DVD, value added releases are they unwanted?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Is it just me, or am I right in thinking that film companies are maintaining the prices of DVDs by adding features that nobody wants?

I've looked at the new Attack of the Clones DVD and it is an expensive two disk set, I now have several two disk sets, none of which have I ever had the inclination to watch the second disk.

They keep telling us that DVDs are more expensive because they have more material on them, but have they ever asked the punters whether they actually want all of the extra garbage?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I agree with you Rolf, I'm not enamoured by extras on DVDs. Another point, though, is that Costco online sell Attack of the Clones (2 DVD set) for only $18.99. What's that £12.60? Rip-off Britain again!

Jimbo

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I used to get my DVDs by post from the US, they were always 30% cheaper delivered and at least 3 months earlier, but still with those "extras".

Reminds me of the argument that the record companies first put forward as to why CDs were more expensive than LPs, "they cost more to make", I get three CDs a day through the post from AOL and similar, how expensive must they be?

B

bigus

Yes its a rip !

My advice is get a multi region player and buy region 1 DVD's from either Play.com or dvdboxoffice.com

Region 1 titles usually released first, the picture quality of the Region 1 discs is better (which is odd but it is trust me) and if you want a really good picture and no added crap buy the "Superbit" dvd's. They take out all the flashy menus, bonus stuff etc etc and use the additional space on the disc to put a higher quality signal on it that any dvd player can still play but the picture is way better :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Bigus, haven't bought any DVDs for a while, but used to get them from the US, hadn't heard of these Superbit disks, will keep my eyes open for them.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Bigus, just had a look, i will look out for them from now on.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
I get my DVDs from my local Market, £10.00 each they have Korean subtitles on em so those little extras come in handy
(removing subtitles) Only time i would pay Genuine price is for a title i cannot get from Market.