Echostar AD-3000ip Picture problems.

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
Hi ive just purchased this receiver & connected it to my motorised dish & i cant get a picture in analogue mode & in
digital the channels take upto fifteen seconds to appear,signal
strength is between 75 & 80% & the receiver is running on software version 300 the shop says to bring it back for a software update any ideas people.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Have you actually got the analogue section activated?
- short section of co-ax cable from digital-out to analogue-in
- "loopthrough for analogue"=ON in the LNB menu
...?
Software upgrade will not help. I am unaware of any software-related bugs in this area. If your dealer suggests that then s/he is grasping at straws.

2old

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
yes ive got the cable connected & analogue is switched on,in program satellites in analogue mode i get a signal strength of 83% is this enough?,why do the digital channels take so long to load. do you think ive got a faulty receiver,thanks for your help 2old.

ps i dont need a videocrypt decoder do i for cnn / skynews ect.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Signal strength is not the crucial factor. Signal quality is. What is your signal quality on the tranponders you are trying to receive?

For a watchable picture on the ad3000ip a minimum of 30-35% quality is needed.

Even if the quality is fairly high the signal may be difficult to lock if you have not got the symbol-rate accurately specified. EG if it is 22000 and you have 21800 in the settings.

A poor LNB may also be problematic - or a grossly misaligned polarizor (or an LNB which is rotated) - anything which makes the signal difficult to lock.

You don't say from which satellite & provider you are trying to receive CNN & Sky-News. Some are encrypted. But there are FTA versions on the Astra1 & Astra2 clusters - no decoder required.

2old

claytonstarbar

Reaction score
Hi the unit was faulty & the shop has exchanged it for one with
viaccess at no extra cost so thanks to Heathrow systems.

you mentioned symbol rates do i need to adjust it for each channel & how do i know what rate to use.

Thanks for your help 2old.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Symbol-rate is just one of several parameters you need to set to receive a digital satellte transmission. Others include frequency, polarisation and forward-error-correction (FEC). Also, depending on the information transmitted in the MPEG-stream, it may be necesasary to manually set PIDs (Audio-PID, Video-PID, PCR-PID).

The Echostar receiver comes with a pre-programmed database of such settings, but this is just a snapshot. By the time the thing has left the factory, dozens of channels across the 50+ sats visible in this part of the world will have changed (new channels, changed settings, channels disappeared or moved to other sats, etc...)

If you want to keep up to date on such changes, you should subscribe to one of the regular newsletters (eg Stefan Hagendorn's - see http://www.sat-hagedorn.de/transpon2.htm ) or else check one of the many sites where such changes are logged. EG http://www.corbina.ru/~versia23/ALLSAT/TrNews/TrNewsEN.htm

Complete tranponder listings are also available and kept reasonably up to date at various sites such as Lyngsat & Satcodx (see our links section).

2old