the unzipped FOLDER in /tmp and when it did`nt work I realised I put the wrong item in, it should not have been unzipped. So I deleted the 7000 folder in temp and i noticed it was rather taking a long time but left it to do its job. Then i put in the unzipped version and done the rest via the remote on dreambox. All worked fine until i noticed no HD no movies. So went investaging and tried to find the directory via ftp but couldnt find it. Did not touch anything else or deleted anything. I know its there somewhere, but where.