DVD burning with a PVR Receiver

felician

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea about DVD burning with a PVR Receiver with Hard Drive?
Has anyone succeeded with any particular PVR?
Thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What equipment are you intending to use felician?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
If you intend buying a PVR for the purpose of burning progs to disc then Topfield have a new model out .... TF6000PVRE. The 'E' indicates an ethernet interface. It supports the DHCP protocol which means it can automatically obtain an IP address from a router or can be manually assigned a permanent IP address by a user. Then the box can be accessed from a local network or even the internet.
From a PC connected to the internet you could key in the receiver's IP address and be connected to the receiver, from there it's possible to delete, rename or copy recordings held on the receivers hdd.

Sounds interesting I reckon.

dutchy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace
My Location
Cambridgeshire
I am planning to buy a Topfield becuase I want to burn DVDs from a recorded image, but hesitate about which PVR version.
I have asked Topfield and they state that 'any Topfield PVR which has a USB 2.0 connection can be accessed from the PC.' So the Ethernet is not really needed (But I like an Ethernet cable over wireless or US:cool:.
This means I have not tried it yet but I have read about this in a different (Topfield) forum: The format on the disk can NOT be directly used. Instead you need to have special software on the PC which converts the image.

PGH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a Topfield and regularly use the method given on Doom9's site under "DVB to DVD-R guide":

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/dvbs-soft.htm

Most of the time you only need PVAStrumento - one pass to split the file to its video and audio components, MPEG2Schnitt - to edit out the ends and the adverts, IFOEdit to put it into the DVD format (and optionally create an ISO image) and then burn the DVD using your favourite program!
A couple of points to watch: The Topfield file is in TS format although the extension is .REC. I change the extension as sometimes PVAStrumento gets confused. Also, PVAStrumento often splits out two audio files from the transport stream, one of which is the audio description file. Always check (in MPEG2Schnitt) which audio file you have loaded since PVAStrumento doesn't care which file has which name and it is a real bore to end up with a voice-over you don't want!!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I use DreamBox 7000S with HDD, record (format *.ts) and then ftp to PC via ethernet cable.
Burn the *.ts to DVD with Nero.
Add thumbnails, automatic chaptering or manual, etc.
Very easy.