English language channels in Germany

M

Mike16

I am a US serviceman stationed in Germany. I have a Nokia 9800S (Viaccess CAM and a CI slot).

I understand that many Scandanavian channels do not dub English programs. From what I know, the best choice seems to be the Thor sats and a Conax card ("Dream Package" I think). I don't know what UK programming is available other than Sky, but that seems too expensive for the channels offered.

I am looking for a setup that has US shows (Friends, Simpsons, etc.) and UK programming for the whole family. I would like a good selection of channels. If I can get Russian and Spanish programs that would be an added plus.

What is the best option? I would also like to keep it legal. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Well for a start, the "dream package" Conax card you mention is certainly not legal. It is a pirate card. It is no more legal than all the Irdeto & Seca/Mediaguard cards one can purchase/program (goldwafers, etc - read elsewhere on this board).

If you are to "keep it legal" and you are based in Germany, then then you are pretty limited re. premium Enlish-language US channels. There are obviously many free-to-air channels such as NBC, CNN, C-Span, Fox-sports, etc, if you wish to purchase a steerable satellite system and hunt them out. There are also from time to time Hispanic channels which appear unencrypted (currently there's a whole package FTA on the satellite at 43West).

But for "mainstream" or premium channels, you are restricted to whatever the satellite providers in your country of residence include in their particular subscription packages. In Germany, Premiere-World is the biggest. They do offer some films under there Cinedom PPV channels whcih are broadcast in the original language, but almost all of the rest - including all of the free-to-air German stuff - is dubbed into German. PremiereWorld also includes BBC-Prime, the British service aimed at foreign countries (but all original BBC 1&2 programs, some current, in English).

You will need to consult a source like http://www.satcodx.com where it is possible to sort channels on language. See what there is.

But prepare to be disappointed. Unless you're willing to relax on the "legal" aspect...

2old

M

Mike16

Thanks for the info.

Forget that legal stuff. What do you think is the best option for premium English channels in Germany? And where is a good place to get it (mail-order, internet, etc.) without traveling to the country of origin?

Mike

R

Robbie

Probably your best bet is to buy an Aston Seca cam for your receiver, and programme your own smart card. 2old4this has produced details of how to do this on this web site.
The Astra satellite has an enormous number of channels which are broadcast in their original language, usually English, and the Dutch general entertainment channels show a lot of imported American series such as Home Improvement, ER etc. You will also be able to receive French and Spanish bouquets.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
And to really maximise your viewing options:
- a single 90cm dish aimed between the sats Astra1 & Hotbird
- 2 universal LNBs mounted on the dish, one piking up the Astra1 signal, the other Hotbird.
- a digital receiver with 2 CI (Common Interface) slots and DiSeqC v1.0 or higher - for sweitching between those two LNBs.
- one Seca/Mediaguard CI CAM
- one Irdeto CI-CAM (old type with flash eeprom, re-programmed to an AllCAM such as "46se")
- two "goldwafer" cards, one programed for Irdeto, one for Seca.

Programming you can do yourself with the right kit. See theFAQ under the "smartcards" forum.

2old

M

Mike16

2old,

I was in the process of accumulating the equipment which you had suggested to maximize my view options (as described above), but I was deployed to Kosovo for six months and have only now returned.

I have everything on your list except the Seca CAM, the two goldwafer cards and the requisite programmer. Also, you specified an "Irdeto CI-CAM (old type with flash eeprom, re-programmed to an AllCAM such as "46se")." The Irdeto CAM I have says "Irdeto Access, A Mindpoert Conditional Access Co." I don't know if this CAM meets the specs you describe.

Anyways, I am still trying to setup the system you detailed. Have there been any new developments that would affect your recommendations and your instructions under Smartcard/FAQ forum? Also, could you recommend any internet-based vendors where I might be able to see this equipment?

Thanks again for the help,
Mike

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
From the hardware perspective there are only 2 types of Irdeto CI CAM
- the original series, which is re-programmable
- the newer "Euro" series which is not re-programmable.
The only external indicator is that the Euro CAM has a statement printed on it that reverse-engineering is illegal (or words to that effect). The originbal series does not.

But note: you can also place your CAM in the receiver and check what it reports itself as through the CAM menu. If it reports itself as v0.04.60se/46se/v0.04.47se/47se/allcam/freecam then you know it must be the reprogrammable type since none of those software versions are the original Irdeto as supplied by Mindport.

New developments? Well the Viaccess hack went pulic in February so you might like to get yourself a Viaccess CI CAM too...

And if you still want to but a Mediaguard (Astoncrypt/Seca) CAM then be aware that the rumour has it the new v1.06 CAMs incoroprate a restrictive country-code along the lines of the C+ controlled Mediahighway boxes. Whether it's true or not I don't know (I doubt it) but if you get a v1.05/4/3 then you know you're ok...

Re internet vendors, there are many, many satellite dealerships & manufacturers that have extensive internet sites. I'm loathe to recommend one or the other (and in any case, I don't live in the UK so my "favourite" dealers are no good to you....)
Just go to Alta Vista and type in what you want to search for.

Or buy a copy of What Satellite and check out the thousands of ads there (many of which include URLs to their web sites)

2old

M

Mike16

2old,

I finally got all the equipment you specified. I followed the FAQ/directions on programming the SECA and Irdeto cards. It was much easier than I had anticipated. The English langauge program selection is incredible, particularly the Dutch and Spanish bouquets. I still have some minor bugs to work out, but those would be under a different thread.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike16

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Good to hear you found your way through the jungle. Can be a bit overwhelming when you start, as I still remember from my own struggles!
2old

M

Mike16

2old,

My tour in Germany is about up and I am schedule to return to the States next month (southeast Arizona to be precise). I ended up with a Strong 4375 digital/analog receiver, motor, and 80cm dish. The receiver is capable of receiving NTSC broadcast. I also have Irdeto, Seca, and Viacess cams and VXmulti programmer. We will be in the States for a least three years. We may or may not return to Europe after that. My wife is Hispanic and is very interested in the Latin American channels

My question is: How useful will my accumulated equipment be in the U.S.?