England v Austria

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Will the Swede replace the Turnip in tomorrows headlines?
I personally think any one of us could have picked a better side, and made better substitutions.
Alright I know I'm just jealous coz I don't get paid £4 million a year to go to
watch a premiership game every week and get to occasionally shag the secretary.

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate twin tuner 7100HD
Motorised Fracarro Penta 85cm
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
Beckham was awful (and I'm a fan of his) Gerrad & Lampard were poor, King was suspect and James was a clown!
Must try harder...

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Good goal by Gerrard, but wasn't he carrying an injury? so should not have played.
In my opinion Beckham should have played in the middle, with Shaun Wright Phillips on the right.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
James has always been a clown. He should wear a red nose.

Is that really the best keeper England can produce?
Surely not, but don't ask me to pick his replacement!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
prof said:
Good goal by Gerrard, but wasn't he carrying an injury? so should not have played.
In my opinion Beckham should have played in the middle, with Shaun Wright Phillips on the right.
I agree with you on SWP, and maybe Beckham could have played in goal....

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
I would have played Shrek in goal, but he went on to become a striker.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Calamity James fits him well doesn't it. Agree with most of the above but I thought King palyed well, as did Ashley Cole. Owen and Smith missed sitters.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Said after Portugal that we will win nothing with Ericsson in charge, he has to go.
He did a good job after Keegan left, but the job of winning something is beyond him and all ways will be. We had a good chance in World Cup in 2002, but we could not muster a shot on target against 10 man Brazil. If we had won it was Turkey in semi's and Germany in final surely not beyond us.
In Portugal after the dismal performance against the hosts, it would have been the semi's against Holland 50/50, and then a final against Greece who knows !
Thought we played well but could do with a more cutting edge up front.
Also thought back four played quite well, and at long, long last we had someone who can actually kick with his left foot playing on the left side of midfield which gives us much better balance.
With Campbell, Rooney and Rio back soon it's not all bad news as long as Ericsson goes we might stand a chance.
Because of his negative nature we have already missed out on the last two competions, if he stays we will miss out on the next two as well, just hope I'm wrong.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
prof said:
I would have played Shrek in goal, but he went on to become a striker.
Carlo Cudicini becomes eligable to play for England next year. There will be a big push to encourage him to step forward too. One of the best keepers in the world, and I for one pray that it happens.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
How does he become eligible then BG?
He is however, a world class keeper and plays for, I believe your club, unfortunately
my club has (cough!) calamity between the sticks, although I think he is doing alright
for us, and rather him than old safe?hands who nearly took us down last season.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Home Office rules would allow him to apply for British citizenship (i.e. dual nationality) after five years in the country - which he will achieve next July - and FIFA laws will authorise him to play for England if he has still not appeared in a competitive fixture for Italy at senior level.

See http://www.wldcup.com/news/2003Feb/20030208_17002_world_soccer.html

That fixes it for me!

jetkis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate twin tuner 7100HD
Motorised Fracarro Penta 85cm
Don't have Sky
My Location
Oxford
Beckham should play in centre midfield, against Austria he seemed to be trying to play there anyway. Give Shaun Right Phillips a go on the right. We need penatration down the right not Becks, who won't take on a granny let alone an Austrian left back!
Gerrads goal was quality but he looked reserved, perhaps it was his groin holding him back?

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
That bit surprises me, I didn't realise he had not been capped by Italy.
Someone should send that link to calamity.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
prof said:
Someone should send that link to calamity.
I think that's why he's looking over his shoulder, and not at the oncoming strikers...

Carlo's really unlucky with the other top quality keepers (Buffon and Toldo) that Italy have at the moment. He'd get into most other national sides I would have thought.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Without a doubt!