Encryptions!!

C

chicko1978

Hi I'm new to satellite Tv, and I would like some info!!!

Ok in Europe we have these encryptions :
Mediaguard, Videoguard, Conax, Cryptoworks, Irdeto,
Nagravision and Powervu.

Ok what I know is that Videoguard is the only one not hacked yet, true??

About Mediaguard and Irdeto they are the most hacked?

How about the others??

Can pls someone make it more clear to me which ones can be hacked in an ease way and which not

Thank You??

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The ones you mention are all digital systems. There are also of course a range of analogue formats/encryptions in use:
They include D2MAC/Eurocrypt, PAL/videocrypt-I & II, PAL & SECAM/Syster (= analogue nagravision) - all hacked and in the public domain (though VC=II is not available as a card hack, only as a PC emulation).

Comments on the digital ones you mention:

Nagravision - hacked & public but difficult due partly to marriage of CAM/decoder and card;

Videoguard European system - nowhere near being hacked - also card/decoder marriage difficulties here. Note that the South-American Videoguard system IS hacked.

Cryptoworks - rumours... but no public domain hack yet

Conax - commercial hack for more than a year; no public domain hack yet, but rumours abound since about 6 months ago.

Mediaguard - very heavily hacked & public for some 18 months already

Irdeto v1 - commercial hack since about 3 years ago; public hack since about 2.5 years ago. And note that Irdeto itself is now in two versions. Irdeto v1 is hacked, but Irdeto v2 not yet (but reportedly is close)

Powervu - is primarily not an encryption system, but a different compression technology - like MPEG. Powervu-compressed signals can be encrypted or FTA though, and the encryption system used is not hacked.

Add to the list the following:

Betacrypt & M-crypt (variants of Irdeto) - hacked & public

Viaccess - hacked and in the public domain since February this year

A few non-hacked non-mainstream systems used eg by regional cable companies
EG: NTL (UK cable tv), Digicipher (Spain), ADR (Astra Digital Radio carried on PAL analogue transmissions for mainly German radio stations), and a bespoke Digital format used by certain Dutch radio stations)

2old

C

chicko1978

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 26-Aug-01 AT 00:44 AM (GMT)[/font][p]Thankx my friend it's like begin at school!!

No I'm joking but thanks you made everything more clear!!!

Now from Europe I can get digital packages from other countries apart from Europe let say DirectTv in USA can I see it by a normal sat.system from europe?

If I am let say in southern Italy I'm able to get all European digital packages???

Now if I buy a sat. system and want let say a package with Seca and another one with viaccess I need 2 decoders?? And with one sat.dish I will work??

Sorry if I'm still green but I'm just new in this subject??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
DirectTV is not receivable from any part of Europe (the sats are too far west and/or the beams are not directed to Europe).
Some US stuff is receivable across here though, but the "raw" stuff (ie the stuff not explicitly intended for Europe) uses the NTSC transmission standard - so you need a sat receiver & TV capable of processing NTSC signals.
Same principle applies to the reception of French SECAM transmissions.

You need to do some basic research on satellite reception I think. The satellites lie directly above the equator at a precise distance from the Earth such that they are "geostationary". I.E. they complete one orbit in exactly one Earth day. That means they appear from the ground to hang stationary at a fixed location in the sky. Handy, otherwise your dish would need to constantly move to follow them...
The circle in which they appear to lie is referred to as the Clarke Belt. From any given location on the Earth, one can only see a part of the belt. The rest is below the horizon. And the further you are away from the equator, the greater the proportion of the Clarke belt that will appear below your horizon.

So you see, there are already limits on which sats you can see.

Then there's the question of the signal beams - most sats transmit their channels on various different beams, each typically directed at a particular part of the Earth's surface, targeting a specific region/audience. This is particularly true of the Ku-band signals used in Europe. So even when the sat you want is clearly visible from your location, it may be that the channels you want are carried on beams directed somewhere else.

The site http://www.lyngsat.com is very useful for seeing which sats there are, which channels they carry (and how they are encrypted) and the "foorprints" of the beams carrying those channels.

Yes, if you want to watch Mediaguard AND Viaccess channels you need in principle a Mediaguard AND a Viaccess decoder. But those decoders can take different forms. They can be built-into (embedded in) the receivers, or they can be loose, interchangable "common interface" modules that fit into any common-interface (CI) receiver. Here too, though, you will benefit from a good deal of reaearch - there are too many variations and provisos to list here. Some receivers with embedded decoders are only available from the satellite-package providers. Others are provider-independent. Some are only available in specific countries. Etc etc.

Note that with the latest hacks, it is now possible to reprogram a few specific receivers/modules in such a way that they can effectively decrypt multiple systems. For example, a Humax5400 with a suitably patched embedded Irdeto CAM and the right kind of hobby smartcard can decrypt not only Irdeto but also Viaccess and Mediaguard - without the need to buy separate modules. Similarly (with a few restrictions) the early series of Irdeto CI CAMs can be reprogrammed to do that too. And then there are the various PC-based emulators that can emulate one or more encyption systems using something called a Season interface to the card slot of your receiver.

