eBay

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Hi guys,

I've bought something off eBay, a CD-i disc for 49p, delivery is £1.29, leading to the grand total of £1.79.

BEFORE I placed my bid, I e-mailed and asked the seller about the condition of the disc, he said it was good, he also said (only in this private message to me), if I pay via PayPal, i need to add on 50p paypal charge.

I won the auction, and decided to pay by cheque because I don't agree with the buyer paying the PayPal charge. I don't mind waiting for the item, so the 5 day period of time needed for the cheque to clear didn't bother me.

But in the invoice instructions, along with his address to send the cheque too, he has added an extra 50p for mandatory postal insurance, which wasn't mentioned AT ALL beforehand.

I know we are only talking about small amounts of money, but it is principle, and I am almost broke as it is!!! And for one thing, why the hell is postal insurance needed on a 49 pence CD? I certainly don't want it.

I have e-mailed the seller to make sure the extra 50p is just a mistake, but if he does want it, do I have the right do complain, or do I have to fork out the extra 50p?

If he reports me to eBay as a non payer and leaves negative feedback it doesn'y exactly leave me in a brilliant position.

Anyway, whatever advice you guys could give me is great,

Thankiesssssssss.... :D

yazooo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 x 2
My Location
EU
If the 50p was only mentioned in an invoice after the auction, and not on the item details, then you have every right to complain, and not pay the 50p. Take a copy of details page before they close, a print screen or something for proof. Your right, it is the principle, and isnurace on a 49p disc is silly, especially as you dont want it. Contact ebay, there must be a rule on this, he has to metion stuff like this when listing the item, he cant spring this on you, imagine if it wasn't 50p but 5 quid...it is taking the piss, or if not simply lazy item listing forgetting to mention it.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Complain to Ebay send copy of mail asking for 50p for PayPal (this is not allowed).

He will be warned by Ebay.

If he leaves negative feedback Ebay will remove it for you - his account will then be suspended if he continues to add insurance or premiums.

This is the latest scam to cut down Ebay charges and they don't support it.

Recent 1GB PSP memory card 'Buy it now' £19.95 - P&P £12.95 (you could send it in a taxi for that!) and then £19.95 'compulsory' insurance!

This is a con - the more people that report PayPal premiums and Insurance the best for everyone using Ebay.

These sellers spoil it for all users - if you don't agree with their rules or charges don't use Ebay!

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
i havent bought anything off e-bay,but i know a couple of people that say its the dogs bollocks.theyve never had to pay any "insurances".sounds like a few bad apples trying to ruin it for the rest.simple solution dont buy off these crooks,find a reputable seller thats not trying to squeeze out a few extra quid for insurances,oxygen tax,wear and tear on the shoes going to the post box tax,etc :-)

TWAG

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
well f.ck me with the rough end of a pineapple,300 posts now. i was wondering the other day what my 300th post would be.i would never have guessed a moan about e-bay.thats what i like about this hobby,always something you never expect :-) happy viewing everybody.

TWAG

ps-its also my 3 year wedding anniversary today.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Hi guys, thanks for all your input,

The 50p has turned out to be a mistake (or so he says), so I have sent a cheque for £1.78.. as a form of goodwill, he will dispatch item as soon as he gets the cheque rather than waiting for it to clear.

All pretty good I say! :-clap

kebabinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500S
80cm dish
.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
i nearly gone done by one of these scams.

ive bought a mp3 player off there (from singapore) no problems.
My sister wanted one so i went back on to bid for one and noticed that the price had come right down. i was just about to bid when i saw the 'postal insurance' was about £40. what a rip off