ECM question

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I was watching a film on Canal + Bleue last night. Half way through the film the picture started locking/freezing for a second or two about every 30 seconds or so, sometimes channel not entitled came up. Now I’m guessing that an ECM caused this from the provider? What’s strange is that when I checked my skystar 2 card using progdvb, with the second feed from the same lnb, on the same dish the picture was perfect, no hiccups. The only difference being the sound was about two seconds behind the receivers.

Why would ProgDVB not be affected and my Samsung 9500 using 6in1 on a purple suffer so badly?
:confused

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It could be almost anything

You have a lot of equipment working together in order to receive the picture and sound perfectly. Any interruption, parameter change could cause a momentary loss of packet data, resulting in the picture breakup

It could even be internal problems, static build up in the receiver, card, heat etc

Or something as simple as a loose F plug or a spider walking across the feedhorn

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
CH,

How recognisable are ECM's and are they that common place on certain channels?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You do ask the impossibe

One would have to have the right equipment to 'see' what is within the data stream and to assess whether the fluctuation in picture is due to additional messages from the provider.

Ive heard that the WallBanger system is particularly good at recognising whats coming in to the receiver via the cable and what is clased as legit information

The there are loggers but I have no info on these

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Wallbanger then,

At least it's a start.

I remember a horrible cocktail of the same name. Orange juice no less, In a drink. How bad.

-----------------------------------------------------

4/10 for effort..keep trying.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If I ve eaten something that I disagrees with me, a litre of orange juice is the fastest way of getting it out of my system, guaranteed to clean in about an hour.