There are many roads to Rome...

Have a good look though this board (there's a good search function) - you will find that most questions you can dream up from here will already have been answered.

2old

C

chicko1978

Hi my friends can someone tell me what is the difference between
PAL and MPEG I know that are two different types of transmissions but they can be both received with a normal receiver??

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
PAL is an analogue transmission format.
MPEG is a compression technique used for most (but not all) digital TV transmissions (similar to the mpegs/mpgs you have on your PC...)
Yes, they can both be processed by a single receiver but it needs to be one with both analogue and digital capability (such as the Echostar ad3000).

2old

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In addition of course an MPEG digital receiver for the UK and some other European markets may have an anlogue RF output in PAL I or G.

Rolf

america

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
coolsat windos
My Location
north america
2old4this said:
The ones you mention are all digital systems. There are also of course a range of analogue formats/encryptions in use:
They include D2MAC/Eurocrypt, PAL/videocrypt-I & II, PAL & S*caM/Syster (= analogue nagravision) - all hacked and in the public domain (though VC=II is not available as a card hack, only as a PC emulation).

Comments on the digital ones you mention:

Nagravision - hacked & public but difficult due partly to marriage of CAM/decoder and card;

Videoguard European system - nowhere near being hacked - also card/decoder marriage difficulties here. Note that the South-American Videoguard system IS hacked.

Cryptoworks - rumours... but no public domain hack yet

Conax - commercial hack for more than a year; no public domain hack yet, but rumours abound since about 6 months ago.

Mediaguard - very heavily hacked & public for some 18 months already

Irdeto v1 - commercial hack since about 3 years ago; public hack since about 2.5 years ago. And note that Irdeto itself is now in two versions. Irdeto v1 is hacked, but Irdeto v2 not yet (but reportedly is close)

Powervu - is primarily not an encryption system, but a different compression technology - like MPEG. Powervu-compressed signals can be encrypted or FTA though, and the encryption system used is not hacked.

Add to the list the following:

Betacrypt & M-crypt (variants of Irdeto) - hacked & public

Viaccess - hacked and in the public domain since February this year

A few non-hacked non-mainstream systems used eg by regional cable companies
EG: NTL (UK cable tv), Digicipher (Spain), ADR (Astra Digital Radio carried on PAL analogue transmissions for mainly German radio stations), and a bespoke Digital format used by certain Dutch radio stations)

2old

hi 2old4this, here u said that in south america videoguard is hacked where can iget more info regarding this i would like to see some chanels that are in videoguard

thanksfor your help

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Think you have to take a little look at the date of the last post in this thread before yours ;)

Welcome to the forum :D

L.:)

shaggyy10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard
My Location
Australia
Hello 2old4this!!

How do you know so much about this stuff, i read a few posts of yours, and i have to say......
U my hero heheheh.

I have one question for you my friend, would you explain to me as techical(also detail) as u can how marriage of CAM/decoder and card works???

Offcourse i am talking in relation to irdeto2

Thanx!!
shaggyy10

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
shaggyy10

If you look at Lancelot's posting above you'll see that this is a very old posting. 2old4this hasn't posted since 2003 (or at least under that name) so your request may go unanswered by him.

PaulR

shaggyy10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard
My Location
Australia
PaulR said:
shaggyy10

If you look at Lancelot's posting above you'll see that this is a very old posting. 2old4this hasn't posted since 2003 (or at least under that name) so your request may go unanswered by him.

PaulR

Yes I have noticed that after i posted the messeage hehehehehe . Well anyone who knows the answer for my question please share it wit heveryone please

Thanx

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I suspect the answer, even if anyone here knows for sure, would be too long and complicated for a simple reply.

Hope someone proves me wrong though.

boot_sectorz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky X2, Beausat 2004 FTA Plus, Echostar LT-730, twinhan Vision Plus DVB Card. 90cm Nokia Dish, 1.8m Also Manhattan 9650 Analogue
My Location
Earth......... I hope!
I know this is old. Bt can some produce a newer versions of what is hacked and not? Would love to know.

salamander

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NSS 7, PanamSat 7/10
My Location
Accra, Ghana, West Africa
"Mediaguard - very heavily hacked & public for some 18 months already"

As posted above in the previous thread, can any one tell me which is the best receiver or program to use to unscramble mediaguard on NSS 7 @ 22 Deg W?

ViReN

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Box-»SrarTrack
World in Box(S170EC)
Soft-»(STM_A6690)
Sat's-»13.0E,26.0E,95.0E,105.5E
My Location
_Ξ-Middle East-Ξ_ -»Oman
great Info, Subscribed.

this thread should be a stickey and often updated (the answer post)