elevation/declination

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
so finally, got all the kit including a compass and a sat meter.
taking the ladder out in the morning, and before anyone mention it, yes VERTICAL pole is my goal of the day. if it goes ok, might try to put the dish up as well.

Looking at _http://www.satellite-calculations.com/ for my long-lat there are too many numbers! My location is Lat: 53.55 Lon: -2.08

Can somebody calculate the figures I need for Thor(1w?), Hispasat and Astra19.2. ? I want to compare the figures with my own calculation to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

For THOR, roughly what should I set the motor elevation to, is it 53.5? and the setting on the dish? I realise these numbers are not enough and I will have to nudge it about a bit for better signal..

another question, where Can i get a working e129.sat file from? I can only see astra on my receiver, I tried to add other sats manually without success, also it will save time if i have to reset everything for any reason.

as always, many thanks in advance
regards
rai

ps: will keep you posted with my progression (or lack of it)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Download this http://www.smw.se/smwlink/smwlink.htm gives you every bit of information you need. :)

If your motor has a lattitude scale then yse your lattitude should be set on the motor body, there will normally be a calculation table in the manual for the motor to work out the declination setting.

Which receiver are you using, don't recognize e129.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
For Thor 1 deg West

Lat 53.55 Lon -2.08

Dish azimuth (deg E relative to true North) 176.17
Dish azimuth (deg E relative to magnetic North) 180.87

Dish elevation 28.81 deg
Slant range (km) 38722.1
Polarisation tilt -2.27 deg

Polar mount main axis angle 54.22 deg
Polar mount dish offset tilt 6.95 deg

h**p://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

Explained on site above - you can use this to calculate the other Satellite figures.

Sorry rolfw - must type quicker...

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020Si+40GB, DiSEqC H-H DarkMotor, Gibertini 1m, Inverto Black Ultra LNB - 42E to 30W.
My Location
Manchester
Just straightened the pole to the best of my ability. the rest will have to wait till next weekend.

Thanks for the links guys, downloaded the smwlink3.0 it looks lot simpler.
rolf, my receiver is the lidl cheapie and motor is SG2100.

rai

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, so probably the Comag, I believe that there is update software available, probably mentioned inthe digital systems section, or the Receiver Software section.

rossy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox f3 spiderbox died hd9000 technomate 1500ci+, skystar2,1.1m dish .3db bluline lnb,Sky,
Span 58W to 42e with trees bare! 42e gone and now 39e
My Location
southern england, Berkshire
gameboy said:
For Thor 1 deg West

Lat 53.55 Lon -2.08

Dish azimuth (deg E relative to true North) 176.17
Dish azimuth (deg E relative to magnetic North) 180.87

Dish elevation 28.81 deg
Slant range (km) 38722.1
Polarisation tilt -2.27 deg

Polar mount main axis angle 54.22 deg
Polar mount dish offset tilt 6.95 deg

h**p://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

Explained on site above - you can use this to calculate the other Satellite figures.

Sorry rolfw - must type quicker...

Can anyone give me the elevation/declination etc for Plymouth England. I am confused here trying to setup 1.0w can get signal but not sure what elevation we should be using. Many thanks
Rossy

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
You are here....

Name County Latitude Longitude Elevation
Plymouth Devon 50.388 -4.146 48 m

Use the link that rolfw provided download the S/W and see if that helps.
Go on have a go....:)

L

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
These are the only two links you need for this:

cccp://www.mapporama.com/share/

cccp://satlex.de/en/azel_calc-first_1.html

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I disagree steffan, why go to a website, when you can have the calculator on your PC?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
I suppose you mean the SMW-link?!?
Have never tried it but I will if you say it's good!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I swear by it steffan:)

I swear at everything else. :D

RaiUn0

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Hi all,
Mesa back with a long story..

Today I took the dish outside when the wind was low with a bit of sun(but dark cloud on the horizon) and waved roughly at Thor and I received Signal 100% : Quality 100% when the sat meter was bleeping. but this wasnt mounted to a pole as I was just testing the signal while on the ground. I already had the dish set to following:
My location is Lat 53.55 Lon: -2.08
so I set the motor to 53.5 latitude.
Because the smwlink calculator dont accept decimal figures, I entered latitude = 54, longitude = -2, and satellite position = -1. I set the dish declination agnle to 28.3 deg.

when I was just getting ready to mount everything to the pole it started raining! I ran indoor and about an hour later when the rain had stopped I tried pointing the dish at Thor again. This time though, with the sat meter on the bleep, I got signal up tp 80% but 000% on the signal quality. dont know what to do from here..and it was getting dark so i left again till next weekend.

But indoor, I was experimenting with the motor, I noticed that if the sat meter is between the motor and the receiver then diseqc commands from receiver dont work.
where is the best place to put the sat meter? LNB-METER-MOTOR? MOTOR-METER-RECEIVER?

One more thing, When I select hispasat and 'goto stored position'(option in my comagfta2ci receiver) the motor(sg2100) always goes about 10degree east from 0. I tried resetting the receiver & motor to factory default but no change for hispa. :-/

dissapointing weekend, cant imagine what monday morning at work will be like
-rai