England charged over tunnel fracas



The English FA and their Turkish counterparts have been charged with improper conduct of their players after the infamous half-time tunnel bust-up at the Euro 2004 qualifier in Istanbul.

Uefa have brought disciplinary action following a review of video evidence, the match reports from both referee and match observer and statements made to Uefa by both football associations.

No charges have been brought against individual players.

Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body will consider these charges - and a previously-announced charge against the Turkish FA relating to order in the stadium - at its next meeting on Thursday.

Uefa director of communications Mike Lee confirmed that the charge against the two FAs meant players from both sides were in the clear in terms of disciplinary action.

"There was no evidence against any single player that would enable a charge of violent conduct to be brought against a player," he told Sky Sports News.

"If they (the two FAs) are found guilty we are looking at some sort of a fine," he added.

Players were seen on television to become embroiled in an incident in the tunnel after tempers flared in the first half of the match.

Turkey defender Alpay berated David Beckham after he missed a first-half penalty in the goalless draw, and the pair clashed again as they walked off at half-time.

Other players became involved, and Italian referee Pierluigi Collina called both Beckham and Alpay into his room during the break to tell them to cool off.

However, Collina is believed not to have mentioned any individual player as being guilty of violent behaviour - and, as a result, they have escaped punishment.

The football associations of the two nations are instead to be brought to account for not controlling their players - a general charge in response to misbehaviour which has been used in the past where teams or countries have had large numbers of players booked. Usually a fine is imposed.

Thursday's disciplinary panel hearing will also deal with action against the Turkish FA in relation to flares being lit and a missiles thrown on to the pitch.