enternet crossover cable??----for file transferring???

headsat

Reaction score
I need to connect my PC which has an ordinary internet socket to the dreambox, just to transfer files.
Is the cable i meed a " enternet crossover cable??
The reason i am confused is an enternet cable has a bigger plug (which connects to dreambox) than the plug needed to connect to the PC. Is there an adapter available.??
I am not a broadband customer yet!!
Regards,
Headsat

malling

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Midlands UK
I think you are referring to an ethernet crossover cable. This is the type used to connect just two PC'S or devices together so they can communicate with each other

You would need a network card installed in your computer to accept the crossover connection (you cant use your modem)

The connectors on each end of the crossover cable are RJ45 connectors.

Hope this helps.

Malling.

headsat

Reaction score
malling said:
I think you are referring to an ethernet crossover cable. This is the type used to connect just two PC'S or devices together so they can communicate with each other

You would need a network card installed in your computer to accept the crossover connection (you cant use your modem)

The connectors on each end of the crossover cable are RJ45 connectors.

Hope this helps.

Malling.
Thanks Malling,
can you explain what i need to communicate between the dreambox/ modem.
I will not be using the internet----do i in fact have to get a network card installed.??? just to do this.?

Is it simple to install if i need it. Can you tell me what to ask computer shop for.?
Regards,
Headsat

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
headsat said:
Thanks Malling,
I will not be using the internet----do i in fact have to get a network card installed.??? just to do this.?

Is it simple to install if i need it. Can you tell me what to ask computer shop for.?
Regards,
Headsat

Yes you will need to install an ethernet card in your computer, so the first thing you need is a spare pci slot in your pc(they are the long white slots situated at the back end of the motherboard). if you have one spare then you need to buy a pci ethernet card(sometimes called a NIC(Network Interface Card) these are relativly cheap at £8-£10 from local shops(alot cheaper from the net). these are very easy to install just push them into the white slots and if you run xp it will do the rest for you(if not just load the drivers supplied with the card) and away you go. all you need to do then is check out the idiots guide on how to setup the db and program accordingly. SIMPLE :)
Any problems just come back here and we'll try to help you out as much as we can.
Good luck
BMT

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
If you are woried about opening your PC you could use a USB network card. I prefer the internal PCI cards myself.

You refer to a connector on your PC being smaller than the ethernet one. You are refering to the 4 pin RJ11 connector that connects your modem to the phone line. Ethernet connectors are RJ45 - same style but bigger.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I have a new USB network adapter that you can have for £7 inc p&P (is it OK to offer something for sale here)?

PM me if you want it- full instructions/ manual & CD included.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
We have a seperate area for members to buy and sell things. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
headsat said:
Thanks Malling,
Headsat

Just a question - why won't you use the internet? The dreambox is best used in conjunction with an open internet connection for updating keys and cams. Even with a 56k Dial up it is working quite well...

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hi Headsat,

When you open the computer be careful, most components, including the network card, can be damaged by static electricity from your body. So, keep touching frequently a metal earth body while installing.

Regards, pcd.