end of Gemini?

sapekman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ku fta receiver
My Location
91.5 beam
is it the end of Gemini?...
first they attack clonebox now they ask Gemini to closed their web page....

taken from w*w.i-had-a-dreambox.com
.......................................................................................................
The forums are currently offline for the following reason(s):

Das Forum ist bis auf Weiteres geschlossen. Bis zu einer offiziellen Aussage von Dream Multimedia haben wir uns entschlossen das Forum offline zu schalten. Es kann nicht sein, das wir für ein Vorgehen, für das wir nichts können, öffentlich an den Pranger gestellt werden und unsere Köpfe dafür hinhalten müssen.

Dream Multimedia ist nun ersteinmal an der Reihe sich zu den Vorfällen der letzten zwei Tage zu äußern.

Das Gemini Team

The Forum is currently closed.
We decided to close the forum till an official statement from DMM has arrived.
It is simply unaccaptable that we (the IHaD Team) are made responsible for actions taken by DMM.
It now is DMM's turn to make statement about the current situation.

The Gemini Team

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
what you mean is this the end of gemini?

Look DMM took the action against the clone boxes, gemini have closed the forum due to complaint's, since it wasn't gemini themselves who took the action then they have closed the forum for that reason.

Personally if you want the development to continue buy a proper box and support it so you give them the funds to continue, clone boxes need to be dismissed asap.

They are waiting for a statement from DMM because people are all asking the gemini team what went on, they cannot comment until they get the info back from DMM.

And i am quite happy with gemini on my OFFICIAL dreambox 500-s satellite receiver, the only people who are saying "i'm not trusting gemini again, gemini need to go asap" are the people who gambled on a clone box.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, I had a good look around the IHAd forum yesterday. One thing that seems to get up peoples nose is that they dismiss any responsibility, even though it looks suspicious that only their image is the one that kills boxes and not others. They do have an explenation (i.e. only they use the latest divers) but they also take the moral high ground, and tend to dismiss anyone who does not share their view on things as stupid. I am not saying the admins of the forum are all like this, but the general "feel" of the forum is a bit like this, and I have seen this even before all this happens. Also, some posts by admins or mods could be interpeted as "schadenfroh", (gloating) in the misfortune of those clone box owners. And lastly they cannot shake the suspicion that even though they did not do this, they knew of it...

freon

Reaction score
There is one problem with Gemini!!
Clone boxes are not their propperty - there should have been a warning for that.
Remeber the time bomb in Magic Module.
If I own a Net@box (clone of Dreambox) - that give You (Gemini) the power to kill my box?
Or does the Microsoft kills Your HDD (whole PC) if you have pirated XP or Vista?
Think people - they planted a time bomb into Image that You installed - it's like a virus planted inside instalation XP CD!?!!??!?!?!?!

tonyboyth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Siamese
My Location
Thailand
freon said:
Clone boxes are not their propperty - there should have been a warning for that.
Remeber the time bomb in Magic Module.
If I own a Net@box (clone of Dreambox) - that give You (Gemini) the power to kill my box?
Or does the Microsoft kills Your HDD (whole PC) if you have pirated XP or Vista?
Think people - they planted a time bomb into Image that You installed - it's like a virus planted inside instalation XP CD!?!!??!?!?!?!

I do agree on ur comments;

if DMM wants to make a combat with the clone producers, do they have any rights to destroy the clone box in the house of buyerssssss?

I have seen so far, only government authority in each country who is applying the piracy law(sss) can, not the copyright holder.

Isn't it?

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
freon said:

Bad example...Have you never changed your CPU, HDD or network card then?
XP and Vista will BOTH refuse to boot unless you phone the M$ help line and beg a new code...:mad:

freon

Reaction score
Vista yes - XP no!
By the way GPL is open source, and Xp or Vista is not!
Not the same - install Linux free dist. and install it on Your PC, then change what ever you like - it still runs ;)

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
tonyboyth said:
if DMM wants to make a combat with the clone producers, do they have any rights to destroy the clone box in the house of buyerssssss?
Dream have not destroyed any boxes. Just removed their illegally copied boot software installed without permission or license by the counterfeiters.

freon said:
By the way GPL is open source
The boot software is not GPL, in clone boxes it is an illegal copy of Dream's copyrighted software.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
freon said:
By the way GPL is open source

Busybox + Enigma are published under GPL but the drivers and the all important boot loader are NOT. This is the bit developed by Dream and which the updated Dream driver wiped on 'D' day - all the GPL/Open source code was untouched.

Harsh maybe but justified.

freon

Reaction score
I do not that you are right.
Dbox2 is the original - so everithing on Dream (all boxes) are produced from Dbox2. GPL says something diferent - If You are useing something under GPL then whole stuff uset is GPL. There is no semi GPL or licenced parts of GPL.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
who is gpl gemini project?

It's part of the boot loader that is licenced by DMM, they don't give out all the source code to the firmware creators anyways, just the majority of it.

To be fair i think somebody has been looking on a famous wiki site, but not all of the content is allowed to be modifed, some thing's are still attached to a licence. I'm not entirely sure if when Dbox went out of business that they just allowed DMM to work off their stuff without any bother.

I guess it's abit like the ROM file's in an old amiga, you can download the game off the net and play them if you own a copy yourself but the actual boot ROM is still licenced under amiga, so in order to play the game's you need this boot rom. But obviously using the boot rom without it being in an amiga itself is illegal.

Simular principle, to use a firmware you need to use the DMM boot.

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
My take on this is that DMM is going the wrong way by killing the clones. Gemini, their "official" partner, should take some of the blame, as coders they knew very well what they were doing and should have put a little note somewhere warning everyone.

These low blows do nothing for their reputation and make the customer fear for his 'legit' box. "Hey i could be next"...
In the end we all know it's all about the coin and we know very well how they like to over charge. Some, few, competitors do similar products with the same functions and equal if not better quality for less.

I was going to buy a dm800, but after this i'll wait for the competion to catch up and compare features and price before i get poket rapped.

algamri

Reaction score
• what ever the clone company did ... DMM should have taken the issue with them.

• Legally they should have warned people before sabotage their property.

• If the clone company did something wrong then they are to blame at the same time what DMM did is illegal and it is criminal offence.

• I my self is going to take DMM to court for their criminal act.

• Meantime people should not deal with or buy DMM products as their is other products in the market just as good if not better than DMM.

juustme

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 Shuttle Box XP Pro 800 FSB TwinHan PCI
My Location
uk
I can't help but think of the automotive analogy. When Fiat was done with their old design Lada took it up and everyone who bought the Lada's accepted that it was a Lada and not a Fiat.
We didn't hear about Fiat sabotaging Lada's to punish Lada customers.
Fiat just went on to build better cars and left Lada behind.

Is DMM not capable of producing a better product? Or conversely,
Are DMM, it's employee's and partners willing to be punished for any approaches/techniques they have used or allowed that were not created exclusively by their venture?

Sounds a bit like M$ building a business around "borrowing" designs and then labeling everyone else around a pir8te.

I purchased a clone to have fun and learn on. I am debating as to the direction of my next purchase especially in light of this sort of behavior.

What would the group recommend? Should I sell my clone and go back to a PC based system or wait for improved STB’s to come out?

PS My computer is an IBM clone made by Dell with an IBM clone CPU made by AMD (it works trouble free, no bombs no problems).

tonyboyth

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Siamese
My Location
Thailand
algamri said:
• Meantime people should not deal with or buy DMM products as their is other products in the market just as good if not better than DMM.

Any suggestion on others box?