English Langauge on Digital Satelite

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky Digital Box, cheapo LNB0.3db,
80cm offset dish in Germany.
1.35m Offset Dish, Pace 2600 Sky Digi Box. Invacom Twin LNB. In Spain.
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
Hi All
My Sky box has just packed up, great. And as I'm moving soon, I don't want to sort out another one, so I bought myself a Digital Satellite Receiver and now i want to know, from my location in South Germany, which sat is best to point at for English free to air?
I have a 1m dish.
I set up my own sky digi before, so I can do the basics.

Thanks
Jon

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi Jon,
You will find the most FTA English channels on 28.2 E, which is the satellite that $ky UK uses. The FTA channels are mostly on 2D, which you may be able to get with your 1m dish. If you were getting them with your $ky box, you will still get them with your new receiver.
So basically, you don't need to move your dish.
cheers,
Robbo

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
Robbo71 said:
Hi Jon,
You will find the most FTA English channels on 28.2 E, which is the satellite that $ky UK uses. The FTA channels are mostly on 2D, which you may be able to get with your 1m dish. If you were getting them with your $ky box, you will still get them with your new receiver.
So basically, you don't need to move your dish.
cheers,
Robbo
thanks
now i have to just work out how to programme this damn reciever then, i made the mistake this afternoon of moving my dish about, the girlfriend kept saying, 'maybe the dish has moved, thats why it isn't working', wish I had not listened to her as usual.... :p
The new receiver I bought was a cheapo one, €50 and is preset to a few satelites (Astra 19.2, Hot Bird 13, Turksat 1c, Sirius 2/3, Amos 1, Hellas Sat 2), but I think i have to change the settings manualy to get the 28.2 settings, is that right?
What frequency do I need to put the setting to?
Polarisation?
Search Mode - Transponder? Or Satellite?

any help is great
thanks
Jon
p.s. My girlfriend is desperate to watch stuff so I need this to be sorted for tomorrow afternoon, otherwise I'm dead!:eek:

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I have a Technomate 1000D and to set up for a new satellite is very easy. It is just a matter of going into the installation menu, selecting the Satellite you want and pressing scan.

In order to do a scan though, you first have to be aligned to the correct sat.
If you don't have a sat meter the only way to do it is to use the quality indicator on the receiver (assuming it has one, it may have a beeper).

The receiver should already have programmed into it a default transponder for each sat (plus all the others). So to relign you dish to 28.2E (Astra 2) you will need to select that sat in the install menu and then very slowly adjust the dish position for maximum quality reading on the receiver. ( i.e put the bl**dy thing back where it was if you don't want to die;))

Obviously I can't tell you exactly how to do it on your receiver as I don't know what it is, but the principle is the same for whatever receiver (apart from $ky boxes of course).

Good Luck!

Oh the only settings you should need to put in are
Satellite-Astra2/Eurobird.
Sat degree 28.2E ( should default to this for Astra2)
LNB on (if you have a choice)
LNB type (universal) if there is a choice
LNB Freq (leave at default, should be 9.750/10.600)
22kHz - auto
DiSEqC 1.0- OFF
DiSEqC 1.1- OFF

The search mode you want is Satellite.
The polarisation should be set to auto or both.
The transponder freqs should be preset within the receiver so you shouldn't have to enter them manually.
( If you do, this is possible, but incredible tedious, I know I have done it with a $ky box using Lyngsat.com)
If you get stuck, post back.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
Robbo71 said:
I have a Technomate 1000D and to set up for a new satellite is very easy. It is just a matter of going into the installation menu, selecting the Satellite you want and pressing scan.

In order to do a scan though, you first have to be aligned to the correct sat.
If you don't have a sat meter the only way to do it is to use the quality indicator on the receiver (assuming it has one, it may have a beeper).

The receiver should already have programmed into it a default transponder for each sat (plus all the others). So to relign you dish to 28.2E (Astra 2) you will need to select that sat in the install menu and then very slowly adjust the dish position for maximum quality reading on the receiver. ( i.e put the bl**dy thing back where it was if you don't want to die;))

Obviously I can't tell you exactly how to do it on your receiver as I don't know what it is, but the principle is the same for whatever receiver (apart from $ky boxes of course).

