Electric Vehicle (not mobility type or scooter)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Im hoping one or more of our clan on the site can give answers on the following

It may help if you are
1) A policeman
2) Government policy maker
3) OAP (GMBP ?)
4) One of those Eco friendly people

Ive bought one of these scooters

http://www.evthai.com/live/products_lynx.html#

from a company that no longer exists in Holland, with a view to using it for short trips to the train station (our village has one bus every hour if lucky)

The vehicle confirms to every law I can see governing pedal assist bicycles with the exception that it has no pedals, and the dry weight of 30kgs is more than a heavy pushbike.

It has a limiter, restricting the top speed to 25kmh and both brakes are independently controlled, with the motor being forcibly disconnected whenever the brakes are applied. I believe the power output is 200W but I do now know if the restriction has reduced this by any amount. It has full lights, speedo and a charging unit built in under the seat. One charge allows the scooter to run up to about 50 kms (about 30kms if the lights are on)

Q) From the legislation I can see on electric vehicles, this confirms in exactly the same way as one of the Sinclair C5 machines, witht he exception it has no pedals, and so I believe it should be allowed on the road without V5 registration, license plate, road tax or road insurance (it is covered under house insurance very much like a pushbike) . Our local bobby is similarly convinced it is similar to a mobility vehicle for the older generation in that the slow speed and braking system makes it compliant with exemption. I would naturally use a crash helmet when using it, and only use it on the road rather than the pavement.

Our local city police force however believe that since it is a 'mechanically propelled vehicle' it must be registered for use on the road, have plates, and any user must be insured and have a full motorcycle license (as the vehicle has no engine capacity, it cannot be classed simply as a moped or less than 125cc) . It also has seating for two people, and so L plates or a provisional license holder could not use it when carrying another person.

My insurance company that deals with road vehicles cannot class it under any category of theirs as there is no engine to speak of.

In mainland Europe the rules governing electrical vehicles seem to be met by the specifications, but how they are considered for roaduse is unknown to me.

Who is right ?

If I have to get it registered, the costs and complexity of licensing/insuring make the original idea of using it as a cheap and ecological method of transport (charge the battery overnight every five days) for short journeys redundant.

G

GotMyBusPass

Dear Channel Hopper.

Males in the UK are now, since last year, allowed a free/cheap travel bus pass at age 60. It also appears that members on "the other forum" are more interested in your "mobility" problem than on this board:D :D :D
GMBP:)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont I know it

Ill post a few links later

DVLA werent much help either (as expected)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont I know it

Ill post a few links later

DVLA werent much help either (as expected)