Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3000Ip Viaccess, Fibo 90cm Motorised Dish,
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Hi there

I had a problem using my DVD recorder with the Echo. Each time I used the DVD , it turned on the Echo. Panasonic confirmed that the Pin 8 on the scart from DVD to be cut. The Echo was in standby and the scart from the Echo to the DVD was disconnected at the DVD side and I then very carefully cut The wire on Pin 8 but must have touched Pin 6, the result is audio, left channel no longer is working . Done checks on scart lead etc and tried using audio out phono connections - same problem. I now have PCB out to check. Already checked CE617 & R603 which look alright but I don't have a ESR meter. It is difficult to follow circuit. Is there anybody able to suggest what the problem could be? Everything else works fine. I would like a copy of the circuit diagram and parts list if possible.

Thanks
Dave

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
That's the audio in circuit from pin 6. You want pin 3 (remember the scart lead crosses over pin 6 and pin 3.)

Pin 3 goes to the audio/video switch CXA2078Q via R629/CE728 to switch pin 30 (left audio out).

May be easier to check the output audio of the switch using an amplifier (a PC speaker's amp with suitable probe on the leads to check the switch's IC pins).

Switch Pin 30 - left audio out to VCR scart via CE628/R629.

Switch Pin 49 - left audio out to TV scart via R626/CE 625.

Llew

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Thanks for all your help. I think your advice that the CXA2078Q may be faulty seems to be the problem. I am busy trying to source a replacement, if available, and worth it - tried Dial Electronics. In need, are you able to suggest another source as my 2 enqiries have not been succesful so far.

Dave

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Can't find a supplier other than bulk ordering companies.

Don't write off the chip yet - have you tried playing a DVD through the Echostar? This will confirm whether the audio input is present from pin 6 (left hand audio) of the VCR scart to the CXA2078Q pin 17 (left hand audio in, through the switch to the TV Scart). Of course you will need a TV equipped with stereo to check the left hand output).

This will confirm whether the Echostar's encoder left hand audio output to pin 1 of the switch is absent.

See page 20 of the PDF uploaded.

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Thanks for coming back again.

Could explain what is the best way to check the audio using dvd thru the SAT. Do I need the leave it connected as usual, i e the scart connections?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, that's with your DVD player set to play and a TV plugged to the TV scart.

But don't use you old scart lead with pin 8 dis O-no

Llew

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Afraid to say that the audio is still absent from left side. I am continuing to look for a replacement IC CXA2078Q, also looking to pick up a faulty receiver as this is a great receiver which otherwise works well. Thanks again for all your help, Llew.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shame that Dave. Run out of ideas for now - yes, a great box, use it all the time for spinning the dish.

Hope you can find another one, they do appear occasionally on fleabay.

Llew

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
davjen said:
Afraid to say that the audio is still absent from left side. I am continuing to look for a replacement IC CXA2078Q, also looking to pick up a faulty receiver as this is a great receiver which otherwise works well. Thanks again for all your help, Llew.

Well that part is listed on here and strangely enough the seller is in the USA:-doh!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I think that it will be quite difficult to find a replacement for the Sony CXA2078Q part in the USA.
You will have better chance looking for it in Japan.
I suggest that you would contact the manufacturer of the box (Echostar) or his authorized distributor in the US and ask if they can supply you the part.
I will keep an eye on this part and if I find it, I will post again.

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Thanks guys,

I'll take you up on your tips. Realised after that I need to update my profile and now corrected my location.

Dave

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Found some stock from AERI.
_http://www.aeri.com/search.asp
Type CXA2078Q in the search box.
They have few thousands showing up in the search results.
Not sure if they actually stock the parts. My guess is that they are a "linker".
If you are sure that this part is dead, try filling out the form, get a quotation and let us know if they are reliable.
Good luck. :)

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Hi HB13 DISH

Took your advice & contacted AERI. They came back with a price of $225, which was min. order of 50 of IC, plus delivery. I think I will have to give that a miss. Thanks anyway. Hopefully something will come up.

Dave

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
davjen said:
Hi HB13 DISH

Took your advice & contacted AERI. They came back with a price of $225, which was min. order of 50 of IC, plus delivery. I think I will have to give that a miss. Thanks anyway. Hopefully something will come up.

Dave

Sorry to hear that they have such an expensive min. order.
Will try again when I have some time.
In the meantime, try to contact the local distributor and ask if they can supply you with this part from their service locations.
You can mention that you expect a good after sale service and that their cooperation would be noted by other users of their receivers and potential future customers.

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Still trying to make contact with the official UK agent and also looking at internet auction sites. Should anything come up I will let you know.

Thanks for the help.

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Pleased to report that I have at last found a source for the part - the manufacturer's part centre. This info was due to receiver's agent's assistance. I now await its receipt and in the meanwhile would appreciate some helpful hints on removal of old IC and installation of new one. I have had quite a lot of experience in general soldering on PCB,s and assembly, but little with SMD's.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
davjen said:
Pleased to report that I have at last found a source for the part - the manufacturer's part centre. This info was due to receiver's agent's assistance. I now await its receipt and in the meanwhile would appreciate some helpful hints on removal of old IC and installation of new one. I have had quite a lot of experience in general soldering on PCB,s and assembly, but little with SMD's.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave

I was wondering about this actually, how you are going to assemble it if you ever manage to buy a replacement.
The IC has delicate pins and packaged in 64 pins QFP with 1.0mm pitch size.
You must leave the removal and the assembly to a professional with lots of experience.
If you try it yourself, you will loose both the original and the new one.
There is also a remote possibility that after all it is NOT this IC that is causing the problem, so unless you are 100% sure, I wouldn't touch it.
Good luck. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
As HB says, certainly not a DIY job. Have a word with Michael Dranfield at _www.digifixltd.co.uk/

He does mostly digiboxes, but worth a try.

Llew

davjen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Invacom C120 LNB,
T/Rex.
My Location
Devon
Took your advice and have today received a reply from Michael Danfield. Have also in the meanwhile received the replacement IC. Will you let you know how things progress.