Ecchostar V The rest of the world

Wahid

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi there
I really would appreciate the advice from the experienced people out there (all of you propably..)
I am finished with my 3000 ip but worried about buying another Ecchostar specially that it has viaccess which I don't need.. analogue which not alot of people use.. and a mixed reports about compatibility with MM.
In the mean time I don't want to downgrade on the standard. . and find it difficult to get honest advice from salesmen..
Help pleeeeease.

Wahid

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Embedded Viaccess nowadays does not cost much more than a standard receiver with simply a common interface

Depending on the chip set, it can either be 'patched' or not at a later date. You as the consumer can choose to do this or not, so its not an issue

I would however go for the most specified receiver within your allocated budget, and then use it to its maximum in the first year. If it breaks, your covered under the warranty by Echostar. If you are in the UK this is two years by the dealer that supplies it to you

Try not to go mail order if you can help it, as a lot are here one day and gone the next

Wahid

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thank you for replying Channel Hopper.
I take it you mean I should go for ecchostar again.. I am in the UK and have had the 3000 ip since it was created, before which I had the good old pace 1000 for long time.
I don't know if the Manhatten 9900 would be comparable machine (i.e. as good as 3600 ip) or not.
One last thing..What did you mean by having the choice for a patched cam on ecchostar.. I thought this is not possible on va cam?
Wahid

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I believe the Samsung 9500 and maybe the Hyundai equivalent started life as a Viaccess embedded machine only with additional Common Interface

Inside however, the chipset is actually capable of doing a lot more but was programmed by the manufacturer to decrypt only Viaccess channels (like a sponge that has only soaked up a bit of liquid)

Knowing the popularity and therefore increased sales that would result, a version of firmware was released (most probably by a backdoor engineer) allowing the reciever to do a lot more than it was really intended.Very much like the story of the Humax 5400, originally Irdeto only but when patched can do almost everything one might desire

Once these 'patches' are released its rather difficult for the manufacturer to put all the worms back into the can, which is why Humax (and Samsung - correct me if wrong) were told by France Telecom to get stuffed wrt their Viaccess licence

The 3000 VIP is one from the old school with a true Viaccess chip only and so cannot be patched, however many newer machines use the upgradeable sponge type chip as the potential for one factory to make alternative models using the same board is clearly attractive (cheaper production run), just requires a different firmware to be installed before boxing in the factory

Wahid

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks C H
I am still in the same problem though.. will I get the Eccho 3600 or for nearly the same money get the new Manhatten with a bonus HDD and either a patched cam or in the next week modele starlight 9900 MM incorporated?
I forgot to tell you.. I already have MM but that is no problem as I can get rid of it easily if I am buying receiver with patch or MM..
Thanks

Wahid

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sorry Im not familar with either of the machines you have named

Maybe somebody else can advise from personal experience

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
The Manhattan 6800 has a embedded Irdeto 2 CAM which works as an all cam as standard. I do not use MM but use season interface and can decrypt Seca, Viaccess, Nagra and Irdeto. I have not had to mess with the receiver at all to be able to do this.

With Disceqc 1.2 and 5000 channel memory I think it is a good receiver and have had no probs with it(2 year guarantee as well).

Should imagine fun 6 in 1 cards will work well too.

Sorry cant help with MM but am just trying to recommend the receiver you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Malling :D

Wahid

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thank you Malling for the advice
All the talks about the Manhatten was related to problems with the software, which made me think about the echostar, despite the Manhatten being alot of a recceiver for the money.. which I take it that you have no bad experience with it.
I was also told that the 9800 model is exactly the same but with hard disk added.
What do you mean by season interface? Is it still using the patched cam on the Manhatten?

Wahid

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
Sorry for late reply, been doing my bike test training today.

A season interface is a wafer type card that fits in the smart card slot on my receiver a bit like a fun card, but instead of programming the interface with the provider keys to decrypt the channels(like you would a fun card), it is controlled directly by my PC via a serial lead running an emulator called Wallbanger.

The receiver is how I bought it from the shop I have not had to patch it. I believe that all the Manhattan 6800 range work as an allcam as standard.

If you search the forums and try searching for season interface and wallbanger it may help you a little more.

Malling. :cool:

Wahid

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks malling
I think I will place an order for the 9800 and then try the patched cam as it is, as you said, and if it does not work, at least I know that I have MM that works.
Thank you everybody for the help. I will soon write to you my version of comparing the Echostar with the Manhatten.

Wahid