Echostar 2600 acting up

S

SSS

Hi
done two factory resets recently aftercomplete signal loss .also shows some confusion on astra 2 ,shows correct channels with good signal strength no picture,but the dish doesnt actually move to astra2 but stays onastra 1.
While trying toset up hispasat ,further prob. dish went past limit & hitwall bending motor mountings without meknowing,more damage to polar mount when itryed to drive back east.
Is it a software prob,or more serious

Before mount damage i attempted OTA download but not possible due to already having latest software.
any
comments and/or advice will be greatly appreciated

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If its a polar mount then the chances are high that its got a linear actuator driven by a standard 36 volt output. These actuators have safety limit switches which MUST be set to prevent damage to the outside equipment

If these limits were set correctly the only other faults to cause the damage are slippage within the gear mechanism / slipping of the actuator in the rear clamp on the mast, which indicates faulty supply/installation.

Do you have a written receipt from the fitter/ shop that supplied the motor ?

S

SSS

Hi
you are 100% right re limit switches on actuator.I am the guilty party but Ive learnt my lesson the hard way.Its going tocost me to replace mangled mount.I relied on E-W limits as set up on Echonav but as i said my box is(maybe) acting up.
I need to sort it before putting it back into service

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I am not familiar with Echonav, but if its anything like the standard autotrack system of the 3000 then it can move outside the predetermined electronic limits if you confirm there is a satellite it can watch

A machine that is notorious for damaging dish equipment this way include the Strong 4375. Mechanical limits cannot be overridden unless they are adjusted manually

S

SSS

Hi
thanks for sharing your thoughts CH.My friendly sat.man has removed and replaced my possibly corrupt software.I`ve straightened out my mount,SET MY MOTOR LIMITS,forapprox 90deg. movement,tested it on kitchen table with 12v.OK.Hope to be back on by w/end

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Let us know if it all comes out OK

If your sat man is really friendly, maybe he can help oversee the dish when you first connect the receiver

S

SSS

Hi got my dish working again.Software OK at moment but no 36v output.can move dish with seperate power supply for short term.do ineed anew power supply board.where from? or is there a quick fix? ihave managed to repair a digi box power supply before so if i could get the info ,then maybe.would be grateful for help

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Can you turn the external positioner voltage from the menus ?

im not familiar with the 2600 but some other receivers switch between DiSEqC and four wire positioning sytem in the main install menu

S

SSS

No mention of volts in menusno diseqe just 36v.When attempting moveW.nothing happens.when attempting move E.click from box and "MOTOOR FAULT"displayed,even with motor disconnected.Still able to move dish wirth seperate 12v.power supply but it takes time.
PS I realise this thread has drifted maybe alittle outside the scope of this forum.do i need to move it elswhere?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Sounds like you may have the two motor wires crossed over, the receiver will not move further East withthe minimum motor limit operating

Swop over the main two wires

If no joy, then try to factory reset the receiver

S

SSS

Same result when motor wire s X over.From searching old threads it looks like ineed a new power supply board.thanks for your interest.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
On The Echostar 2600 there are several fuse links built into the PCBA layout
Normally you can see when they have been blown.

Additionally there is a resistor approx 1 watt that overheats and causes the problems that you identify- the resistor is not normally damaged but the heat results in a dry joint condition.
There are also several problems on the counting circuit that may occur, primarly, they all result in your recent problems. Firstly check the actual clip connectors soldering to the PCBA as here they always fail after a few connections, and resolder them all if you are able to.

The circuit is not so complex and a majority of local TV repair shops should be able to help i would suggest for a few quid.

Regards

Old Satellite

S

SSS

done some poking about on psu board .put it all back together.HEY PRESTO! its working again.well chuffed i certainly am .im leaving it asit is for the moment,but if it goes again i`ll be round those joints,especially the areas you mentioned.thankyou both for your interest.still have aproblem ,MM an merlin cam affecting each other,but i think that belongs in another forum.