chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
ESPN has agreed a three-year broadcasting deal with Premier Rugby to show live matches from next season.

The deal allows the American company to televise 43 games exclusively live, including one semi-final and the Guinness Premiership final.

ESPN has effectively taken over the arrangement Premier Rugby had with Setanta before the Irish pay-TV channel folded early this year.

The contract should limit the financial impact that collapse had on UK rugby.

Sky Sports will show the other semi-final as part of its package of 26 live games.

It means the total number of televised Premiership matches next season is more than double this season's 33.

The original joint agreement with Setanta and Sky Sports, announced last December, boosted the Premiership's domestic and international rights income to £54m.

When Setanta folded, Premier Rugby was understood to be faced with the prospect of losing around £7m a season.

ESPN was initially awarded Setanta's forfeited Barclays Premier League football rights and last week they agreed a four-year deal to broadcast the FA Cup.

ESPN already broadcast the French Top 14 and recently announced an agreement to show archive matches and footage from each of the six Rugby World Cup tournaments to date on ESPN Classic.

Source: BBC Sport

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
ESPN has agreed a three-year broadcasting deal with Premier Rugby to show live matches from next season.

The deal allows the American company to televise 43 games exclusively live, including one semi-final and the Guinness Premiership final.

ESPN has effectively taken over the arrangement Premier Rugby had with Setanta before the Irish pay-TV channel folded early this year.

The contract should limit the financial impact that collapse had on UK rugby.

Sky Sports will show the other semi-final as part of its package of 26 live games.

It means the total number of televised Premiership matches next season is more than double this season's 33.

The original joint agreement with Setanta and Sky Sports, announced last December, boosted the Premiership's domestic and international rights income to £54m.

When Setanta folded, Premier Rugby was understood to be faced with the prospect of losing around £7m a season.

ESPN was initially awarded Setanta's forfeited Barclays Premier League football rights and last week they agreed a four-year deal to broadcast the FA Cup.

ESPN already broadcast the French Top 14 and recently announced an agreement to show archive matches and footage from each of the six Rugby World Cup tournaments to date on ESPN Classic.

Source: BBC Sport