Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
I am now a seller on ebay for the first time! I understand I am way behind the rest of you but its good to start earning money out of stuff I dont need! Has anyone here heard of Contraembolso, a bidder asked me if i would accept payment via this method. Is it any good? And if any of you want a look at my tat, im selling a PS2 with 2 games and a playboy mug. Search my ebay name... Alexbellisbrown, (Same as here) and have a nosey!;)

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
Hi matey, I've just done a search for that payment method and come up with pratically nothing!
Be very careful!!!!!, new sleazibay members are prime to be scammed!!!!!
NEVER give out your passwords (any of 'em!!) EVER, no matter who they say they are, you should start getting emails by the bucket load, 3bay asking you to confirm you details, just ignore 'em, this may sound like scare mongering but believe me, I have mates who'm I thought were intelligent and the have been sucked in with a scam....
Accept only:
Painpal!
Nochex
Cash
Cheque (wait for it to clear)
Do not accept:
Western union money transfer
A cheque for 100 times the amount! (Dafter than it sounds)
promises!!!
Zero feedback punter can be a pain too.
Don't be afraid to leave negative feedback (they may leave neg feedback too, but you get to comment on that aswell ;) ) and report all knobheads to 3bay (for what it's worth!)
Above all, be honest with your description on the item your selling, otherwise you'll quickly go down the pan! (I now approaching 500 pos feedback, mostly buying, but have sold quite a bit too, everyones happy).

ps, swap you a boiled egg for that playboy mug ;)

rkhsaw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax, dragon, Matrix, 4 dishes
My Location
France
i'm pretty sure "Contraembolso" is COD (cash on delivery) also know as contre-remboursement in french.
So you would have to check with the post office if they offer COD to the country concerned. Problem is that the service is likely to be expensive (for the buyer).
If you have decided on a policy (PayPal only, for example) you should stick to it.
Rule one : never send goods without a guarantee of payment.
Rule two : as above
etc, etc ;)

ray

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
when i first started on ebay, i was duped out of £30 for DVD box set...

the guy would only take postal orders.. and i agreed and sent them off, never to be seen again..or the DVDs :(

i looked the address up, the postcode didnt match the street or area???

i went online to send the user an email, and he had unregistered and also had zero feedback... i learned the hard way.

i was fuming!! £30 isnt a lot of money i know, but just knowing that i had been conned really made my blood boil!!

i was recently looking for a wireless bridge, for my home network. there were some bargains.... but the users either had zero feedback or had anly been a member a few weeks.

unless they have been registered for ages and have loads of good feedback, i wont touch them anymore. no matter how cheap the item is :(

rant over :D

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Also I've heard a lot of sellers forget the true postage costs. Always check postage and add something for packaging etc before quoting.

I have found ebay great for buying and selling but you do have to be careful and use some of the old commonsense.

A short time ago I was after a laptop and after a few enquiries my mail box was full of offers that if I sent western union payment to albania they would send me the computer. oh yer

Good

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
RedDevil_UK said:
when i first started on ebay, i was duped out of £30 for DVD box set...

the guy would only take postal orders.. and i agreed and sent them off, never to be seen again..or the DVDs :(

i looked the address up, the postcode didnt match the street or area???

i went online to send the user an email, and he had unregistered and also had zero feedback... i learned the hard way.

i was fuming!! £30 isnt a lot of money i know, but just knowing that i had been conned really made my blood boil!!

i was recently looking for a wireless bridge, for my home network. there were some bargains.... but the users either had zero feedback or had anly been a member a few weeks.

unless they have been registered for ages and have loads of good feedback, i wont touch them anymore. no matter how cheap the item is :(

rant over :D

A few months back there were some dreambox 7020s going cheap, but being sold by a couple of brand new accounts (both registered the same day) based in China - payment was by Western Union only. Although they were quite obviously fraudulent I was amazed by the number of newbies that bid on them. Ebay eventually pulled the listings, but not until at least one of them had been sold - wonder if the buyer got the message in time?