Good Luck!
If you get stuck, post back.

the astra 2 or 28.2 astra is not in the satellite selection on my receiver... shit hey.
but i am able to adjust all the settings in the satellites that are already programmed in the box, so I guess i should be able to reprogramme one of the presets to Astra 2. or should i take it back to the shop for one that has the astra 2 settings pre programmed? (i really don't want to do that though)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, that is sh*t. Are you sure?

Both the receivers I have had, have had a list of all the current satellites in them, but with no channels programmed in, so it looks like there was no sats, there WAS sats, but no channels programmed.

Well anyway, you should be able to add a new satellite, with the correct details, and then manually add transponder frequencies and scan/search them. All the transponder frequencies are listed on Lyngsat.com.

Probably only worth sticking in the transponders for the channels you want as it will take some time.

It would also be a good idea to edit your profile and include the make and model of your new receiver you have in there, as there may be someone around who has that receiver and could give you help specific to your receiver.

As a last resort, yes you could try adding some new transponder freqs to one of the other sats, probably use one that you know you will never use though, like Turksat. I would not reccommend this option though as it is just not the correct way of doing it, and could get confusing.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
the new receiver is called, wait for it, Skydigital. is very basic looking, with a more complex settings menu.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
WTF. Is this a box intended for viewing $ky digital?
Is there a website link to it?
A $ky digital box would realistically only let you use it on Astra2 and would have all channels etc programmed in already for $ky UK.

When you bought it, what did the guy say it was for?

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
it is not intended for sky digital, is a digital sat receiver free to air. he said it would work etc, but was a young lad. swine. i think if i change some of the settings, which is possible then all will be ok. No website link, sorry. was a €50 special.... wish i got a better one now.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This site should give you all of the transponder details to add for English channels.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Sounds like they have just stuck a label on it saying $kydigital,
when it really just some eurobox made by whoever?

Still, you only paid 50 euros for it. Although my Technomate was only £59 UK and has plenty of support.

Let us know if you get it going though.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
so if i type in the freq. tp then it should adjust accordingly i hope

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, if you go to the link that our kindly Rolfw has provided you will find a list of all the transponders on Astra 2. The FTA channels are mainly on 2D (2nd to last column), with the $ky on the other beams/satellites.

If you were getting say Film4 on you $ky box then putting in the transponder frequency of 10729 (10.729 GHz) with Vertical polarisation (V) and do a transponder scan/search you should get Film 4 and Film 4+1. (once your dish is re-aligned). To align your dish you will have to make sure that the frequency for the transponder is also selected when doing so.

If when you do a scan, and you get a load of non-english channels, you are on the wrong satellite, as the same transponder frequencies obviously can be present on more than one satellite.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
excellent, will give it a go tomorrow then. cheers

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Good Luck!

and you'd better get up early tomorrow if you want it done by the afternoon.;)

Otherwise it will be Auf Wiedersehen.:eek:

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
i hope it wont take that long....
off i go to buy a sat meter, one with a needle i think.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yeah, that should make life easier. The one I've got has a needle and a little knob that you twiddle. You set the knob so that the needle is mid scale and then very slowly move the dish and watch it move up or down. When you're properly aligned, any movement of the dish will make the needle go down. If at any time the needle hits max scale, you just twiddle the knob to make the needle go to the middle again. It also makes an annoying whining sound which changes pitch when you you're getting a stronger signal. The meter is connected in line, so don't forget to get yourself a short length of pre-made sat cable, if you haven't got one already.

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
righto,
this morning I thought I would connect an LNB to a peice of my cable, so I attatched it before the window cable ( View attachment 11959 ) and I had some signal strength, I then tried it on this new box that I bought, the Skyplus 220f ( _http://www.skyplus.de/ ), the signal reception went up on that. So I'm pretty sure that its actually the thin window coax cable. And I think my house guests were the ones to break it with their persistant opening and closing of the window, despite the arctic like conditions here in Germany at the moment, pissed off? who me? yes. very.

Attachments

• fensterd18li.jpg
    fensterd18li.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 23

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
ok
i got a new window coax, and guess what, bingo, it was that what was broken. it seems one of our visitors thought that he had to close the window so hard it broke the paper thin window cable.
thanks for your help. when i decide to cancel my sky subs, at least I know that I can get the tv without paying!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Thats Ok,
Glad you get it working again.
Robbo