Emlyn Hughes dies aged 57

N

net1

Former Liverpool and England football captain Emlyn Hughes, who went on to enjoy a successful broadcasting career and was a team captain on BBC1's A Question of Sport, has died of cancer aged 57.

Hughes, who underwent surgery for a brain tumour in August last year, died at his family home in Sheffield this morning, his wife Barbara said.

When he came to the end of his football career in the late 70s, Hughes branched out successfully into broadcasting, joining BBC1's A Question of Sport as a team captain in 1979, forming an on-screen partnership with the show's host, David Coleman, and the other team captain, Gareth Edwards.

Hughes left the show in 1981 but returned in 1984 for another four-year stint, this time with rival captain Bill Beaumont as a sparring partner.

Beaumont, the former England rugby union captain, told ITV News that Hughes was a family man who was passionate about his football and his country.

"He was just such a lovely and enthusiastic bloke and a good friend of mine, " he said.

"He was a team player, he liked the dressing room humour - that mickey-taking - and he was trying to laugh at himself as well."

Brian Barwick, the controller of ITV Sport, said: "Emlyn was a great footballer and a terrific enthusiast with an infectious personality. He led both Liverpool and England with great pride and passion and became an equally successful TV presenter. My thoughts are with his family and friends."

After leaving A Question of Sport Hughes became a team captain on the short-lived ITV show Sporting Triangles in the late 80s.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Bob Paisley once said about him in an interview.

“ His pace can be very deceptive …..He’s not as fast as he looks”