amdaley28

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hello Everybody.
Some serious advice please.
I have at present an Echostar 7000HDD with which I am pleased.
I want to get another receiver for the den upstairs.I have seen the Echostar 7000HDD for sale at £399 which is the cheapest I have ever seen it.
What do you think ?
Could I get a better receiver,which would be better than the Echostar ?
I need something which can do everything including make the tea.
Thanks.
Regards.
amdaley28:)

T24

Info Exec
Reaction score
Samsung DSR 9500 VIACI (patched)+ Magic module.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Here we go again....

there really is no "best" receiver. It depends entirely on your actual requirements.

With the greatest of respect to T24, the Sammy is not comparable to the Echostar 7000. The Echostar has a whole bunch of features that most other receivers (including the Sammy) simply lack. These include: proper motor control (as opposed to DiSEqC), analogue reception, built-in hard-disk for recording off-air, but also in the Echostar's case for storing and playback of MP3s and photographs; magnetic and motororised polarisor control; external decoder connector (eg for D2MAC); etc.
But then, the Echostar doesn't have everything (it has no multicas facility, for example) and it is relatively expensive.

Define your requirments, THEN make your choice.

2old

amdaley28

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hello.
I have an Echostar 7000HDD in my tv room.I like it alot but I am looking for something different for the den upstairs.I will need
36volt positioner,Analogue,Digital & CI.
A hard dish is not needed as i will be running it with a PC & various other receivers for feed hunting etc.
I have decided between an Echostar 3600ipva or a Tehnomate 5000/5500 dapci.Considering my needs I think I will be hard pushed to find something better that one of the above.
Regards.
amdaley28

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Under the circumstances, unless you have a TV link system, I would go for the Echostar simply for the purpose of doubling up the remote controls. You could then store one away.

If a link is fitted then theres a chance the remotre signals will change channels on the wrong receiver

amdaley28

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hello Channel Hopper.
That brings me to my next question.Is there a way to use 2 receivers to control the one dish .
1 of the receivers will always be OFF.
I have a 1.2 mt dish with 36volt actuator motor,Invacom twin output universal lnb so I can run a 2nd cable from the dish to the den upstairs.
Regards.
amdaley28

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Simple answer is no , there used to be with Drake with a priority and slave system where the recivers used to talk to a controller, but those days are LONG gone (1990 ish)

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Channel Hopper said:
Simple answer is no , there used to be with Drake with a priority and slave system where the recivers used to talk to a controller, but those days are LONG gone (1990 ish)

I used to have that Drake receiver, it was great having the controlling unit for the actuator at the dish and the receiver in the home, only needing one cable between the dish and receiver.

However i never liked Drake's menus and the picture was a bit NTSC overall, anyway it had a low threshold making it perfect for weak signals, too bad i sold it.