Ebay ban Western Union type money transfer

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ebay have now banned the use of these services, as they are a major factor in online auction fraud.

Must say that I would never buy from a seller using only this type of money transfer, any others have an opinion on this?

PS. This is supported by Western Union.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well overdue. Ebay have warned against it for a long time, but some folks are in a big hurry to be charitable at this time of year.

:-gnome

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would like Paypal and Ebay to make a few more changes, but trying to get them to listen is very hard.

First thing I would like is for buyers or sellers feedback to carry an average transaction price, or allow look up of the items bought or sold for a much longer period. Having watched the TV programme on ebay fraud, it shows how easy it is to spend less than £100 and obtain what appears to be a glowing feedback ranking, even when the average price of items bought or sold is less than a couple of pounds.

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
rolfw said:
Ebay have now banned the use of these services, as they are a major factor in online auction fraud.

Must say that I would never buy from a seller using only this type of money transfer, any others have an opinion on this?

PS. This is supported by Western Union.

Here's an example of attempted fraud on us just a couple of weeks ago. Interesting because we were the sellers.
My wife was selling a mobile phone on an auction site. Buyer wanted to pay by Moneygram, a service offered by the UK Post Office and others, and through the auction site message service asked her for our address and telephone number "needed by the payment service". A few days later she received an email apparently from Moneygram, complete with grammatical errors, advising that the cash had been deposited by the buyer, giving a tracking number, and a link to a Post Office Web site where we could verify it. The e-mail went on to say that we could now send the phone to the buyer. Also, before we would receive the cash we would need to provide either a driving licence number or NI number for identification purposes.

Now Moneygram is a payment service and would never advise anyone to send goods. And they wouldn't ask for such identity - a clear case of attempted identity theft, not to mention the loss of the phone and no payment.

I tried to contact Moneygram through their website to ask if the mail was authentic, but this is impossible unless you are a customer who has sent some money through them - not a potential receiver of money from them. However I found enough info in their FAQs to conclude that it was a scam and we pulled out.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That's an interesting one, have to say that they are very inventive and if their grammar was better they would get away with it more often.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Other than the out and out crooks, the most common injustice on ebay and other auction sites IMO are some of the inflated postage costs. That's where I'd like to see more control exercised.

It's clearly against ebay policy to set the BIN prices low, and jack up the P&P, but it's rife.

Many other sellers take the **** too. I don't pay, but it narks me.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Fortunately if someone is selling an item for 99p and charging £20 P&P and it's clearly marked you don't have to bid.

I think there should be another secure method of payment apart from Paypal. Ebay own Paypal so they push it but how many bites of the cherry do Ebay want ?
An auction site with no competition and a payment method with no competition all owned by one company.

Nice work if you can get it. :-anvil

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are also Nochex and Fastpay, but of course they are not pushed on the Ebay. :)

The postage scam can be useful if buying from a non-EU country, as the low item value often avoids duty, but if it is a EU seller, then there is no excuse. The other scam is that a few buyers were insisting on insurance if you paid by Paypal, (to cover their charges), but I believe that has been stopped now.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
something that has always confused me with abay is sometimes sellers set a lower start bid than there reserve bid, so they ask u to make a bid of say a fiver then tell u its not enough!, then u bid a tenner and it's still not enough! so whats the point, surely the start bid that they set should be what they will accept. no?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It encourages bidding, and the listing fee is less (well, it used to be...)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, it is standard auction practice.:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
yes but don't u think it's :-nuts,
its like i say say to u go on make an offer for this apple,
u say no,
i say go on make me an offer of 10p,
u say yes,
then i say no