king_ralph

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer VSX2011D
Mission speakers
Xbox360
My Location
Belgium
Sorry to come with a stupid question but i would like some lighting about a problem i am afraid to have.

I have a projector (Sanyo PLZ2) having a DVI input. As you all know when we speak about HD, HDTV etc...we always speak about HDMI cable...

I have read somewhere that there is some adaptator to transform a HDMI to DVI cable but the thing i don't understand is that the HDMI cable is for image and sound. The dvi cable is only for the image. As i am waiting for the DM8000, do you think we can use the HDMI adaptator to DVI and output the digital sound from another output like optical ?

Sorry if my question seems stupid as I am new in this complex world.

Thanks for your feebdack.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Yes. HDMI does carry audio and video but you can still use the optical out (from the 8000 or any HDMI device) to an AV amp and the HDMI to your projector.

king_ralph

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer VSX2011D
Mission speakers
Xbox360
My Location
Belgium
Thank you for the response ;) Was afraid that my DVI was useless :)

Still need to wait for the DM8000. Any news about it ?

good2talk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing at the moment until I find a receiver.
My Location
yookay
king_ralph said:
Sorry to come with a stupid question but i would like some lighting about a problem i am afraid to have.

I have a projector (Sanyo PLZ2) having a DVI input. As you all know when we speak about HD, HDTV etc...we always speak about HDMI cable...

I have read somewhere that there is some adaptator to transform a HDMI to DVI cable but the thing i don't understand is that the HDMI cable is for image and sound. The dvi cable is only for the image. As i am waiting for the DM8000, do you think we can use the HDMI adaptator to DVI and output the digital sound from another output like optical ?

Sorry if my question seems stupid as I am new in this complex world.

Thanks for your feebdack.

Alternatively, you can also use component out for the video and optical for the audio. You will find it working brilliant!

king_ralph

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer VSX2011D
Mission speakers
Xbox360
My Location
Belgium
Yes but component work with HD ? It's true that my xbox 360 is connected by component and that 720P or even 1080i is not considered as HD ?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
For HDMI / DVI differences, and 1080 / 720 etc, see my HDTV primer, in section below.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I plan to use my DM500s to an HTPC to projector; dvi and optical.

HD world cup here we come :)

Only 720 PJ but better than nothing ;)