DVD recorder - external link triggered unnecessary

Koen C

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky FTV, Humax CI-receiver with Canal Digitaal (Dutch satellite) FTV, Wave Frontier T90
My Location
Antwerp, Belgium
Hello to all of you... First post here for me, but I've had a bit of experience with satellite setups over the last couple of years.

The problem: I have a DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-ES10) which is connected to two satellite receivers: a Humax CI 8100 and a Pace 3100 Sky+ box. The recorder has an 'external link' facility'; this means that if I would use a timer function on a satellite receiver the recorder automatically starts recording as soon as the sat receiver is turned on.

Unfortunately, this external link is triggered regularly without me using any timer function whatsoever on any of my receivers! It has happened I am recording something, and suddenly the recorder turns itself off, going into standby, mentioning 'external link' on its display. The function has also been triggered when the recorder was already in standby anyway. It has happened as well that 'external link' appeared on the display during a timer recording on the Panasonic; in that case it continues recording, and turns itself off afterwards.

The Pana users' manual says external link can only be triggered through a fully connected 21 pin SCART connection. The Pace digibox is currently the only apparatus hooked up to the recorder with such a cable. The Pace has been connected for some months with a SCART -> 3 X cinch cable; same results.

I suppose this is one of these nice software bugs digital machines always seem to have... Anyone any thoughts? Help would be greatly appreciated!

:-snowman And a merry christmas. All right, little bit too late... Or 360 days early!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-Welcome1 to the forum Koen C

No disrespect meant but the likelyhood of anyone having that exact equipment setup, cabling setup and experiencing the same I would have thought limited to say the least. It is of course unfortunate to see that sort of problem happening and there probably is an explanation, I hope someone is able concur at the very least and if possible supply a solution.

sprince

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY+ digibox
Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder
My Location
Berkshire
I can at least empathise with your problem. I have exactly the same issue with my Panasonic DMR-ES10, which is connected to my Sky+ box via fully connected 21 pin SCART.

Using RGB output from the Sky+ box (for which the Panasonic manual tells me External Link is not supported) has no effect - we still get recordings triggered randomly, even though Sky+ is not set to record anything.

sprog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 808 CI Via
Jokercam-Retired!,T-REX,
Rusty Old 80cm mesh dish on fence pole!
My Location
South Wales
I have been told that disconnecting pin 8 on the SCART cable can prevent the AUTO switching, dont know if that helps with this problem!