I myself had problems with a seller once but got my money back via Paypal (the guy had plenty of good feedback tho, so perhaps it just a mistake on his part). However, you cannot be too cautious when buying and selling on ebay.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Thanks guys, i always use paypal, cant do with the hassle of cheques of COD. The PS2 at the moment has broken the reserve via somebody else, so it looks like it´ll be paypal anyway. And about an eggcup for a playboy mug, the answer is no, it would have to be somekind of collectable eggcup for me to trade!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
whatsthis said:
Also I've heard a lot of sellers forget the true postage costs. Always check postage and add something for packaging etc before quoting.

Very good advice.
2kgs is not a great weight when you are sending out a couple of books, or a carburettor, but if the packaging pushes it just a gram above, its another £2 from Royal Mail.

Other charges that should be factored in are the final value fee. which is only charged at the end of the month by eBay. It can be quite a lot more than the listing price.

Oh, and sell cars and motorbikes in the parts and accessories section, avoid the £6 charge in the main auction.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
AlexBellisBrown said:
And about an eggcup for a playboy mug, the answer is no, it would have to be somekind of collectable eggcup for me to trade!

Eggcup!.... I only offered a boiled egg, what do you think I am.... made of money:-rofl2

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
here the one about the bloke struggling to get an Xbox... he been trying all week and people keep outbidding him!!!
well he is going out, and decides to leave bids on 3 Xboxes..... yep youve guessed it, he won all 3 ffs!!!!

oh and by the way that man was me :) this week lol
xbox 1
xbox 2
xbox 3

how funny is that :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale

using my own quote... well what happens when you sell something, and someone with Zero feedback wins the item your selling????

then after beggin you to send the item, because it a birthday present and me waiting for postal order will take to long....
you check and they have unregistered from ebay!!!
check it out
here!!

con artists everywhere!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately they rely on good natured people, something you cannot afford to be when dealing on ebay, polite yes, helpful yes, trusting? No. :)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
probably one of my biggest failings to be honest.

being an honest person, i find it difficult to be hard to people when giving a sob story (i always think they might actually be telling the truth).
im not nieve, thats something else entirely. i guess its they way your brought up.
the wife on the other hand is as hard as nails!!! she just tells people to beat it! and although i agree with her, i just cant do it the way she does.
tele sales, she just says " not interested" then puts the phone down without waiting for a reply lol
same as door to door salesmen :)

thats why i always send her to the door hahah

shes a slim 5 foot 2 and im 6 foot 3 and 17 stone.... i must be a right chicken lol

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yorkshire
RedDevil_UK said:
here the one about the bloke struggling to get an Xbox... he been trying all week and people keep outbidding him!!!
well he is going out, and decides to leave bids on 3 Xboxes..... yep youve guessed it, he won all 3 ffs!!!!

oh and by the way that man was me :) this week lol
xbox 1
xbox 2
xbox 3

how funny is that :D

Jeez, be cheaper to pick No3 up!.....
and No1 says bought at xmas.... but not which one!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Have used ebay for a long time, I have over 300 feedback ratings with 100%

I think ebay changed the rules recently that users with 0 feedback cannot leave negative feedback and under 10 they have to go through a process when they leave any feedback.

What gets me, is that I was selling several items (all the same) they were selling for around a fiver from other users.
I researched it and my listings and picture raise the average price to around £16.

Other user then just copied my text and pictures!! Ebay did nothing, and when I complained to the the other all I received was abuse.

Soon ebay will add a report this listing option on all pages - looks like I'll be busy!

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Well theres little over an hour left on my first ever listing (A PS2), and lo and behold its someone who has zero feedback with a bid of €80. I´ll let you know how it goes on, but I have to be paid FIRST. Via paypal, no silly cheques, thats just hassle.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
SOLD! for 72pounds to a bidder in Spain, hes bought and sold before, which should make it easier. What happens when he makes a payment? Do i have to check paypals website or does ebay send me a message?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Paypal will send you a notification when the buyer has paid, but you can also send him a payment details or reminder Email from your "My Ebay" panel. :)

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Thanks rolf, already sent the payment details, so just waiting for payment now. And thanks to the rest of you for your help. Ebays a big place, you need all the help you can get!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
One thing I noticed about your sale - you offered to send magazines along with the item.

Paper is heavy and this may add additional postage costs - hope you took that into account.

Remember feedback works both ways and a lot of user will not buy from people with low feedback.